Feral Hogs No Longer Just a Rural Concern

March 13, 2007

7d845761c5.jpg

Feral Hogs No Longer Just a Rural Concern

AUSTIN, Texas — Problems with exotic, invasive plants and animals—species that did not evolve in Texas and don’t belong here—continue to worsen statewide. One escalating issue involves feral hogs, which have been a problem for decades on rural ranch land, but in recent years have begun to cause damage in cities.

Link to full article:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20070313a

Link to "The Feral Hog in Texas" TPWD publication:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

• 1 month later...

It's funny that I just noticed this subject today.  I had to go to the beach to fix a water problem at the house and on the way down there. traveling on HW73 about 3 miles before you get to Belle Oaks golf course, I noticed something redish, brown near the edge of the tree line and told my wife that I thought that was a hog.  I turned around and went back and sure enough, there was a sow and a bunch of little ones.  The grass was high so I didn't get much of a clear look at all of them.  I had my camera but they didn't show up very well.  The sow made a bee line for the brush and I hollered and several little ones scrambled for the trees.  Until I hollered I only saw one little pig, then a bunch took off.  They are definately down here in our area.

It's funny that I just noticed this subject today.  I had to go to the beach to fix a water problem at the house and on the way down there. traveling on HW73 about 3 miles before you get to Belle Oaks golf course, I noticed something redish, brown near the edge of the tree line and told my wife that I thought that was a hog.  I turned around and went back and sure enough, there was a sow and a bunch of little ones.  The grass was high so I didn't get much of a clear look at all of them.  I had my camera but they didn't show up very well.  The sow made a bee line for the brush and I hollered and several little ones scrambled for the trees.  Until I hollered I only saw one little pig, then a bunch took off.  They are definately down here in our area.

If they make to that golf course it won't be pretty.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami