PNG Student Arrested for Making Terroristic Threat

PhatMack19

1 hour ago, Whoa said:

Police are not obligated to notify anyone.  Not a Lawyer but maybe it took until today to file warrant and arrest.  Privacy Issues too. 

100% sure if you ask a 10 grader there they knew.

Im talking about the school notifying parents before they find out thru the news. But on the other hand, i can see not wanting to cause wide spread panic. I'm "freaking out" after the fact.

42 minutes ago, NDNation said:

Im surprised they released his name, since he's only 17. I guess when you make terroristic threats, you lose your rights.

I talked to my son a little after school was out, and he didn't know anything about it.

17+ they can release his name I believe.  Here is his picture with a little more info. 

This is the hidden content, please

3 hours ago, NDNation said:

Im surprised they released his name, since he's only 17. I guess when you make terroristic threats, you lose your rights.

I talked to my son a little after school was out, and he didn't know anything about it.

A 17 year old is an adult in Texas. A juvenile 14-16 can be certified in court to stand trial as an adult and if so, the name can be release. There is no provision in the law to release a name by the seriousness of the crime.

I am not sure what to do about the "lose your rights" comment. There are no rights coming into play here on the release of a name. It is a matter of statutory law, not "rights". 

5 hours ago, NDNation said:

The police department found out on 4/13. I want to know why I'm just finding out about it thru the news.

Freedom of the speech does not mean that the police have to release details of ongoing investigations to the public. If the press or anyone else finds out about it, it is generally okay to publish it with I believe some laws on national security being protected even under the First Amendment. 

The public might be shocked to know what the police know that is not public. 

On 4/20/2017 at 7:58 PM, tvc184 said:

Freedom of the speech does not mean that the police have to release details of ongoing investigations to the public. If the press or anyone else finds out about it, it is generally okay to publish it with I believe some laws on national security being protected even under the First Amendment. 

The public might be shocked to know what the police know that is not public. 

I didn't expect notification from the PD. I'm talking about the School District. On the other hand, I can see why they didn't notify the parents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 8:46 AM, NDNation said:

I didn't expect notification from the PD. I'm talking about the School District. On the other hand, I can see why they didn't notify the parents.

Exactly, so as to not cause a panic.  Sounds like they handled it quietly and removed him from the campus before anything happened.