*Bridge City 2 vs. Silsbee 1 Final/Tuesday*

What was wrong with the umpires?  Were they calling too many strikes or not calling enough? The pitchers combined for 26 strikeouts so I am interested in whether or not they are that good - which I think they are - or are the numbers  inflated due to bad calls.  Somebody that saw the game give me some feedback!

On a couple of occasions when the catcher has to dive out to catch the ball and it is called a strike, that may answer your question.  It was called consistently for both sides but not by the book.  I thought Silsbee blew a golden opportunity when they had runners at 2nd & 3rd with the #4 hitter up and tried a squeeze play with 2 strikes, I believe with 1 or no outs.  He fouled it back for a strikeout.  Don't understand the thinking there.

On a couple of occasions when the catcher has to dive out to catch the ball and it is called a strike, that may answer your question.  It was called consistently for both sides but not by the book.  I thought Silsbee blew a golden opportunity when they had runners at 2nd & 3rd with the #4 hitter up and tried a squeeze play with 2 strikes, I believe with 1 or no outs.  He fouled it back for a strikeout.  Don't understand the thinking there.

The coach was just trying to make something happan, With the ump's and good pitching by Stringer he was trying to get some runs.

From what I can tell by reading about the game I like the coaches attempt to make something happen.

I am assuming that when someone wrote that the squeeze was with one or no outs that it was actually with one out.  I don't think the coach tried to squeeze with no outs.

It sounds like they had already stranded a lot of runners.  It also sounded like the other pitcher had struck out quite a few hitters.  The coach gave the kid two strikes to hit the runners in and then in desperation tried a squeeze.

There are many other factors that could have come into play when making the bold decision that he made.

Maybe the four hole hitter had already struck out two or three times.  Maybe the four hole hitter is a good bunter and if he just at minimum fouls the pitch off, it would then be in the hands of the five hole guy.

Maybe the five hole hitter was not the guy that he wanted to put his team's success on the line with.

I applaud the gutzy call from the Silsbee Coach. 

So to you caoch, good job at having the guts to do what you thought you had to do to help your kids win.  I salute you.

ROC

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami