Concerns About Social Security

whsalum

Last night I watched a very concerning commentary on Social Security. Seems the plan is to curtail benefits to those who have managed to build their own nest egg. It also is to push back the age that those under 50 will be able to draw benefits. The reasoning is that the program is bankrupt. . For years people in this country were required to pay in to social security, those that were responsible also attempted to put back a little for a rainy day or for retirement ( savings accounts, 401k etc.) The people that will be punished for this blatant misuse of government funds are the very ones that have kept the system afloat for years !! How about the folks that spent the money, replace it. What ya'll think.

No freaking way Politicians could let money pile up and not get in it.  It's comparable to putting a pound of powdered cocaine on the table of a home of a recovering addict.  They've used it, spent it, wasted it, but the money isn't there anymore.   Yep, how about everyone in Congress start putting 50% of their salary into SS until it's solvent.  And if you came into Congress with a total worth of $250,000, and leave 20 years later with a total worth in the millions, 50%.  Just thinking outside the box.

Btw, got @ a $5 a month raise this year in SS, but Medicare went up @ $20.  Don't have to be a math whiz to see old folks lost money.  Reminds me of the title of an old John Wayne movie, They Are Expendable.

2 hours ago, baddog said:

From what I understand, the working force has been footing the bill for the generation ahead for years now. In fact, didn't it have to start out that way?

Medicare has been siphoned to cover medicaid.

Good thing our politicians have a retirement plan.

First, a personal story.  In the late 50's, my Dad, who was a union carpenter, said he was going to vote Repulican, after being a life long Democrat.  I ask why.  He said, "The dam democrats are stealing (using) all the money out of the Social Security (trust fund).  I didn't know what he was referring to specifically.  But I found this great link which indicates somethings rotten in DC (Denmark).  Goes thru 2009.  Please look at this, especially Questions 24, 25 & 26.  Based on the info there, it's only paid out more than collected in 11 years.  And in total, they've collected @ 2.5 trillion dollars more than they've paid out, and best as I cud tell, that did not include the interest earned all these years.  So yes, they been using that SS money for other things.

This is the hidden content, please