New Caney 31 Beaumont Central 28/FINAL - 3OT

WOSgrad

3 hours ago, biaplayer said:

you can say what you want, PNG was without 5 starters and still came away with the win not to mention the poor officiating. We have all 5 starters in we beat the hill running away. If a so called team cant stop one QB something is wrong. I watched Crosby play at what yall call full power wasn't impressed the QB was a one man show  for them, LSU is getting a good one. Sooner or later everyone will realize that it comes down to matchups not everyone matches up as well as others. Out of all the teams ive watched play I still think PAM has the best athletes by far. But this is high school football and anything can happen. Manvel will roll New Caney next week by 35 or better. I hear Crosby talk about losing to Porter because they had 3 injuries so I guess we should all put that into perspective.  I thought we did a pretty good job against the hill with our 5. but im not gonna make an excuse for it. As Statt said next man up! WE split with 21-5a this year and the teams that won were the ones that were expected to win! I myself think had Nederland not had to forfeit the game they would have beat New Caney! Thought Central did a hell of a job for making it a game, I never saw it going into 3 overtimes myself. Had to have been one hell of a game.

Ditto

4 hours ago, biaplayer said:

you can say what you want, PNG was without 5 starters and still came away with the win not to mention the poor officiating. We have all 5 starters in we beat the hill running away. If a so called team cant stop one QB something is wrong. I watched Crosby play at what yall call full power wasn't impressed the QB was a one man show  for them, LSU is getting a good one. Sooner or later everyone will realize that it comes down to matchups not everyone matches up as well as others. Out of all the teams ive watched play I still think PAM has the best athletes by far. But this is high school football and anything can happen. Manvel will roll New Caney next week by 35 or better. I hear Crosby talk about losing to Porter because they had 3 injuries so I guess we should all put that into perspective.  I thought we did a pretty good job against the hill with our 5. but im not gonna make an excuse for it. As Statt said next man up! WE split with 21-5a this year and the teams that won were the ones that were expected to win! I myself think had Nederland not had to forfeit the game they would have beat New Caney! Thought Central did a hell of a job for making it a game, I never saw it going into 3 overtimes myself. Had to have been one hell of a game.

It's not that it was 3 injuries when Crosby lost to Porter, its who the injuries were keeping out.  You take away Lejune, your QB , and one more stud on offense and play Central.  You'd get rolled.  Next man up thing is cool in theory but sometimes, certain players can be replaced, but their production can't be.

2 hours ago, CougarCal said:

It's not that it was 3 injuries when Crosby lost to Porter, its who the injuries were keeping out.  You take away Lejune, your QB , and one more stud on offense and play Central.  You'd get rolled.  Next man up thing is cool in theory but sometimes, certain players can be replaced, but their production can't be.

With Hughes, Bost, McZeal out yes they are key players. I don't know if you are discounting their talent.

14 hours ago, pakronos said:

U wish...last time we played it was a slug fest...all our defensive stats went out with freak injuries. That's when the game was lost....sooo just like PAM  beat the brakes off a team that beat you...so that means Crosby wouldn't stand a chance against PAM...24-21 with 8min left isn't steam rolling anyone...you ae very luck PAM  is in d1 lol

Whatever man, you're all over the place. If Crosby is lucky we're in D2 you're lucky Manvel is on the other side of the bracket and you don't have to get beat by 35 in the second round like Ned had to against George Ranch playing from that same position last year. 

I said at the beginning of the season that PAM should run through that district with ease due to the enrollment and talent comparable to that district and they almost did. Fact of the matter is that Vidor was the hottest team in your district to finish the season and you lost to them, just like Crosby took an unexpected loss a couple of months ago from a team that started district play hot. Both teams Crosby and PAM lost to would've finished 8-3 had Porter not had their game cancelled. Only difference is that Vidor won your strict and Porter finished fourth in ours.

PNG also won a share of your district title and struggled with a BH squad that lost to Crosby and NC by a combined 7 tds. The New Caney team I saw playing against Central during regulation was far from what I saw during district play. You have to give Central credit for making the needed plays, just like BH made every play except the last one against you district champion also. All four #1 seeds won just like the UIL set it up. Good luck to you team, don't lose to Elkins.

22 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Yes they are, but you know deep down without RJ you know what would happen.  

Exactly, they struggled to beat BH with Johnson playing and BH throwing three first quarter picks. BH outplayed PNG the last three quarters of the game though. Jaiden played most of the game for us and we beat BH handily. 

They're talking about us but they literally have no offense besides Johnson, average at receiver and probably below average at rb. Even the passing game they do have is a simplistic raise and throw it straight to the receiver the qb is looking at which is why BH started batting so many down later in the game. Not to mention they're a terrible matchup personnel wise on defense for anybody who can throw the ball, been a while since I seen BH receivers burning people. Interesting the perspectives.

4 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Exactly, they struggled to beat BH with Johnson playing and BH throwing three first quarter picks. BH outplayed PNG the last three quarters of the game though. Jaiden played most of the game for us and we beat BH handily. 

They're talking about us but they literally have no offense besides Johnson, average at receiver and probably below average at rb. Even the passing game they do have is a simplistic raise and throw it straight to the receiver the qb is looking at which is why BH started batting so many down later in the game. Not to mention they're a terrible matchup personnel wise on defense for anybody who can throw the ball, been a while since I seen BH receivers burning people. Interesting the perspectives.

I didn't want it to sound like excuses, but you're right. Also, some teams are use to playoffs. This year BH team didn't have single kid ever play in a playoff game. I think the big lights got to several of our players, hence bad offensive play in 1st half. Next year should start to get interesting.  Every person I spoke with from PNG said they were lucky to win that game and if it wasn't for Shug, it would've been ugly for the Indians.  The only one's that think differently is a handful of posters on this site. Good luck to all of the teams left We'll be rooting for ya'll even PNG. Lol

7 hours ago, biaplayer said:

You guys don't know our team very well. First, RJ is a dominate player no doubt, never argued that. But you haven't seen Preston Hughes at 100 percent either. With him back there with RJ it is a totally different story. I would say those 4th Downs you guys stopped us on don't happen and Preston gets the first. also, let's say RJ never was. Austin Bost steps up at QB in the style of Adam Morse if not better. Different type of team. But good too. The only reason Austin ain't QB is because RJ is of a level that rarely comes to a program like PNG, or any other school.  I agree RJ won that game for us, but that's what he does. If Hughes, Bost, McZeal are 100 percent, it ain't that close. Another caveat I want to throw in is Runnels. He was going to be our starting RB until his ACL blow out before the season. Had he been able to play, we would be very tough to beat. He is a beast. But alas, he is not and we did pretty good with out him. RJ and Logan pushed over in a tough win against a very good BH team when we needed them, for that I am happy. 

Also, Logan has pressured QBs all season and has had several sacks. Because he didn't come off the field, his tongue was dragging. It took away his ability to threaten the QB. changed the dynamics of the game. Our d didn't threaten the QB as much as we normally do which allowed him more time throw and take advantage of our weak spot and that is our d backs.

1 hour ago, TradenupBH said:

I didn't want it to sound like excuses, but you're right. Also, some teams are use to playoffs. This year BH team didn't have single kid ever play in a playoff game. I think the big lights got to several of our players, hence bad offensive play in 1st half. Next year should start to get interesting. Every person I spoke with from PNG said they were lucky to win that game and if it wasn't for Shug, it would've been ugly for the Indians.  The only one's that think differently is a handful of posters on this site. Good luck to all of the teams left We'll be rooting for ya'll even PNG. Lol

That's what I was telling my buddy at the game. BH and New Caney both have to realize they start taking score when you blow the whistle. Same problem for NC last year, same problem for KP until they got it figured out and the same problem for Porter although I think they would've lost anyway. The more you go to the playoffs the easier getting ready for them becomes though.

Completely different mindsets for kids that haven't had to get ready for playoff games versus kids that look forward to the intensity the playoffs bring starting the previous Summer offseason. Frustrated the heck out of me last night that for the second year in a row New Caney acted like they were shocked the other team showed up and actually had football players. I think you saw that when for the first time to my knowledge Coach Pennington called a timeout and went full Jerry Stewart on his squad. 

Really liked what I saw from BH post first quarter though, excellent coaching job in what looked like to me a complete philosophy change offensively from what Cauthen was struggling with early. Physically BH is still two or three players on both sides of the ball from where they need to be to start making runs but I think those players could be coming sooner than later. Congrats on the improvement, I see y'all going 9-1 in the regular season with what you have coming back next year. 

1 hour ago, FrodoNDN said:

Also, Logan has pressured QBs all season and has had several sacks. Because he didn't come off the field, his tongue was dragging. It took away his ability to threaten the QB. changed the dynamics of the game. Our d didn't threaten the QB as much as we normally do which allowed him more time throw and take advantage of our weak spot and that is our d backs.

Errrrr, I discuss your team every week with friends from Groves, actually went to the 1st round volleyball playoff game in Crosby.  I'm well aware of Bost being the backup QB and 3rd baseman in baseball.  He's a good athlete.  The comparison was from a game Crosby play against Porter without their anchor on defense (which that would be LL), without Netherly(which that would be RJ), and without Squirrel(so I said pick any other dominant offensive player).  I just stated if you guys played Central without them they would've rolled you.  

14 hours ago, Bronco94 said:

When you don't nothing to loose, sometimes a team shows up to play. That's the playoffs for you, yea yea yea I know, we gotta wait til next year.

I totally agree with you, not sure what next year has to do with any of this though. I was just stating a point where they would have finished if the forfeit wouldn't have came down.

18 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

14.2, what is an average receiver? Is Wiley average for you guys?

A receiver that's not going to cause a matchup problem. Wiley is faster than anybody PNG has on their roster. I think BH had the two best receivers on the field. #10 and #1 from BH ran past PNG's defense even though they were playing off coverage with a two high safeties. They did it multiple times but the two that stick out are the two Langelier tds that got called back for holding and when #1 smoked PNG's secondary on that last drive of the game but Cauthen underthrew him and the PNG player had time to recover and make a finger tip play saving a game-winning TD. I don't know what y'all look like with McZeal out there in person but right now PNG isn't going to put anybody out there that's going to scare you athletically, that's what I mean by average.    

Well Riggs actually has more receiving yards than Wiley,  from what I've seen at Maxpreps. He runs a consistent 4.4 40. so maybe he is a little more than average based on your criteria. Assuming Wiley is sub 4.4 40, based on your analysis then OK he's faster. Hughes is also 4.4 40, btw. I also said that our secondary is our weak point and have said it all year. Also, we didn't put pressure on BH QB which has helped all year. That was because Lejueune was going both ways and wasn't 100 percent on d. Also Bost, our best safety went out hurt. Allowed QB to have time.

10 minutes ago, Brubaker said:

I have seen PNG play several times and they don't have a 4.4 guy on their team.  A couple of guys can run well, but there are very few 4.4 guys playing D1 football, much less concentrated at PNG.  PNG has above average overall team speed though I will say that.

I agree people toss around 4.4 and 4.3 way too much. I only know of 2 varsity football players in the Houston area that's running a 4.3 Craig Williams (Crosby) and Caleb Jolivette (Manvel). With that said I don't think there's a whole lot more athletes running in the 4.4s.

7 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

Maybe not laser approved, but certainly clocked at that by coaches. I know Faircloth clocked Hughes at 4.46. Riggs was about the same.  But Hughes was on sprint relay team that made it to regionals, so he can run. My point is I think Riggs is better than average receiver. 

Does the QB have pocket time?  

14 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

Maybe not laser approved, but certainly clocked at that by coaches. I know Faircloth clocked Hughes at 4.46. Riggs was about the same.  But Hughes was on sprint relay team that made it to regionals, so he can run. My point is I think Riggs is better than average receiver. 

4.46 on the hand time by your high school coach is probably a 4.6 at best. I don't know who Riggs is and if he didn't play against BH I've never seen him play so I can't really comment. The first half of the season PNG played one of the weakest 5A schedules in Texas so I wouldn't go off who has the most receiving yards. For instance, he has more yards than McZeal but if he was really a better player he would have the same offers.

52 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

4.46 on the hand time by your high school coach is probably a 4.6 at best. I don't know who Riggs is and if he didn't play against BH I've never seen him play so I can't really comment. The first half of the season PNG played one of the weakest 5A schedules in Texas so I wouldn't go off who has the most receiving yards. For instance, he has more yards than McZeal but if he was really a better player he would have the same offers.

Riggs is just a junior

18 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

I'm not saying they are slow, they are both have well above average speed, my eye would say they are running in the 4.6 range.  Very respectable for high school.