How many games minimum before you can even consider it a rivalry?

I was bored, so I went and viewed Liberty's win/loss history. I didn't count it out , but it appears we have played Dayton and Hull-Daisetta , then Cleveland, more than any other teams in our history. It's been a long time since we have played dayton since they moved up a classification, and it's been awhile since we have played Daisetta since they moved down. We played Dayton a total of 52 times in our history more than any other team, HD and cleveland were close I didn't count it out. Now I know other factors go into a "rivalry" not just how many times we have played but I would say dayton being the next town over only separated by the trinity river, i would say that is a rivalry. But that's not why I made this thread I wanna know how many games yall think it even takes to start a rivalry, and if you guys would consider HJ and Liberty a rivalry game, with 37 meetings between the 2 teams, Liberty leads 22-13 with 2 ties, met in the first round of the playoffs twice and were in the same district for several year, and are now in the same district again.

Guest Aledoalumni

For me it depends. I think a rivalry can be made in a couple ways. So the number of times you have to play a school before they are a rival differs. Recent playoff history(4-5 games)-  if you play a school several years in a row I could count that as a rivalry. District(10+ games)- if the games always mean something between your school and another(playoff spot or district championship). Location(1 game)- if you play the nearest team year after year. One thing to me that is important in a rivalry team is that the record is as close to .500 as possible. Having one team continue to win does not count as a rivalry to me. 

Good topic @TexasPanther2012, this is a very interesting question.  I think that playing a school for 5-6 years in a row with close games represents a rivalry.  I thought that Liberty vs. Anahuac was a rivalry, because you both have the same school colors and mascot.  Also, I figured the close proximity of the school would make it a rivalry, in the past the games btw the 2 schools have been really interesting.

1 hour ago, Goblin said:

When Jasper beat WOS in district their first season in 4A in 1986 21-8 then WOS beat Jasper 21-15 in the Quarterfinals that same year and went on to win their first State Championship.   That became a rivalry in two games.

I asked this question before as to who is WOS's rival and did say perhaps Jasper but lately Jasper does not want to play WOS for whatever reason. One assistant coach stated WOS really in his opinion does not have a rival like Nederland vs PNG.

1 hour ago, tennisbc said:

I asked this question before as to who is WOS's rival and did say perhaps Jasper but lately Jasper does not want to play WOS for whatever reason. One assistant coach stated WOS really in his opinion does not have a rival like Nederland vs PNG.

Honestly I would say the WO-S game is PN-Gs second biggest rivalry. That is why I hate to not see WO-S on the schedule... People say, well you have to win to make it a rivalry. Well trust me, winning it every 15 years is worth it IMO. Playing the best, and beating them once in a kazillion years is a cool feeling...... 

2 minutes ago, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

Honestly I would say the WO-S game is PN-Gs second biggest rivalry. That is why I hate to not see WO-S on the schedule... People say, well you have to win to make it a rivalry. Well trust me, winning it every 15 years is worth it IMO. Playing the best, and beating them once in a kazillion years is a cool feeling...... 

I would love to see WOS and PNG play ever season, great game and good turnouts from both sides. 

I agree that the stakes involved definitely matter.  The first four games WOS and Jasper played BOTH were ranked in the top 10.

1986 #4 Jasper 21, #3 WOS 8

1986 #7 WOS 21, #6 Jasper 15

1987 #1 WOS 3, #3 Jasper 0

1988 #4 WOS 38, #9 Jasper 15

then when WOS dropped to 3A

first game right off the bat was 2004 #2 Jasper 25, #1 WOS 23

2005 #3 WOS 28, #8 Jasper 22

Can't really get any better than that even if the rivalry has cooled off the last couple years. We still had that epic 3rd Round playoff matchup with WOS winning 18-16 as recently as 2013.