South Jefferson County Football!

Mr. Buddy Garrity

8 minutes ago, SFA85 said:

Well, I am so glad I don't have school age children.  I'd home school my children before sending them to a all-white situation.  I'd rather educate business owners(potentially) than just more self-hating individuals with no knowledge of self.......

No Child Left Behind has some of you thinking Mr. Charlie's waters is more wet than it is in PA and or BMT......

Self-hating? I get where you are trying to say but I think that was a little left field. I do not think you were referring to me or  all those who do transfer so let me say that now. Again, I am very aware of myself and history. I finished from a Black University with honors, and have worked to to give back to my community in New Orleans through my fraternity and as a teacher and counselor among other roles. I just think if a parent thinks their kid can excel academically in a different environment, there is nothing wrong with that. Like I said, respectful disagreement

5 minutes ago, pakronos said:

Forget that. When weak arse excuse come up, I say well that kid need to not play sports and focus on the books since that's why they so say transferred. I have more respect if they say, Kenny ray was messing over my son. Again generalized statement  because kids have come our of memorial that excelled more than rochonbigbro. If your child or that adult think football or sports is the ticket to get an education, then please go to a mid county school. History proves that ish dint work.

I agree that academics should always be the primary focus. Most kids do not make it in sports so education is always the key.

2 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Self-hating? I get where you are trying to say but I think that was a little left field. I do not think you were referring to me or  all those who do transfer so let me say that now. Again, I am very aware of myself and history. I finished from a Black University with honors, and have worked to to give back to my community in New Orleans through my fraternity and as a teacher and counselor among other roles. I just think if a parent thinks their kid can excel academically in a different environment, there is nothing wrong with that. Like I said, respectful disagreement

I agree that academics should always be the primary focus. Most kids do not make it in sports so education is always the key.

Left field is where I am now days.  I submit that you could've done the same thing finishing from PAM.  But point taken.  I'm waiting for that day when something Charlotte/Baton Rouge/Inserttownhere USA ish bops off and people of our ilk will be forced to come back home......

9 minutes ago, SFA85 said:

Left field is where I am now days.  I submit that you could've done the same thing finishing from PAM.  But point taken.  I'm waiting for that day when something Charlotte/Baton Rouge/Inserttownhere USA ish bops off and people of our ilk will be forced to come back home......

I definitely could have done the same things finishing from PAM, but my parents made their decisions with the best intent and I do not have a problem with that. If I had my wish, I would have finished from Lincoln as did every single person in my family on both sides did. I always wanted to be a Bumblebee, but as the story goes it merged 3 years before I got to high-school.

If any black kid is able to be manipulated, convinced or some how made to self hate. That is the parents fault. The brunt of my childs education is based on what I  put into him. The notion that any parent should accept what PAISD has tried to push down people's throats is Utterly ridiculous. If a kid  transfers and ends up getting a scholarship you mean to tell me he couldn't have started at Memorial. So Memorial has more talent than the college the kid is going to. That is laughable.

9 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

If any black kid is able to be manipulated, convinced or some how made to self hate. That is the parents fault. The brunt of my childs education is based on what I  put into him. The notion that any parent should accept what PAISD has tried to push down people's throats is Utterly ridiculous. If a kid  transfers and ends up getting a scholarship you mean to tell me he couldn't have started at Memorial. So Memorial has more talent than the college the kid is going to. That is laughable.

No.  I'm saying don't run.  Stay and fight to keep the standards up.  I'm saying you have more of a voice in PA than where your numbers are low.  But hey, that's just me......

My thoughts on PA ISD....  

My wife worked out there.  If it's academics that's the problem, then I'm calling BS.  There are smart kids in PA that'll push a child to finish too percent there.  The top rung of students there isn't the problem.  The middle and bottom tier is the problem.  But with that problem comes... Parents that usually don't care.  There are so many programs at Memorial that students can take advantage of.  Parents are told about these programs but most aren't involved or just don't give a damn.  I can tell you this.  Memorial can help their kids more than BISD does.  They don't have many programs to help the struggling students.  Parents won't come out and get involved.  And when those bad report cards come in, that's when the parents want to raise all kind of you know what.  I'm just speaking an a academic standpoint.  Now athletics, Memorial Wil push you so many athletically gifted kids walking around PA.  Sometimes, you're child just don't cut the mustard, compared to the other kids.  At that point, your kid will just need to work harder.  Don't transfer because the competition is too great.  Stay in PA, get your lesson, grind hard in practice and in off-season.  The stigma about PA is just so inaccurate, and even people that were born and raised in PA get the wool pulled over their heads.

I'm a firm believer that kids flourish where they're more comfortable. Comfortable with kids they've grown up with.  Not talking about race, because Memorial is more diverse than you think.  Lot of Asians and Mexicans walk the halls there.  

In conclusion, keep the kids home.  Besides real life issues like changing of jobs, divorces, marriages, ect., there's no real reason to be 'running' from PA ISD.  

When PAISD offered me to bus my kids across town, when my kids lived 3 minutes from the elementary  school they had been attending I was mad. When I seen (with my own two eyes) what went on in the middle school classrooms I was done. I LOVE Port Arthur and I wish the district and ALL the children well. BUT I was and am not now willing to trust / deal with or settle for what I  felt was not best for mine. I know what PA and PAISD was, but it's not anymore. #neednewleadership.

29 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

When PAISD offered me to bus my kids across town, when my kids lived 3 minutes from the elementary  school they had been attending I was mad. When I seen (with my own two eyes) what went on in the middle school classrooms I was done. I LOVE Port Arthur and I wish the district and ALL the children well. BUT I was and am not now willing to trust / deal with or settle for what I  felt was not best for mine. I know what PA and PAISD was, but it's not anymore. #neednewleadership.

I agree. I love where I am from. I definitely don't look down on the school district. Every time I come back home I go to my grandparents house on the west side. That drive down Procter kills me. So much potential for business but it is barren save a few clubs and everything is moving towards hwy 365. You pretty much have to drive all the way to H-E-B on Gulfway for groceries if you live on that end, which inconveniences the elderly and the poor. Its a food desert on the West. Somebody said that they wouldnt be surprised if Valero buys the West side land in the coming years. I could see it in the future.

So if I  moved to another city, I should not do what I enjoy or excel at. That's senseless. A kid should not do what he's capable of because he left PA. Well maybe PAISD should try to figure out and then fix;  whatever caused the parents of a low estimate of approximately 500 students (Combined enrollment of Sabine Pass, Bob Hope and Tekoa) no counting Mid County kids to leave the district. 

48 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

48 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

Ignore the quote.  But in response to the previous post, I think it's a cowardly move to stay here and send your kids to that which, truth be told, your kids are just being pimped for their athletic ability.  They payoff supposed to be an Ivy League education since Mr. Charlie's schools are so much better but more often than not, they end up at the same colleges and universities they would have if they had finished from PA.  I find it so ironic, it's mostly Lincoln grads send their kids across the street.......

BTW, PAM's ADM the first year was 2800 and some change so approx. 800 or so kids go else where.  But that doesn't equate to 800 kids at Rice, Yale, Harvard, et. al.......

I have been told by people in the know (admins, teachers, coaches, parents) that many of these transfers are because of the behavioral issues at PAISD. Some just don't feel safe.

Just what I was told.

And before you reply SFA85, the majority of these folks that told me this were of the African-American race.

That doesn't equate to 2000  Memorial grads @ Brown,  Columbia or Princeton either. The point is you do what's best for your's and I'll do what's best for mine. I'm through with this on THIS site, but  we can get together over a brew and talk all things PA: politics, schools  the lack of employment opportunities and sports at some other time in a appropriate setting.  Peace to you Brother.

25 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I have been told by people in the know (admins, teachers, coaches, parents) that many of these transfers are because of the behavioral issues at PAISD. Some just don't feel safe.

Just what I was told.

And before you reply SFA85, the majority of these folks that told me this were of the African-American race.

I know the demographics of those who complained and moved and that's fine.  When a Columbine situation pops off, then I will be here saying "I told you so......."

28 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

That doesn't equate to 2000  Memorial grads @ Brown,  Columbia or Princeton either. The point is you do what's best for your's and I'll do what's best for mine. I'm through with this on THIS site, but  we can get together over a brew and talk all things PA: politics, schools  the lack of employment opportunities and sports at some other time in a appropriate setting.  Peace to you Brother.

Yes, and a drank(water with lime) somewhere will be nice.  Don't mine chopping it up at all

1 hour ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

I agree. I love where I am from. I definitely don't look down on the school district. Every time I come back home I go to my grandparents house on the west side. That drive down Procter kills me. So much potential for business but it is barren save a few clubs and everything is moving towards hwy 365. You pretty much have to drive all the way to H-E-B on Gulfway for groceries if you live on that end, which inconveniences the elderly and the poor. Its a food desert on the West. Somebody said that they wouldnt be surprised if Valero buys the West side land in the coming years. I could see it in the future.

Lamar PA just built Dorms, unfortunately theres no fast food, convenience stores or anything for these kids to do down there. Gulfway to the seawall is dead.