PNG Fans Got a question for ya

pakronos

this is more for the old school fans. i remember back in the late 80 and early 90's when i was in school, png had a  "hype" man on kickoffs. this guy would be doing everything to pump up his team and the crowd!! he would run and throw his hands and jump around and then run to his position. when i saw png this year i noticed that was missing lol

3 hours ago, pakronos said:

ron mcgill was not little imo lol...i was a freshman and remember seniors talking trash on how he wasn't going to run on them HA lol...that dude was a beast!!

yeah he was he played with my cousin,thats back in the days when we could beat nederland and alot of people,i miss them zig zag pants i wish they would bring some of the old school back but there not,there more worried about there turf and won't even let people walk or run on track,we didn't have turf,i miss the old days even though i was young,we had some pretty good and big teams back then,we were always good size in that era.

34 minutes ago, class-99 Indians said:

yeah he was he played with my cousin,thats back in the days when we could beat nederland and alot of people,i miss them zig zag pants i wish they would bring some of the old school back but there not,there more worried about there turf and won't even let people walk or run on track,we didn't have turf,i miss the old days even though i was young,we had some pretty good and big teams back then,we were always good size in that era.

This was before Faircloth came in and made PNG's primary color gray...

hell first play against Nederland in Nederland Ron went 80 yards around the end for a TD running down the sidelines with his finger in the air. Don't even think he was touched by a Nederland player. He was a physical runner was not scared to make or encourage contact. He was complimented by Brian Boast also. That was a fun year!

Any of you remember when Coach Etheridge was there in the 70's?  They were called The University of PNG back then (at least around here).  I use to follow them some.  It was nice to hear Cherokee when you weren't scoring on Vidor.  Ironically, Vidor gave y'all fits back then.  PNG would win, but there were some very close games.  I think Coach Etheridge went to Round Rock (?), but never had the success he had at PNG.

9 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Still complaining about gray....lol 

I am :) Being in this profession for 11 years I have seen AD's at numerous schools come in and dismiss a lot of the traditions of that school. It doesn't enrage me, but it does make me wonder, "why do that?" Being a native of Groves, it just doesn't seem right to have any color than Purple or White be a dominate color. Can you imagine the Indian Spirit with gray and white or gray and purple instead of purple and white? I remember learning how to play the fight song on the recorder in 5th grade. It was the first thing we learned how to play and it was a test grade. That song talks about the purple and white, not the purple and gray. I understand wanting to put your own stamp on a program that immolates who you are, but not at the sake of offending the traditions of a school/program. I have added things to programs that I have worked in hopes to build a program around the five pillars that I believe in, but I have always kept any tradition that belonged to a school. To many the gray may not be a big deal, but to a lot of the community it is. I no longer live in the school district and very rarely get to catch a game. However, I do miss seeing the purple on purple and white on white when I do get to watch one. I don't know coach personally and always hear good things about him. I'm just no fan of the gray even though it does look good in the color scheme department. 

6 hours ago, biaplayer said:

hell first play against Nederland in Nederland Ron went 80 yards around the end for a TD running down the sidelines with his finger in the air. Don't even think he was touched by a Nederland player. He was a physical runner was not scared to make or encourage contact. He was complimented by Brian Boast also. That was a fun year!

Have that on video as well

2 hours ago, JSnipes said:

I am :) Being in this profession for 11 years I have seen AD's at numerous schools come in and dismiss a lot of the traditions of that school. It doesn't enrage me, but it does make me wonder, "why do that?" Being a native of Groves, it just doesn't seem right to have any color than Purple or White be a dominate color. Can you imagine the Indian Spirit with gray and white or gray and purple instead of purple and white? I remember learning how to play the fight song on the recorder in 5th grade. It was the first thing we learned how to play and it was a test grade. That song talks about the purple and white, not the purple and gray. I understand wanting to put your own stamp on a program that immolates who you are, but not at the sake of offending the traditions of a school/program. I have added things to programs that I have worked in hopes to build a program around the five pillars that I believe in, but I have always kept any tradition that belonged to a school. To many the gray may not be a big deal, but to a lot of the community it is. I no longer live in the school district and very rarely get to catch a game. However, I do miss seeing the purple on purple and white on white when I do get to watch one. I don't know coach personally and always hear good things about him. I'm just no fan of the gray even though it does look good in the color scheme department. 

Also raised in Groves and wore the purple, black and gray of PNG baseball in the 90's ;) 

Our hats had a purple crown, black bill, gray I outlined in black.

Home jersey was purple with INDIANS written in gray outlined in black.

Road jersey was gray with INDIANS written in purple outlined in black.

Senior year Stone came in and changed everything to purple and white.

Home basketball uniforms back then were grey jerseys and shorts were gray with big purple and black stripes.

Road basketball were purple jerseys, gray letters, purple shorts with big gray and black stripes.

6 hours ago, REBgp said:

Any of you remember when Coach Etheridge was there in the 70's?  They were called The University of PNG back then (at least around here).  I use to follow them some.  It was nice to hear Cherokee when you weren't scoring on Vidor.  Ironically, Vidor gave y'all fits back then.  PNG would win, but there were some very close games.  I think Coach Etheridge went to Round Rock (?), but never had the success he had at PNG.

he lived right behind my house, his son used to rope with us when I was a kid