Jasper vs. BYE Predictions

Bulldog92

45 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

honest thoughts?  well here goes mine................our schedule f***ing sucks! yeah wos beat us like a step child behind the woodshed(but in case barbay didnt notice they did/ and are going to do 95% percent of teams last year and this year) really how does open week benefit the Dawgs the second week of season. take time and look at just the teams here in our area and see just how many have open this early. u will find a very few.  then in the middle  of district (regardless how weak the exception being tatum) u schedule a charter school from louisiana. yes i respect barbay and really to this point have been pleased with what he has done with the dawgs but the scheduling this year has me perplexed along with pissed.

Although I have made clear that I share your perplexity of who is and, more importantly, who is not on Jasper's schedule this year, I feel compelled to defend the Jasper staff in this specific instance.  As far as teams in the area, I don't think there was one in Week 2 that was available to play.  As you can see from the weekly schedule at the top, Jasper is the only 11 man team with an open date this week.. I do know that Jasper was on a pretty rigorous search for a Week 2 opponent, but they simply couldn't find one. So, as far as the open date this week, while not the best timed in the world, it probably was a bit outside of their control so they should catch a break from any heat.

18 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

wos u are entitled to your opinion without any biased from me at all. at the same time had barbay made such a point to not play teams like wos then that outside of their control(which clearly wasnt outside the head coach / ad control) then i would be willing to bet my house that u would nt be stuck with no choice but have an open and/ or playing a charter or any team for that matter right in the middle of the games that truly count during the season.  my fellow  dawg fan asked what ur thoughts about the open so i gave mine. right wrong or indifferent that how i feel and personally no break from this alum and many year season ticket holder. lol to each his own.

And I have no argument with what you said whatsoever.  As I said at the outset I agreed with you that Jasper's non-district schedule is crap and I go even further in saying that Barbay's refusal to play WO-S (and according to reliable sources Silsbee until being compelled to do so by Jasper ISD administration) is grounded in nothing but pure cowardice.

That being said, I also saw WO-S struggle to get to a full 10 game schedule for the very reason that sometimes, it is kinda hard to find the dance partner that can dance with you on the same date as you need.  That is all I was trying to say.

Both of you make good points. Maybe that week in the middle of district could be a defacto bye week so that some of the younger guys can get some snaps in a game. I don't know if that team is any good, but it would give the starters a chance to rest if they can take control of the game early. 

19 minutes ago, Bulldog92 said:

Both of you make good points. Maybe that week in the middle of district could be a defacto bye week so that some of the younger guys can get some snaps in a game. I don't know if that team is any good, but it would give the starters a chance to rest if they can take control of the game early. 

I will say this about that game.  I know absolutely nothing about the football ability of Slaughter Charter.  I do however, happen to know that they are located just north of Baton Rouge, which puts them in the area devastated by historic floods earlier in the month.  So there remains the possibility that this date COULD become an actual open date.

1 minute ago, WOSgrad said:

I will say this about that game.  I know absolutely nothing about the football ability of Slaughter Charter.  I do however, happen to know that they are located just north of Baton Rouge, which puts them in the area devastated by historic floods earlier in the month.  So there remains the possibility that this date COULD become an actual open date.

I didn't know that. Hopefully they're able to play games between now and then....

27 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes, but you've never beat them, either. :)

I heard BYE's defense is the best around, but they can't score a point to save their life.

Reminds me of the '85 Bulldogs. They went 4-5 and only allowed 82 points the whole season. That was the only losing season of the Walkoviak era...

Edit: We went 5-6 in '93, so GW had two losing seasons in 20 years at Jasper. 

On 8/30/2016 at 1:03 PM, j_dog said:

Some schools might consider those two seasons to be "winning" seasons.

Every dog has its down days.  Back in 63 and 64, Jasper did not celebrate wins, they celebrated TDs, and not very often at that.  In 1963 scored on Orange Stark, David Foster and company, it just made Stark mad.  Really mad.  Final score was 65 or so to 6 for Jasper.  Don't miss those days at all.  Jasper did beat Vidor something like 12-7 that year though.  Only win in two years.  So we need to have respect for those schools that are struggling.  It easily could happen to Jasper again someday.