Favorite Rock Song(s)

Hagar

2 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Danger Zone is by Kenny Loggins (formerly with Jim Messina of Loggins & Messina). Danger Zone was a solo song after the duo broke up. Messina was a producer when Loggins was trying to break into the music business. They became friends and Messina decided to help him write some songs. Loggins first album was supposed to be a solo album, but Messina had contributed so much that they decided to release it as a duo, thus the birth of Loggins and Messina.

Mr. Tambourine Man is by Bob Dylan. The Byrds version is a remake. Though Dylan has denied it, many people think the song is a reference to drugs, particularly LSD.

I knew Dylan wrote it, but his version didn't "jingle jangle" like The Byrds.  I'd heard about the drug reference to.  Not surprising if you listen to the lyrics :) 

Just now, REBgp said:

I knew Dylan wrote it, but his version didn't "jingle jangle" like The Byrds.  I'd heard about the drug reference to.  Not surprising if you listen to the lyrics :) 

Yeah, the Byrds version is a better listening version. I always try to give more credence to the originator though. I usually get upset when I find out a song I love is a remake, especially when the remake is almost identical to the original. The Byrds did a good version, but if I want to listen to this song, I will usually play Dylan's original version.

I love your "jingle jangle" line. Nice reference.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, LumRaiderFan said:

Fat bottomed girls...we used to crank that one on the radio, as we would all Queen songs.

Freddie Mercury, strange dude...one in a million talent.

When my daughter was around 12,13,14 years old, she had a friend spend the night. This friend was a heavy-set gal. We went to pick the friend up, and on the way back home Fat Bottom Girls came on the stereo. After we got home, it all of a sudden hit me. I started thinking "I hope this girl doesn't think I was playing this song in reference to her weight". So I decided the best thing to do was to kind of informally explain the song to let her know it wasn't in reference to her. So I started to explain. And as I just got started, it hit me again...How do you explain to a 13 year old a song that is talking about a man that loves to sleep with fat women because his overweight nanny molested him as a child. I immediately dropped the subject and prayed that she wouldn't run home to her parents saying I was playing fat songs about her. I never heard anything else about it, but the girl never came over to spend the night again. At that age, friendships come and go quickly, so I'm gonna chalk it up to that.

13 hours ago, Englebert said:

Yeah, the Byrds version is a better listening version. I always try to give more credence to the originator though. I usually get upset when I find out a song I love is a remake, especially when the remake is almost identical to the original. The Byrds did a good version, but if I want to listen to this song, I will usually play Dylan's original version.

I love your "jingle jangle" line. Nice reference.

Lots of people would totally be surprised if they knew the songs Bob Dylan wrote. The biggest surprise for me was "All Along The Watchtower" which of course Jimi Hendrix did his thing with. Musicians couldn't wait for Dylan to release something new so they could get ideas of their own by listening or cover his songs.