Got pulled over one night

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan

A short time ago. On I-10. In a rural area. Driving a beat up car. At midnight.

Eased over to the side of the road, Turned dome light on before car even fully stopped. Rolled drivers window down. Placed left arm on the top edge of the door and rested left hand on outside door panel. Rested right arm on top of steering wheel, with wrist and open hand just in front of the top of wheel, loosely hanging.

Officer thanked me for making him feel at ease.

Just sayin'.

6 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Eased over to the side of the road, Turned dome light on before car even fully stopped. Rolled drivers window down. Placed left arm on the top edge of the door and rested left hand on outside door panel. Rested right arm on top of steering wheel, with wrist and open hand just in front of the top of wheel, loosely hanging.

Just sayin'.

You got pulled over?  Are you Caucasian?  According to some, that never happens.

21 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Just sayin'.

Great job.  Been pulled over a few times at night.  Always turn on dome light.  Can't imagine how nervous an officer must be approaching a dark car at night.

31 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Great job.  Been pulled over a few times at night.  Always turn on dome light.  Can't imagine how nervous an officer must be approaching a dark car at night.

About as nervous as you might feel if you felt you might be dead in a few seconds. I never approach anyone without the feeling that this might be "the" encounter. 

I have been in that encounter a few times and have been treated at the hospital for on duty injuries caused by suspects on at least three occasions that I can remember. Five times I have been involved in shooting incidents either by being fired upon from close range, me firing at a person or having a partner shoot and kill a guy about 10 feet in front of me. 

Rather than getting used to it, it makes you more wary the older you get. 

I've gotten pulled over several times. I blank out and can never find my DL or insurance. Very embarrassing to have the officer waiting by the window while I have to dump the contents of my purse. I usually panic and have to hold back the tears..lol 

I'm sure everyone knows the most infamous police officer in PTA. He actually gave my kids coffee mugs, because they were chit chatting with him and being very informative. .lol I still got a ticket.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Good advice, one exception.  Wait to get your paperwork out AFTER he asks for it. Then tell him where it is and ask for permission to get it. Digging for your insurance card before he walks up looks exactly like looking for your pistol. 

I prefer to have it out when he gets to the window with my lights on and hands exposed.  When he's walking up, he can clearly see my hands, and I don't have to go rummaging around in my car after I inform him that I'm carrying.  When you turn the light on immediately, it's a pretty good indicator that you're cooperative and want to put the officer's mind at ease.