EVADALE - LAPOYNER

Hagar

Regional Semifinals game between the LaPoyner Lady Flyers and the Evadale Lady Rebels.  

For those of you who may not be familiar with LaPoyner, they're a perennial powerhouse in Girls Basketball in 2A.  They've defeated the #4 team in 2A, Martins Mill, and the #2 team in 1A, Lipan.   

Your thoughts. 

4 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

I hope Evadale can get the win!  Heard they are a stout team!

I've done some comparisons between the two teams via Schedules/Results.  I'm reminded of what my SIL says, it's about matchups.  The victories by LaPoyner I mentioned in my initial post indicates Rebs are overmatched.  Then I see they beat Slocum by 6, who only beat Joaquin by 11, who we just beat by 40+, and it looks like we can beat them.  Admittedly, not a great comparison, but indicates Rebs have a good shot.  I do think it'll take absolute best effort by Evadale to win.  Looking forward to a great game between two state ranked teams.  

I've seen both of these teams play, and I've also seen Martin's Mill. They are a fundamentally sound team, but I also think their state ranking may be based on their "power house" status. They have a PG that's pretty good, and a decent post player. Should be a good game I'll give Evadale the advantage.

2 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Nothing against Evadale at all, but have to go with LaPoyner here. Being able to beat Lipan and shut down Roberts says a whole lot. Combine that with a 2 point loss to Navasota makes it hard to pick against them.

I heard Lipan only brought three girls thinking it was going to be easy :) 

4 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I heard Lipan only brought three girls thinking it was going to be easy :) 

Maybe they have only won their two playoff games by a combined 174-70. I understand Lipan is not an area school and most don't know about them, but any team in 2A or 1A that can beat them are legit. That is why they have been to state 4 out of the past 5 years losing to the state champ all 4 times. Also for the comment on Roberts the night before they played she scored 57 and is probably averaging around 40 points a game this season. They take basketball so seriously there that their coach had her baby after the regional semifinal on Friday and was back coaching the next afternoon.

Like I said earlier it was not mean to disrespect Evadale at all, but I cannot pick against a team that has that win and only two losses. Navasota beat them by two. Navasota is undefeated in 4A and made it to the regional semifinals (yes I am saying they will lose to LaVega tomorrow).

34 minutes ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Maybe they have only won their two playoff games by a combined 174-70. I understand Lipan is not an area school and most don't know about them, but any team in 2A or 1A that can beat them are legit. That is why they have been to state 4 out of the past 5 years losing to the state champ all 4 times. Also for the comment on Roberts the night before they played she scored 57 and is probably averaging around 40 points a game this season. They take basketball so seriously there that their coach had her baby after the regional semifinal on Friday and was back coaching the next afternoon.

Like I said earlier it was not mean to disrespect Evadale at all, but I cannot pick against a team that has that win and only two losses. Navasota beat them by two. Navasota is undefeated in 4A and made it to the regional semifinals (yes I am saying they will lose to LaVega tomorrow).

I'm well aware of Lipan thinks to your & I  discussions after we played Chireno.  Again, I have little knowledge of basketball so explain what's up with this.  Looked at box score of Nav vs LaP.  First Qtr 11-11, then second it was 0-1.  I've never seen a Qtr with only 1 point scored.  Was LaPoyner in a stall?  Maybe both?  Final was 30-28.  Probably low score for both teams by a large margin.  

Don't wait for RR30.  Anyone that can explain it.  I can almost understand stalling for a whole Qtr against a lesser quality team, but as good as both these teams are, you'd think someone could steal & layup once or twice.  Or even a mishandled ball?  One point for a whole Qtr?  I'll never understand this game. 

Teams stall for many different reasons. I have seen it done because of mismatches that the coach wants to fix at half. Stalling because of leads as you mentioned. Another possible reason is maybe their team was in foul trouble and didn't want to risk it getting worse before the 2nd half. There are many reasons. Some teams play slower than others and are methodical in nature. Thing Georgetown in the 1980s. Not every team good team is going to play LMU style. Each region in Texas plays a different style and when two regions meet one style is usually be more prevalent. That could have been the case. I was not at the LaPoyner Navasota game so I do not have a definitive answer or even know which team stalled. Whichever team did slow or stall obviously did not hurt their teams chance as it ended close. Just because in one game out of 30+ this season there was a 1-0 quarter score line for LaPoyner means nothing. It was one quarter. Tomorrow there coach could decide it is beneficial to run and score as much as possible. He or she might also decide it is best for his or her team to play slow. That is the essence of the playoffs adapting to what best helps your team win. 

Ok, this is not directed at any team, or game, just a basketball question  

Time out.  My bad.  I'm not getting my inquiry right.  I understand using strategy, like a stall.  What I've never seen, & thus can't visualize, is how any team (good or bad) on offense, can stall for a whole Quarter without the other "good" team on defense, not being able to either steal the ball or force a turnover?  The only scenario I can come up with is the offense wants to stall and the defense doesn't care (all defensive players back in a tight zone leaving two offensive players out at half court 10' apart just playing catch).  Imo that scenario would essentially make both teams stalling, the offense & defense, which is to twisted for colored TV.  

I've seen discussions on the Forum about whether a shot clock should be used in HS basketball.  Since my knowledge was so limited, I've never joined in.  Now that I've seen a 1-0 Qtr, I'm all in on a shot clock. 

My last question, when the one point was scored in that Qtr, was anyone awake to see it lol

33 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

Really wish we could make the regional tourney, but we'll be traveling with the boys to their basketball and baseball games.  So proud of these lady Rebels, and we'll be anxiously watching all the updates and cheering them on from afar.  Have fun, and enjoy this experience.

Thanks C86 games at 5.  I'm so excited and happy for these girls.  You and I know what they can do when clicking on all cylinders.  I hope they are today, then if we get beat, Cest la vie.  If Leon HS isn't in a dead zone, you know me and Rebel Fan will be posting.  I admit I was concerned about Joaquin, but the way our girls played, even not hitting three's like they normally do, makes me think they're back in competition mood.  Our defense really was awesome.  And IMO LaPoyner is capable of winning State, so if we do win, we'd have a real possibility.  

Excited?  Wow, I'll end this here before I write a book.  Go Lady Rebels.  You need to make a statement today!  I think most everyone in the area is pulling for you.  

1 hour ago, Scatright said:

I once dated a girl from Poynor who, at the time, was a cheerleader at LaPoynor High. I went to a few basketball games there, and it was crazy. They definitely take that stuff seriously up there.

Best as I can tell at LaPoynor, The Eleventh Commandment is Thou shall play Basketball.

Thanks for correcting my spelling. I was using an E instead of an O.  Heaven knows I don't need to give them ammo.  They locked & loaded already :) 

2 hours ago, Scatright said:

I once dated a girl from Poynor who, at the time, was a cheerleader at LaPoynor High. I went to a few basketball games there, and it was crazy. They definitely take that stuff seriously up there.

Just to clarify, I was in high school at the time. It got weird when I re read it as a grown man talking about dating a HS cheerleader! haha

1 hour ago, Scatright said:

Just to clarify, I was in high school at the time. It got weird when I re read it as a grown man talking about dating a HS cheerleader! haha

Luckily, I am in the know or it might have came off as a bit odd.....For the record, I have never heard of that town before in my life.

Where about is Poynor?