Sanctuary Cities Map...

smitty

I question some of the validity of that map or their criteria. While I think San Francisco, CA has publicly stated something to the effect that they will not contact ICE, even that is somewhat up for argument. It shows Travis County in TX as sanctuary due to "not honoring ICE detainer without accompanying criminal charge". What I find strange about that is that under the current administration, we can't beg a detainer from ICE. We do have criminal charges and they will not get involved. 

If ICE will not pick up a prisoner from the state that is charged with a crime, under what kind of detainer are they asking Travis County to hold them on "without a criminal charge"?

Also I saw several websites that listed Port Arthur as a sanctuary city. Why? Someone reported it. Like.... "I think that PA doesn't enforce immigration laws" or something to that effect. I saw one that listed League City over by Galveston as a sanctuary. The verification? A person (the site says unnamed for safety) said that those people are gathering to protest and the police are not arresting them. Hmmmm..... 

I am not saying that sanctuary cities do not exist and I am sure that many local/county politicians do not want to enforce existing laws as it might cost votes but as an official policy, I would need more than reading it on an internet site.

Bonjour!

Here is one that lists PA (from a "reader/resident" observation).

This is the hidden content, please

Here is one that I looked at that lists League CIty (and also Port Arthur). This is the one that I was talking about. There are some great quotes from the anonymous source that shows LC is a sanctuary. Here are a couple of them...

"Mayor Randall & Chief Jez believe that these law breakers have the constitutional right to a Peaceful Assemble regardless of their, "Status.” Wow, simply horrible. They have constitutional rights.

And another..."..this has become out of hand. GOD Bless America". 

It looks like some racist guy doesn't like people protesting in "his" city. Maybe he also doesn't understand the law that even if the protesters were illegal aliens, the local police cannot arrest them for that. Yet that anonymous "tip" now shows League City, TX on some sites as a sanctuary city because the police did not arrest protesters. 

I don't like the current administrations policy for dealing with illegals. I put little faith in websites that makes claims of where they can walk around free without fear of being deported. That is likely true but not because of any city but because the current occupant of the White House has declared the entire country a sanctuary. 

What I find most fascinating about these Sanctuary Cities, this is the second time that Local or State Govts have thumbed their nose at the Federal Govt Laws.  The other is Legalizing Marijuana.   

Now, I'm a proponent of States Rights, but in all my many years I can never remember Local or State Govts doing this with impunity.  May have happened, but someone will have to remind me (please do).

FASCINATING!!!!!!!!

What I find most fascinating about these Sanctuary Cities, this is the second time that Local or State Govts have thumbed their nose at the Federal Govt Laws.  The other is Legalizing Marijuana.   

Now, I'm a proponent of States Rights, but in all my many years I can never remember Local or State Govts doing this with impunity.  May have happened, but someone will have to remind me (please do).

FASCINATING!!!!!!!!

​I'm a state's right proponent as well but protecting our borders is a federal enumerated power and the states have no right to impede the fed gov from enforcing immigration laws...now marijuana...let the states decide for themselves, along with about a thousand other things the fed gov chooses to meddle in.

I know, I know...good luck with that one.

There are some serious contradictions inherent in this whole "sanctuary city" concept.

First off, isn't this a watered down form of nullification? Nullification was a somewhat popular theory in the nineteenth century that the states, being the sovereign entities that formed the union, retained the right to nullify federal laws and federal court rulings within their boundaries if the states viewed those laws as unconstitutional. Although the nullification theory actually began in the North, it became central to the slavery issue and a trademark defense for Southern states against anti-slavery laws leading up to the Civil War and against Civil Rights legislation during the 1950s and '60s. Every legal analyst with any sense thinks the theory is asinine, but we still hear it brought up in the occasional debate (normally somewhere on the internet) and liberals love to compare state actions taken against environmental regulations, labor laws and, now, gay marriage rulings in red states to nullification attempts way back in the day. But this, in a sense, is even worse than nullification - as insane as it may be when a conservative occasionally makes a nullification argument, at least they do so based on a belief, however ill-conceived, that the law in question is unconstitutional, whereas there's no constitutional basis whatsoever for a state or local government to declare an immigration law constitutional. Funny how, when the shoe's on the other foot, these kinds of comparisons don't get made and the people who make them most just tend to look the other way.

The second issue I take with this is a broader issue I take with the immigration debate generally. Look at that map and tell me where most of the sanctuary cities are. Newsflash: at least 70% of them are in states that are nowhere near the border. Of the four border states, the only one with a significant number of sanctuaries is California. Judging by eye, I count three states - Iowa, Washington and Oregon - that have created way more sanctuaries than the ultra-liberal Golden State. Two of the four border states only have one sanctuary at all, one of those being the nation's second most populous state. What does that tell us? It tells us that most of the people who are all for opening up the border don't actually have to live with the consequences. It's not like that many corn farmers in Iowa have actually come across an illegal immigrant in their lifetime, and the few who have met one probably didn't exactly meet a cartel member. It's not like Oregon experiences anything even remotely approaching the level of violence, human trafficking and drug smuggling that we see on a normal day in Houston due to our porous border security. I'm actually a centrist on immigration issues who's for limited forms of amnesty, but having attended a university in a state nowhere near the border that's filled with out-of-state students from up North who've never stepped foot in a border state, there's nothing that drives me up a wall faster than idiots trying to make a statement as though they know the full implications of policies surrounding the integrity of a border they've never even been within 500 miles of.

Here is one that lists PA (from a "reader/resident" observation).

This is the hidden content, please

Here is one that I looked at that lists League CIty (and also Port Arthur). This is the one that I was talking about. There are some great quotes from the anonymous source that shows LC is a sanctuary. Here are a couple of them...

"Mayor Randall & Chief Jez believe that these law breakers have the constitutional right to a Peaceful Assemble regardless of their, "Status.” Wow, simply horrible. They have constitutional rights.

And another..."..this has become out of hand. GOD Bless America". 

It looks like some racist guy doesn't like people protesting in "his" city. Maybe he also doesn't understand the law that even if the protesters were illegal aliens, the local police cannot arrest them for that. Yet that anonymous "tip" now shows League City, TX on some sites as a sanctuary city because the police did not arrest protesters. 

I don't like the current administrations policy for dealing with illegals. I put little faith in websites that makes claims of where they can walk around free without fear of being deported. That is likely true but not because of any city but because the current occupant of the White House has declared the entire country a sanctuary. 

​smitty just old with his flask like skipper.