Travel/AAU Teams

RunninRebels

I guess the question is, who did Williams come to watch???

No. That's not the question at all. Actually there isn't a 'question' at all a comment was made that no big time coach (es) EVER come to the area to watch a regular season HS game. AAU is the only time it happens. I proved otherwise.
If it weren't for AAU, a lot more coaches would have to watch more 'real basketball' by attending HS games. I do believe AAU serves a purpose, but not as big of a purpose as some believe.
I wonder how many scholly's have been offered to kids in our area over the past 15 years compared to the 15 years prior. I'm guessing it's about the same, but would be curious to know any differences.

No. That's not the question at all. Actually there isn't a 'question' at all a comment was made that no big time coach (es) EVER come to the area to watch a regular season HS game. AAU is the only time it happens. I proved otherwise.
If it weren't for AAU, a lot more coaches would have to watch more 'real basketball' by attending HS games. I do believe AAU serves a purpose, but not as big of a purpose as some believe.
I wonder how many scholly's have been offered to kids in our area over the past 15 years compared to the 15 years prior. I'm guessing it's about the same, but would be curious to know any differences.

No it was actually a question. Because I didn't know the answer.

Anybody hear if any of our local 16's or 17's getting offers or interest from this past weekend?

I know for a fact Camren Hare (2017) had a specific College there that came to every one of our games and took pictures of the score sheet after each game. They are interested in him. And I'm sure they were very impressed with Tre Grubbs and a couple more players from this area.

The point that many people miss with AAU is the opportunities some of these kids are given. It is still up to them what they make of them. To use an example, Kam McGusty plays with our 17u circuit team (same team as TJ). These kids are coached well and have one of the better floor generals in the country in JJ Caldwelll. Kam plays for Seven Lakes in Katy. He was MVP of his district. Pretty impressive at the 6A level. But after an Under Armour tournament this month in New Orleans, he picked up offers the following week from UT, OU, Kansas State, Auburn, and USC. After one tournament, not after an MVP high school season. Why? Because that is when those coaches saw him with their own eyes. After an undefeated weekend in Louisville, there will be many more offers coming. He and Josh Jackson from Detroit have battled back and forth to lead the circuit in scoring. And this is true for several of the kids on that team (including TJ). JJ leads the circuit in assists by a mile.

I guess if it's necessary to dance with the "devil" to get those results, at least these kids will have the opportunity to get a free education out of it...

The point that many people miss with AAU is the opportunities some of these kids are given. It is still up to them what they make of them. To use an example, Kam McGusty plays with our 17u circuit team (same team as TJ). These kids are coached well and have one of the better floor generals in the country in JJ Caldwelll. Kam plays for Seven Lakes in Katy. He was MVP of his district. Pretty impressive at the 6A level. But after an Under Armour tournament this month in New Orleans, he picked up offers the following week from UT, OU, Kansas State, Auburn, and USC. After one tournament, not after an MVP high school season. Why? Because that is when those coaches saw him with their own eyes. After an undefeated weekend in Louisville, there will be many more offers coming. He and Josh Jackson from Detroit have battled back and forth to lead the circuit in scoring. And this is true for several of the kids on that team (including TJ). JJ leads the circuit in assists by a mile.

I guess if it's necessary to dance with the "devil" to get those results, at least these kids will have the opportunity to get a free education out of it...

Not to mention, they come back to school in August battle tested and in shape. Can't really get that same level of competition at the park. Plus it helps keep them out of trouble.

Not to mention, they come back to school in August battle tested and in shape. Can't really get that same level of competition at the park. Plus it helps keep them out of trouble.

Yea but then get out of shape playing high school ball lol ...plus some coaches in SETX don't come watch their players so they don't know what the kid can do they just put them in a system instead of being open minded thinking what can they do to get the most out of their players ...that's why I think Sam Houston flourished their coach got out and watched his players and saw he needed to make a change somewhat not in his beliefs as far as discipline and all that but system wise. Now they are projected to win Region 3 in 6a next year after coming within a game this year. That willingness makes players go out and lay it on the line for you knowing you were willing to do that

Yea but then get out of shape playing high school ball lol ...plus some coaches in SETX don't come watch their players so they don't know what the kid can do they just put them in a system instead of being open minded thinking what can they do to get the most out of their players ...that's why I think Sam Houston flourished their coach got out and watched his players and saw he needed to make a change somewhat not in his beliefs as far as discipline and all that but system wiseNow they are projected to win Region 3 in 6a next year after coming within a game this year.

Too true. It always amazes me how a week after HS ball ends, how many are not in shape to play basketball at this level. I guess playing "real basketball" (as discussed above) doesn't require the same level of conditioning ;)

Yea but then get out of shape playing high school ball lol ...plus some coaches in SETX don't come watch their players so they don't know what the kid can do they just put them in a system instead of being open minded thinking what can they do to get the most out of their players ...that's why I think Sam Houston flourished their coach got out and watched his players and saw he needed to make a change somewhat not in his beliefs as far as discipline and all that but system wise. Now they are projected to win Region 3 in 6a next year after coming within a game this year. That willingness makes players go out and lay it on the line for you knowing you were willing to do that

Excellent points!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey you AAU/Summerball guys out there, whats happening out there with the local teams and players? I'm out the loop now and feeling a little antsy ( addicted) about now. 

​Kam McGusty leading the UAA circuit in scoring and picking up offers in bunches.  Indiana was the latest as of yesterday.  JJ Caldwell committed to A&M a couple of weeks ago and leads the circuit in assists by almost double the next player (believe he's around 8 a game).  A&M is a GREAT fit for him IMO.  Don't be surprised if McGusty and DeAaron Fox both end up playing for Shaka at UT.

TJ Atwood having a good summer and has gotten offers from Tulane and Loyola Maryland in the last month or so.  Look for U of H to offer soon as well for him.

​Kam McGusty leading the UAA circuit in scoring and picking up offers in bunches.  Indiana was the latest as of yesterday.  JJ Caldwell committed to A&M a couple of weeks ago and leads the circuit in assists by almost double the next player (believe he's around 8 a game).  A&M is a GREAT fit for him IMO.  Don't be surprised if McGusty and DeAaron Fox both end up playing for Shaka at UT.

TJ Atwood having a good summer and has gotten offers from Tulane and Loyola Maryland in the last month or so.  Look for U of H to offer soon as well for him.

​Whew!! I needed that!!! That monkey on my back worse than I thought. Hicks' site had some issues and I just gave up trying to get back on.

​Whew!! I needed that!!! That monkey on my back worse than I thought. Hicks' site had some issues and I just gave up trying to get back on.

​By the way, Defenders played Thon Maker (Canada Elite) and DeAndre Ayton (Supreme Court) at the circuit event in NYC last weekend.  Neither disappointed.  As good as maker is, Ayton was even more impressive (#1 in Class of 2017).  Kid is an animal. 

​By the way, Defenders played Thon Maker (Canada Elite) and DeAndre Ayton (Supreme Court) at the circuit event in NYC last weekend.  Neither disappointed.  As good as maker is, Ayton was even more impressive (#1 in Class of 2017).  Kid is an animal. 

​i have serious concerns about Maker, has nothing to do with on the court. 

​i have serious concerns about Maker, has nothing to do with on the court. 

​He might end up with your Wildcats, although I am hearing ASU is gaining a lot of traction.  Hurley is making a lot of splash early in his tenure there.  Not sure about his off the court stuff.  Haven't heard much.

​He might end up with your Wildcats, although I am hearing ASU is gaining a lot of traction.  Hurley is making a lot of splash early in his tenure there.  Not sure about his off the court stuff.  Haven't heard much.

​he seems to be playing "the system" well. From his "camp" he seems to not know if he wants to re-classify or go pro or whatever. I know one thing: Cal has told him to call him when and if he wants to be recruited. I wouldn't lose sleep if he chooses to go another direction other than UK. ;)

​he seems to be playing "the system" well. From his "camp" he seems to not know if he wants to re-classify or go pro or whatever. I know one thing: Cal has told him to call him when and if he wants to be recruited. I wouldn't lose sleep if he chooses to go another direction other than UK. ;)

​He's in a position to play those type of games from a basketball point of view. Wodering if he can make up the work by summer to reclassify? Oh yeah, he could go home school .