Everyone Here Is An Atheist With Respect To 99% Of All Religions/Gods

EnlightenedMessiah

I happen to work in a place that I see a lot of different professions on a daily bases. Today, a pastor walked in and I brought up our topics on religion.

What stood out the most in our entire 45 minute conversation was something he said when I ask if Gay people would go to Hell or "Little Johnny", our Buddhist friend from the other thread would go to hell......His response was, "I don't know, I don't judge. It is not in my job description to judge. It is way above my pay grade, I will let the Man upstairs make those decisions. My job is to love my fellow man and let everyone know the word of God."

Which brought up Luke 6:37:

Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. 38"Give, and it will be given to you.

So, why are some of you condemning Little Johnny? Why are you judging Gays?

Is that not above your pay grade?

I think those are valid questions and worth a discussion......

I agree with everything the pastor said. However, as a Christian if I am pressed to explain my understand of what I have read in the bible I would have to say there is only one way to the Father and that's through Jesus Christ. Had you pressed the pastor for his understand he would probably have answered the same way.

Kudos Hippy for engaging in a meaningful discussion, especially in the work place.

I happen to work in a place that I see a lot of different professions on a daily bases. Today, a pastor walked in and I brought up our topics on religion.

What stood out the most in our entire 45 minute conversation was something he said when I ask if Gay people would go to Hell or "Little Johnny", our Buddhist friend from the other thread would go to hell......His response was, "I don't know, I don't judge. It is not in my job description to judge. It is way above my pay grade, I will let the Man upstairs make those decisions. My job is to love my fellow man and let everyone know the word of God."

Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. 38"Give, and it will be given to you.

The pastor is right...judging anyone on where they will spend eternity is definitely above anyone's pay grade down here.

We are, however, called to use some discernment and know them by their fruits...we can all recognize and call out sinful behavior.

It's not judging to recognize a chronic wife beater and condemn the sinful behavior, but we cannot and should not condemn the person, that is God's job, and his only.

God loves the sinner and hates the sin...thank goodness, because we are all sinners.

Jesus said I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6

I would disagree with the pastor in the this way. God has let it be known how He judges and by what standard He judges. He has also let it be known that we do not meet those requirements. Knowing that we can not meet His standards on our best day God made a "WAY" not many paths but one path. God did not have to make any paths because God does not need any of us. So praise God that He made one way and made it accessible to all who would believe (John 3:16).  God also let us know that He can be trusted because He can not lie, thus God is "TRUTH". With all that being the question about little jonny or homosexuals is not above a pastors pay grade to say the least.

And since God has judged something wrong then it is not being judgmental to say something is wrong.

As far as the verse you are using here it is in its full context. It is hypocritical judgment that Jesus is talking about by the way. 

Do Not Judge

37 â€œJudge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

39 And He spoke a parable to them: â€œCan the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. 41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? 42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.