HJ 76 Silsbee 62 Final/Tuesday

Guest tigersvoice

Congratulations Hawks!!  I was hoping that you couldn't do it - but you did.  Keep that edge and swagger going and represent our district well.

Best HS atmosphere I think that I have ever seen.  I have been to several HJ/KOuntze games and nothing compared to tonight!!!  Place was almost packed by the start of the JV game.  Donahoe got his nose broken in the first 2 minutes of the game.  HE still had a great night.  NOt sure of his numbers, but they were around 20 I would say.  I heard from someone in the stands say that a certain SLC coach (NOT LU) said that he is better than anyone we have on the floor right now.  Lamar if you really want this kid you better get him before another SLC team does!!!!

SOUR LAKE - The Hardin-Jefferson boys basketball team didn't leave much to the imagination Tuesday night.

Hardin-Jefferson got the lead early in the first quarter and never gave it up.

By the end of the game, the Hawks had a 14-point lead.

Class 3A's No. 4-ranked Hardin-Jefferson defeated No. 14 Silsbee 76-62 in their second District 21-3A meeting of the season.

Silsbee beat the Hawks 77-58 in the first meeting at the Tigers' gym.

"We did a good job tonight," said Hardin-Jefferson coach Todd Sutherland. "We did a better job being patient offensively this time around. We were very physical defensively, and that helped a lot in the game."

With the win, Hardin-Jefferson (27-4) is in sole possession of first place in the district at 9-1, while Silsbee falls to second place at 8-2. Jasper beat West Orange-Stark 69-59 to take outright third place in the district at 7-3. WO-S falls to fourth place at 6-4.

Before Tuesday's game, Hardin-Jefferson and Silsbee were tied for first place, while WO-S and Jasper were tied for third place.

"We've just got to keep winning," Sutherland said. "We can't think it's over because it's not. We've got a huge game against Jasper on Friday. If we slip up and lose the game, we will be tied with Silsbee again."

It took Silsbee more than three minutes to score in the third quarter. The Tigers had a turnover and missed four consecutive shots before William Harper made a free throw.

The Tigers, which trailed by nine points at the time, didn't score again for another minute of the game. By then, the Hawks had established a 50-30 lead in the period.

Led by Trey Burrell's nine points, the Hawks outscored Silsbee 23-14 in the third to end the quarter with a 57-38 lead.

The Tigers (19-7) had three turnovers and missed nine shot attempts in the third quarter. The Tigers had a total of 13 turnovers and missed 38 field goal attempts in the game.

"We were a lot more aggressive this time around," Sutherland said. "We stayed with them and forced them to make some tough shots."

Silsbee's Terrence Lewis scored all of his 12 points in the fourth quarter to lead the Tigers on a 24-19 run. But it wasn't enough to overcome a deficit that reached as many as 22 points in the fourth.

The Hawks' pressure defense began to knock Silsbee off rhythm early in the second quarter.

Silsbee, which trailed by seven points at the end of the first quarter, had two turnovers and missed four consecutive shots in a two-minute span that allowed the Hawks to take a 10-point lead at halftime.

Ryan Donahoe led the Hawks with 22 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Trey Burrell had 20 points.

Silsbee's Matt Walters had 15 points. Lewis and Terrence Jones had 12 points each.

"This was a big win for us tonight," Sutherland said. "We came out ready to play and we got the job done. It's not over by a long shot, so we have to continue to be ready to play."

HJ played extrememly well.  Turned the physical Tiger Defense against them.  Can't win without making free throws and DEFINITELY can't win when you have a true gamer like Donohue.  Amazing player, especially after getting his nose jammed like that. 

I Love the Tigers and they will be there waiting in the wind, but I give mad props to the Donohue kid for his attitude and composure during this physical game.

See you in the playoffs.

Tigers Rule!!

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THIS. YEA IT WAS A GOOD GAME. BUT YA'LL CAN STILL BE BEAT. DON'T FORGET THEY DID BEAT YA'LL ALREADY. AND THE ATMOSPHERE WAS CRAZY. I CAN SAY HJ HAD SUM REFS DAT WERE FAVORIN THEM DA WHOLE GAME. BUT ITS OKAY THOUGH. SILSBEE IS GOIN TO BE ALRIGHT. AND DONT GET TO COCKY NOW HJ. YOU DO HAVE TO GO TO JASPER N YOU SEE THEY UPSET WOS HOPE IT DOESNTHAPPEN TO YOU GUYS.

Why don't you check the scorers book and see that the same amount of fouls were called on both teams.  It was an ugly game both ways and the refs really let the kids play too much.  The foul on Donahoe in the 1st quarter when he broke his nose was pathetic.  I heard they reviewed the tape and it was obviously intentional.  Silsbee is the most athletic team that I have seen in a long time!!!! 

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THIS. YEA IT WAS A GOOD GAME. BUT YA'LL CAN STILL BE BEAT. DON'T FORGET THEY DID BEAT YA'LL ALREADY. AND THE ATMOSPHERE WAS CRAZY. I CAN SAY HJ HAD SUM REFS DAT WERE FAVORIN THEM DA WHOLE GAME. BUT ITS OKAY THOUGH. SILSBEE IS GOIN TO BE ALRIGHT. AND DONT GET TO COCKY NOW HJ. YOU DO HAVE TO GO TO JASPER N YOU SEE THEY UPSET WOS HOPE IT DOESNTHAPPEN TO YOU GUYS.

You are starting to sound like the Vidor folks---griping about the refs---you got beat--thats all!

How about we cut the capslock off, the lingo, and just accept the loss.  It obviously was a good game but HJ just played better last night.  Silsbee is in the playoffs and should finish better than their predistrict prediction.  Don't make the Tigers look bad by being a bad sport and placing the blame on others.

How about we cut the capslock off, the lingo, and just accept the loss.  It obviously was a good game but HJ just played better last night.  Silsbee is in the playoffs and should finish better than their predistrict prediction.  Don't make the Tigers look bad by being a bad sport and placing the blame on others.

congrats tiger90 thats a great way to put it.. Now tiger25 on the other hand why dont you just take the loss and stop crying.. we beat yall its going to be ok

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83