Are Divorce Laws Biased Against Men?

The laws in  Texas are not really biased.   The application may be at times, but the truth is, in most cases with small children, the kids are better off with mama.       Nothing in the law says a guy can't get alimony, but normally, the guy earns more.  

I made sure we had split custody. I get my Son a week, and she gets him the next. It works out perfect. The kid is happy and I get to spend a lot of time with him. I pick him up from school on her weeks, so I see him everyday. I don't know that I could stand "standard visitation".

I've known some cases where the kid would have been better off with the dad, but what do I know? I think the laws are designed to protect the woman from being used and abused and being stuck with a kid with no visible means of support. I understand that, but some women abuse the system (golddiggers) and the man suffers......why?

I've known some cases where the kid would have been better off with the dad, but what do I know? I think the laws are designed to protect the woman from being used and abused and being stuck with a kid with no visible means of support. I understand that, but some women abuse the system (golddiggers) and the man suffers......why?

Child support needs to be accounted for.  A man gives ex 20% of income and they can spend 25% of that on kid and the other 75% on a BMW or whatever......

Child support needs to be accounted for. A man gives ex 20% of income and they can spend 25% of that on kid and the other 75% on a BMW or whatever......

Had a man ask me what I would do if my son called me and said he needed a jacket for winter. Obviously the mom (his ex) spent the child support on who knows what. He was furious and thought he shouldn't have to pay it. I simply told him that I never had to deal with divorce, but that if my son EVER called me and said he was cold and needed a jacket, if I had to pawn something, he would have a jacket, but that's just me. Thank God my wife is stuck with me. I couldn't deal with that stuff very well.

Staying on topic, I think the courts do favor the woman with good intentions, but nothing is perfect and good people suffer. Probably what I have already said.

But..but... What about my feeeeeeelings

LOL....I'm not a feelings guy.  If a women wants to be equal, with equal pay, then she should be able to do the same work as a man. When EQUAL enters the conversation then sex should not play a factor.

My girlfriend agrees believe it or not. She thinks it's funny that some(not all) feminist expect equal rights, same pay, etc.....but expect doors to be open for them...

LOL....I'm not a feelings guy.  If a women wants to be equal, with equal pay, then she should be able to do the same work as a man. When EQUAL enters the conversation then sex should not play a factor.

My girlfriend agrees believe it or not. She thinks it's funny that some(not all) feminist expect equal rights, same pay, etc.....but expect doors to be open for them...

I have a friend who always used to say that women and men won't truly be equal until women register for the draft and men can get pregnant.

The law is old and outdated. Most women are in the work force now days and earn a good pay check. The laws that give the woman half of the man's belonging and assests were put in place for the women who were stay at home mom's.

That part is not so much outdated. If a woman is in the workforce and accumulating assets, the man is entitled to half her assets too. Community property is much better than what some states have.

The area that is way outdated IMO is child support. It is pretty much locked in at a certain percentage and judges refuse to look at anything else. Here's the rub: A father who has visitation with his child(ren) pursuant to the standard possession order pays 20 percent of his net income for 1 child, 25 percent for 2, 30 percent for 3, etc (assuming all kids are with the same mom). When these percentages were set, the standard visitation was about 20 percent of the year. Now, if a father maximizes his times with his kiddos, it is approximately 40 percent of the year.

This is great for co-parenting and allows fathers to see their kids more. However, the child support percentages never changed. So a dad has his kids twice as much (and obviously is spending more money on them when they are in his care) and is still paying the same amount of child support.

This is why I believe when both parents are good parents, the equal custody arrangement tragichippy has is optimal. It's 3 to 4 days a month more for dad than the extended SPO and then child support is figured by computing both people's child support and the higher earner paying the difference.

My 2 cents...