LCM Prom Bus busted by Kemah police

What is fishy? Lumberton had the same issue and nothing happened to those students. The news is reporting it.....This is not like cheating, a sex crime, stealing money, etc.....this is a bus load of seniors drinking. This has been going on for YEARS.....My senior year we drove to the beach, drank underage, got caught by the cops (who made us pour it out) and we drove home....We were being STUPID driving.....at least these seniors had the sense to get a bus.

Just because Lumberton had the same issue makes it right and ok to downplay teenagers? I wouldn't expect you to agree with this.

Just because Lumberton had the same issue makes it right and ok to downplay teenagers? I wouldn't expect you to agree with this.

I doubt that it is about agreement. It looks like it is trying to be made into some kind of big scandal when it is just high school kids drinking. 

Wrong? Yes.

Shocking or scandalous? No. 

It is scandalous. There were adults present that were probably in on this. And now they all refuse to cooperate. TVC... Hippy, do you really not see the problem with this?

There were no indications that there were any parents present and they charged the driver with providing the alchohol. I'm not sure what else they're looking for.

Am I down playing it YES! My point with mentioning Lumberton was to show that it is a common thing to do. I would guess 70% of High Schoolers have drank (at least one) with or without parents knowledge.

Do I agree with it....NO

Would I punish my Son if he had been on that bus.....YES

Would I bring him to the police and turn him in.....NO

I would handle it at home......like most parents would.  Now if he was a problem kid and this was not the first time he was in trouble....then a police lesson may be needed......but I would have to be in that situation to honestly answer.

It is scandalous. There were adults present that were probably in on this. And now they all refuse to cooperate. TVC... Hippy, do you really not see the problem with this?

they have a right to remain silent.....

If this were something bigger than underage drinking on prom night, I may be more outraged, but it's not. Underage kids drank and no one was killed.....I would say it ended up a good night. My senior year I drove home from the beach drunk....with 3 other kids......in a 65 Mustang doing 80-90 down the old beach road....I'm lucky to be alive.....So when I see a senior class renting a bus to avoid drunk driving, although it may be wrong, and I personally would never let my son on that bus, I'm not going to get all shook up about it. Lives were probably saved.

Am I down playing it YES! My point with mentioning Lumberton was to show that it is a common thing to do. I would guess 70% of High Schoolers have drank (at least one) with or without parents knowledge.

Do I agree with it....NO

I would handle it at home......like most parents would. Now if he was a problem kid and this was not the first time he was in trouble....then a police lesson may be needed......but I would have to be in that situation to honestly answer.

^^^^^^^^this!!!!!!!

Do I agree with it....NO

I would handle it at home......like most parents would. Now if he was a problem kid and this was not the first time he was in trouble....then a police lesson may be needed......but I would have to be in that situation to honestly answer.

70%? I'm sure that number is inflated. Where is the source for that number? I'll wait...

Why wouldn't you allow police to be involved? Have you ever seen 'beyond scared straight'? Scare the heck out of them so they don't think about doing it again!

And there shouldn't be a problem at home had the right parental guidance been instilled. Like I said, I had a vast amount of childhood friends and close associates and non of them were drinkers...

they have a right to remain silent.....

If this were something bigger than underage drinking on prom night, I may be more outraged, but it's not. Underage kids drank and no one was killed.....I would say it ended up a good night. My senior year I drove home from the beach drunk....with 3 other kids......in a 65 Mustang doing 80-90 down the old beach road....I'm lucky to be alive.....So when I see a senior class renting a bus to avoid drunk driving, although it may be wrong, and I personally would never let my son on that bus, I'm not going to get all shook up about it. Lives were probably saved.

Underaged drinking can lead to MUCH bigger problems. You know this. And to thinj that some was allowed ti to to prom. Smh

Underaged drinking can lead to MUCH bigger problems. You know this. And to thinj that some was allowed ti to to prom. Smh

I doubt that most parents know (they may suspect) what all goes on after prom.   I am glad my mom didn't know what I did after prom!  :) .   I agree with Hippy, if I found out my daughter did something like this it would be handled at home.   :angry:

I doubt that most parents know (they may suspect) what all goes on after prom. I am glad my mom didn't know what I did after prom! :) . I agree with Hippy, if I found out my daughter did something like this it would be handled at home. :angry:

They need to know how the real world operates and know the consequences for their actions. You take care of it at home, they'll probably do it again at the very next chance. At this age, being so close to finishing high school, they don't need to be at risk of teen pregnancy it exposed to alcohol at an early age...

BMTSoulja......

Too many post to try to quote, so here it goes....

1.  You were a good kid....Most/all of my friends drank at some point. We had strict parents so we had to be sober by our curfew which was I think 10:30PM or 11PM. So, we didn't get smashed.

2. I got lucky on this....I guessed 70% based on my experience when I was a kid in the 80's.....well, I should buy a lottery ticket today because look what I found,   "By age 18, more than 70 percent of teens have had at least one drink. http://www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/families/facts/statistics.aspx

3.  And I said if my child was a problem child, repeat offender, then I probably would get the police involved.....but if this was the first time I caught him drinking and it was his senior prom.....no way would I turn him in. I would give him a second chance...

4.  BMTSoulja.......Do you have a child?

BMTSoulja.......It's actually worse than I thought........

As they grow older, the chance that young people will use alcohol grows. Approximately 10 percent of 12-year-olds say they have used alcohol at least once. By age 13 that number doubles. And by age 15, approximately 50 percent have had at least one drink.

http://www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/families/facts/statistics.aspx

BMTSoulja......

1. You were a good kid....Most/all of my friends drank at some point. We had strict parents so we had to be sober by our curfew which was I think 10:30PM or 11PM. So, we didn't get smashed.

2. I got lucky on this....I guessed 70% based on my experience when I was a kid in the 80's.....well, I should buy a lottery ticket today because look what I found, "By age 18, more than 70 percent of teens have had at least one drink. http://www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/families/facts/statistics.aspx

3. And I said if my child was a problem child, repeat offender, then I probably would get the police involved.....but if this was the first time I caught him drinking and it was his senior prom.....no way would I turn him in. I would give him a second chance...

4. BMTSoulja.......Do you have a child?

Yes, I have a teenage son and teenage stepchildren...

BMTSoulja......

1. You were a good kid....Most/all of my friends drank at some point. We had strict parents so we had to be sober by our curfew which was I think 10:30PM or 11PM. So, we didn't get smashed.

2. I got lucky on this....I guessed 70% based on my experience when I was a kid in the 80's.....well, I should buy a lottery ticket today because look what I found, "By age 18, more than 70 percent of teens have had at least one drink. http://www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/families/facts/statistics.aspx

3. And I said if my child was a problem child, repeat offender, then I probably would get the police involved.....but if this was the first time I caught him drinking and it was his senior prom.....no way would I turn him in. I would give him a second chance...

4. BMTSoulja.......Do you have a child?

Ok, so it does show 70%. I see. I just feel this way because my circle of friends wasn't exposed to drinking. We were involved in Other things like basketball, street football, video games, and parents that kept a tight watch on us.

And I wasn't raised in the burbs or the 'good' areas either. So you would think it would be easy for kids in the early '90s to be exposed to this...

Yes, I have a teenage son and teenage stepchildren...

Good Luck!

I have a 13 year old boy who is his fathers son for sure. He is active in all sports and is just getting girl crazy and appearance crazy. My father was super strict on me to the point I has scared to talk to him. He meant well and taught me values, but he also didn't prepare me for the real world. I'm trying to strike a balance between a strict Father and a Father he can talk to when/if he has problems.....

I spend all my time with him and he is starting to love to fish.....I think I'm going to have a small window to teach him to fish before girls completely take over :)

I have 4 teens. I will leave you All with something the older generation used to say: Don't ever say what your child won't do. My favorite saying: All the things you Hate could end up a part of your Family ( Gay, Black/ White/ Hispanic, Fat, Skinny, Poor. etc......

Be careful of the things you say & do(while you're digging a grave, you might as well Dig two). POWERFUL!!!!!!!

If you haven't noticed, I was raised by a no nonsense God fearing community. NOTICE I said Community. The WESTSIDE of Port Arthur. It takes a Village to raise a Child.
Prayerfully these young people can grow & learn from their mistake. God gave them another chance. Every year we hear of alcohol related deaths surrounding Prom & Graduation Celebrations. I've see the comments posted on here about how it was done when we were kids. All I will say to that is; that makes for a nice tombstone.
Be Responsible this Prom & Graduation Season. I'm Speaking to the Adults, not kids. We may not stop it All, but let's do our BEST to Curb it
God Bless