Looking for thoughts and opinions

col1324

Would like some thoughts and opinions on this scenario.....OK.....you have 2 teams that play in the same district.  They are rivals but have mutual respect for each other(so we thought).  One team I'll call East High School and the other will be West High School.  During the course of the district play East noticed that West had a scout at every one of their games.  East thought no big deal. Both East and West make the playoffs with East making a deeper run.  East finally loses to a better team but finds out that West gave all of the information that they scouted on East(about 10 games) over to the opponent East played.  Now....I am NOT in any way saying that the information that West turned over to the other team was the reason East lost. East was beat by a better team on that day.  What are your thoughts about West turning over all of their scouting reports to the opponent of East?      

Its kind of a thing amongst coaches to tell other coaches about the team they are playing. Say someone was playing a team like hardin in kountzes district and they called coach franklin and asked for some info he would tell them a little about the team because the coach is gonna eventually find out what the other team has but in this case im not sure how close the coaches from the team are but I wouldnt venture out to say that the coach did it wanting east to lose

Its kind of a thing amongst coaches to tell other coaches about the team they are playing. Say someone was playing a team like hardin in kountzes district and they called coach franklin and asked for some info he would tell them a little about the team because the coach is gonna eventually find out what the other team has but in this case im not sure how close the coaches from the team are but I wouldnt venture out to say that the coach did it wanting east to lose

I understand that point. But that info could have been asked for by a team that was recently defeated in 3 game series by said team.

Also, I believe the poster is stating that the team offered the info to the other team without being asked. ;)

In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with it. Next year or the year after, your team may have to play someone in the same district as the person you helped and thats just what coaches do.... They help each other... I may have what you need now but you may have what I need next year or the year after that.... Happens everywhere....

Happens every year.  I can remember a few years back when several coaches from a neighboring district offered their season's scouting info on their district rival we were playing several rounds into the playoffs.  Sure enough, this coach they disliked was a huge jerk to not only opponents but even his own players.  Coaching Karma, I suppose.

Really isn't an issue. It's part of baseball. There are scouts at every football game as well. If a coach had a family member, a friend or just doesn't like a one school he'll give notes to another team in the playoffs. Same for baseball. Good teams overcome scouting reports. We changed signals every inning. Tendencies and our game plan changed from scouting reports we got on other teams. You could have the greatest detailed scouting report in the world.....it doesn't win the game. You still have to go out and execute. If a player tips his pitches that's generally picked up by players not coaches. We stole signs ALL the time and discussed a pitcher after every bat. Heck we still do in old man baseball! When I played for PNG if I found out Nederland or LCM gave notes to our playoff opponent I wouldn't care nor would I be shocked.

Teams that adapt to their environment are the most successful. This is true from the coach down to the player (yes, mom and dad, jr. is expected to make game time adjustments.) What irks me the most is watching a player not do what his/her coaches are telling them and the parents steadily yelling at the coach to make adjustments.

If you are predictiable, even the granparents in the stands can figure out what you are doing.

My opinion...
Of all team sports, scouting reports for baseball are waste of time and energy. It's like cards, you play the odds of best pitch count to steal or "expect" a certain pitch. Signs can be picked up, but the batter has to hit the damn thing. As a player, I never wanted to "know" the pitch. Pick up the ball and react. What can a report tell you? The left fielder cheats over 3 steps and up 4 with runners on second and third and less than 2 outs?! Use the time to have a team take extra swings, situations, tendencies. Which in baseball, should be constant. A baseball manager is babysitter. The players must execute in the moment. I could go on, but that is my opinion on scouting in baseball.