Going Bananas?

mat

Yes, an 18 year old can be in possession of a semi-automatic rifle in Texas...but as TVC pointed out in the mall case, he may be in trouble for displaying it in a manner that causes alarm to folks.

The bad thing about this whole situation is that extremist gun activists are backing up Derek Poe. I personally own each of the weapons he's used in his stunts, but i would never dream of doing what he's done. He's staging publicity stunts to try and generate interest in his business under the guise of "demonstrating his rights." Local gun owners have already been negatively affected by this, as we can no longer conceal carry in Parkdale Mall because of their reaction to his stunt. The thing about Texas law is that there is no explicit law banning the open carry of a long gun, but there is also no law saying it's okay. it's essentially legal by omission. This omission allows hunters to carry a rifle down the road to a stand, or a gun enthusiast to carry a rifle into or out of a gun range or similar business. I have to believe that most people with a modicum of common sense can step back and say that there is no practical reason to carry an AR-15 through a crowded mall, and it defies logic that someone would do so and then claim to be shocked when people panic. "Because I have a right to" does not make the action okay. If the small minority of extremist gun owners keep pulling stunts like these, laws will begun to be passed limiting open carry, and then the same people that cause it to happen will be demonstrating and protesting and complaining about it.

That is a dem coming out of the Obama age just lie and get in then do the exact opposite . Dont believe this for a minute!

Maybe, maybe not. I think there are more hybrids today then there used to be. A lot more people are going different directions on different issues. I'm a good example. Some things I agree with you guys on, and some things I get the entire board mad at me.