Good news for Silsbee basketball

Silsbee senior, Super Gold and all state player Chris Elam was cleared by UIL to play sports this year.

Chris is already on the football field practicing with the football team. Look for Chris to be a playmaker for the Tigers.

Very happy for Chris and have a great senior year!!

Because he is over the age requirement and he has already played 4 years of varsity basketball.

Other than that, no problem, right?

Seems like a good kid, and he's a heck of a player.  But honestly this one is a bit of a "head scratcher"...

[quote name="Yeoj" post="1422797" timestamp="1376008277"]
I didn't know you could have fifth year senors in high school...
[/quote]

This is Chris only 4th year at the high school. He did play JV as an 8th grader.

There are circumstances that allow certain students to play sports at an older age.

Elam and Holmes were a dynamic guard tandem last year.  Hopefully someone is stepping up to take Holmes spot on the court. 

I only saw two games last season, three actually, but the first didn't count cause the best players were in the football playoffs.  I saw the game against Kashmere at Kashmere.  Lots of memories, kashmere gardens, and trinity gardens are like second home towns. 

I saw the playoff game against Kashmere in Baytown.  I didn't know there were fights in the stands until the next day.  Elam is quick as a snake, Holmes was too.
And, I saw the game against Yates in Huntsville.  I've already said enough about that game.

I enjoy watch Chris Elam play. With his senior leadership the Tigers should be a force in both football and basketball.

Hoping that I was mis-informed on this one but the word on the street is that this young man will be 20 years old at some point during the basketball season next year. If that's the case then there is something seriously broken within the system. Whether or not he has used up four year's of athletics is truly irrelavent in all of this as the bigger question should be why is he being rewarded for failing in the classroom. This gives "opening up Pandora's box" a whole new meaning in regards to this subject. What message is being sent to the up and coming youth that in all likely hood be faced with a similar perdicament if they are not taking care of their academics. I love watching a talented ball player but to watch one who by all intent and purpose should NOT be on the court with teenagers sours it a bit. Academics should ALWAYS supercede athletics, Silsbee High's leadership is sending out a terrible message on this one!!!

[quote name="Basketball IQ" post="1423673" timestamp="1376342180"]
Hoping that I was mis-informed on this one but the word on the street is that this young man will be 20 years old at some point during the basketball season next year. If that's the case then there is something seriously broken within the system. Whether or not he has used up four year's of athletics is truly irrelavent in all of this as the bigger question should be why is he being rewarded for failing in the classroom. This gives "opening up Pandora's box" a whole new meaning in regards to this subject. What message is being sent to the up and coming youth that in all likely hood be faced with a similar perdicament if they are not taking care of their academics. I love watching a talented ball player but to watch one who by all intent and purpose should NOT be on the court with teenagers sours it a bit. Academics should ALWAYS supercede athletics, Silsbee High's leadership is sending out a terrible message on this one!!!
[/quote]Mis-informed!!! He is not 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Chris!!!

[quote name="hjhawks" post="1423770" timestamp="1376362789"]
what would those reasons be? just curious....
[/quote] Reason #1- Read Carmello Anthony's bio. Kids learn in different environments. Some learn better in private schools with smaller classrooms. Anthony struggled in public schools. Oak Hill gave him a [color=red]structured[/color] environment to learn.

Wow, just joining the conversation. Elam can really play, getting an extra year to play for whatever the reason is Great. We all wish we could get another opportunity to play. I'm in my 40's, if the UIL gave me another shot I'm Ballin' on your kid ;D ;D

Good Luck & God Bless Chris.  Remember he is still a kid & is someone's child

[quote name="Bigcam2903" post="1423806" timestamp="1376396085"]
Wow, just joining the conversation. Elam can really play, getting an extra year to play for whatever the reason is Great. We all wish we could get another opportunity to play. I'm in my 40's, if the UIL gave me another shot I'm Ballin' on your kid ;D ;D

Good Luck & God Bless Chris.  Remember he is still a kid & is someone's child
[/quote]I think a lot of us would back you up on this one. Just keep the Ben Gay in stock.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423774" timestamp="1376363612"]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=113235.msg1423770#msg1423770 date=1376362789]
[/quote] Reason #1- Read Carmello Anthony's bio. Kids learn in different environments. Some learn better in private schools with smaller classrooms. Anthony struggled in public schools. Oak Hill gave him a [color=red]structured[/color] environment to learn.
[/quote]

So Anthony went to  Oak Hill for academic purposes?

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1423824" timestamp="1376399566"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113235.msg1423774#msg1423774 date=1376363612]
[/quote]

[/quote]Read his bio.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423825" timestamp="1376399649"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=113235.msg1423824#msg1423824 date=1376399566]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113235.msg1423774#msg1423774 date=1376363612]
[/quote]

[/quote]Read his bio.
[/quote]

I have.  I wonder if his problem with skipping classes also changed when  he went to Oak Hill?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder