Police officer enters wrong apartment, shoots resident

Big girl

Idk, maybe she was like "hey i think ill go shoot a black man today". 

They obviously knew each other. There is obviously something we all don't know yet. She should be charged with murder. Her being a police officer has zero to do with this case. Her excuse is very hard to believe. Again, obviously something more to the story. However, throwing "police brutality" and racist white cop into the mix is an absolute joke.

33 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Idk, maybe she was like "hey i think ill go shoot a black man today". 

They obviously knew each other. There is obviously something we all don't know yet. She should be charged with murder. Her being a police officer has zero to do with this case. Her excuse is very hard to believe. Again, obviously something more to the story. However, throwing "police brutality" and racist white cop into the mix is an absolute joke.

What makes you think they knew each other? 

I think it pretty much been established that they didn’t know each other unless you believe the fake Facebook photos......

6 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

What makes you think they knew each other? 

I think it pretty much been established that they didn’t know each other unless you believe the fake Facebook photos......

I find her story very hard to believe. It does not make much sense, and I believe she probably knew him. Obviously knew him? Maybe not obviously. But nah, I have a hard time believing what she is saying. But to each his own. My point, this has nothing to do with police brutality. Point blank. ..............

3 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I find her story very hard to believe. It does not make much sense, and I believe she probably knew him. Obviously knew him? Maybe not obviously. But nah, I have a hard time believing what she is saying. But to each his own. My point, this has nothing to do with police brutality. Point blank. ..............

You are probably correct about not having anything to do with police brutality. 

Until it is shown otherwise (and it very well could), her story is very plausible. I believe that unless the state can show otherwise, she may be acquitted by a jury.... if it should even get that far. 

7 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

You are probably correct about not having anything to do with police brutality. 

Until it is shown otherwise (and it very well could), her story is very plausible. I believe that unless the state can show otherwise, she may be acquitted by a jury.... if it should even get that far. 

The truth and a verdict is two different things.. It's not what you know it is what you can prove in court. I think they will have a hard time proving beyond all reasonable doubt. Good thing for me, I am not a jury held to that oath. I find it very hard to believe you walk into an apartment that isn't yours, don't realize your in the wrong apartment, don't turn on any lights, see a figure, pull your gun and shoot. Idk, like I said, it could be one of those bizarre circumstances, and if it is that is terrible for all involved, but Idk, something seems super fishy.

23 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

The truth and a verdict is two different things.. It's not what you know it is what you can prove in court. I think they will have a hard time proving beyond all reasonable doubt. Good thing for me, I am not a jury held to that oath. I find it very hard to believe you walk into an apartment that isn't yours, don't realize your in the wrong apartment, don't turn on any lights, see a figure, pull your gun and shoot. Idk, like I said, it could be one of those bizarre circumstances, and if it is that is terrible for all involved, but Idk, something seems super fishy.

I love the “what if” game.  

I can think of several what ifs in this case. 

However.....

It is my opinion that many of the rationalizations of why this was a crime by her, have little to no experience in investigations or people involved in life threatening incidents. 

As an example, when faced with a life threatening situation, people tend to get tunnel vision and fixation and may not notice the color of a rug, a person’s shoes or what the items were on the bar. 

A person certainly has the right to an opinion and simply not believe her. I have seen lots of speculation and almost no facts to refute her story. 

She might be guilty of Capital Murder and should get the death penalty or some other homicide but I have seen nothing to back that up the Facebook or other internet speculations. 

The rug was outside of the apartment in front of his door. There are 2 witnesses that claim they heard her yelling "let me in". Initially, she said her key opened the door, now she is saying that the door was ajar. I find her story hard to believe; as well. Some speculate that she was a jilted lover. How was she in a life threatening situation?

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

The rug was outside of the apartment in front of his door. There are 2 witnesses that claim they heard her yelling "let me in". Initially, she said her key opened the door, now she is saying that the door was ajar. I find her story hard to believe; as well. Some speculate that she was a jilted lover. How was she in a life threatening situation?

Never thought I'd ever say this: I agree with Big Girl....kinda. Story is hard to believe. I think where we are different is "life threaten situation". IF, IF, she truly believed she was in her apartment and seen a silhoutte of an unknown man in her house, she gave commands to not move or whatever, then shot. IF someone was in my house, and I said stop where you are, don't move, and they ignored and kept moving, I would probably shoot too. But again, the whole story is super fishy.

46 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Never thought I'd ever say this: I agree with Big Girl....kinda. Story is hard to believe. I think where we are different is "life threaten situation". IF, IF, she truly believed she was in her apartment and seen a silhoutte of an unknown man in her house, she gave commands to not move or whatever, then shot. IF someone was in my house, and I said stop where you are, don't move, and they ignored and kept moving, I would probably shoot too. But again, the whole story is super fishy.

If the door was ajar, why didn't she call for back-up. I thought that officers were trained to observe their surroundings. I have a hard time getting past the red rug in front of his door. She didn't have one in front of hers.

25 minutes ago, Big girl said:

If the door was ajar, why didn't she call for back-up. I thought that officers were trained to observe their surroundings. I have a hard time getting past the red rug in front of his door. She didn't have one in front of hers.

Again, I am in agreement with you. Also, remember she is off duty, this has nothing to do with police shoots anybody. Civilian kills civilian. Surely there is more to the story, but I do not believe and hope people don't turn it into, "police vs African American" or "white vs black". I do not believe either were a factor.

15 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Again, I am in agreement with you. Also, remember she is off duty, this has nothing to do with police shoots anybody. Civilian kills civilian. Surely there is more to the story, but I do not believe and hope people don't turn it into, "police vs African American" or "white vs black". I do not believe either were a factor.

I agree. Imagine that. :)

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

Nope. An officer finding his own door open is not going to wait for backup or even call for help until he investigates. 

2 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

She is never techically off duty. We use the term off duty to note whether the officer was being paid at the moment. In this case she was even in uniform. She is either on the clock and being paid or she is off the clock but acting as an officer does stop at the end of her shift. I could be on  vacation in Austin and arrest someone just as if I was at work in uniform.  

Remember the officer that was “off duty” in Orange about 8 years ago  who  shot and killed the “unarmed man” at the auto parts store (except that was a black officer shooting an unarmed white guy). He was considered as acting within his authority as a police officer and cleared without a trial. 

24 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

She is never techically off duty. We use the term off duty to note whether the officer was being paid at the moment. In this case she was even in uniform. She is either on the clock and being paid or she is off the clock but acting as an officer does stop at the end of her shift. I could be on  vacation in Austin and arrest someone just as if I was at work in uniform.  

Remember the officer that was “off duty” in Orange about 8 years ago  who  shot and killed the “unarmed man” at the auto parts store (except that was a black officer shooting an unarmed white guy). He was considered as acting within his authority as a police officer and cleared without a trial. 

I understand that off duty cops still have authority.  Again, point is not making about "police brutality". The officer was doing nothing that resembled police work, as she was off duty...

Would a city cop, off duty, in another city have authority in a different city they work, or is their authority contained to that city in which they work? Example... Dallas city cop vacationing in Austin.

20 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I understand that off duty cops still have authority.  Again, point is not making about "police brutality". The officer was doing nothing that resembled police work, as she was off duty...

Would a city cop, off duty, in another city have authority in a different city they work, or is their authority contained to that city in which they work? Example... Dallas city cop vacationing in Austin.

Same authority. Texas law does not distinguish  between on and off duty or jurisdiction except to say that if an officer makes an arrest outside of his own jurisdiction, he must immediately turn that person over to an officer from that jurisdiction. 

That seems reasonable. An officer from Dallas who makes an arrest in Austin can’t drag the suspect back to Dallas because that is not where the crime happened. You have to call the local police after the arrest. 

Not exactly the same but..... 

About 6 weeks ago police in Colorado shot and killed a man in his own home after the family called the police for a burglary in progress. The homeowner did have a gun but was defending his family from an actual intruder. It looks like the homeowner didn’t comply with commands to drop the weapon and was killed.  A completely innocent man who was defending his family from an actual intruder was shot and killed by the police. Does that officer(s) go to jail for murder? 

In both cases a completely innocent person is killed by the police acting in a reasonable belief (assuming the officer in Dallas actually made a mistake). 

This is the hidden content, please

In both cases within a few weeks of each other the police killed an innocent person (not even up for debate) in his own home. In one the police were called to the situation and in the other the officer walked up on it. The laws on defense don’t change. 

I like almost everyone else would love to see the actual facts and not the fake internet speculations, some reported as fact and some put out by attorneys. 

55 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Same authority. Texas law does not distinguish  between on and off duty or jurisdiction except to say that if an officer makes an arrest outside of his own jurisdiction, he must immediately turn that person over to an officer from that jurisdiction. 

That seems reasonable. An officer from Dallas who makes an arrest in Austin can’t drag the suspect back to Dallas because that is not where the crime happened. You have to call the local police after the arrest. 

I was just curious if county cops could make arrests in other counties. Good info. So State police can make arrests in other states or no?

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I was just curious if county cops could make arrests in other counties. Good info. So State police can make arrests in other states or no?

Generally speaking, all police in Texas are equal. Various state police (TABC, DPS, TPWD Game Wardens, etc.), city police, city fire department arson investigators, county police (sheriff, DA investigators, constables, etc.) and others are all under the classification of peace officers. Most laws do not distinguish which laws they can enforce or on or off duty and in sone cases, active duty or retired. There are some specific authorities in very limited situations where authority rests with certain agencies but for probably 98% of the time an officer is an officer. One example is that officers have authority to make arrests statewide but traffic jurisdiction only in their county. 

Texas police have no authority to enforce laws outside of Texas unless that state grants cituzen arrests OR the officer has been granted that authority by an agency in that state, like being deputized. I have been a Missouri police officer for about a week each year for over 20 years as an example.