Recruiting Questions

Kind of new to the recruiting thing. Guess trying to get input from others that went through the recruiting process. We are currently working the smaller schools angle, NAIA, D3 (no athletic scholarship) right now. Probably going backwards, but watching other people, they are wanting D1 only. I think mine isn't at that level all the way around, not consistent enough. Hopefully, he can get numbers up and get in front of the right people. Have a couple of prospect camps on our schedule coming up at specific colleges, so maybe that will help. I've noticed some very successful kids in the golden triangle that didn't get anything until late senior year, that's what worries us. Anyways, I'm rambling. LOL

I think that's a lot about timing. There's only so much money to give out and a lot times seems like they are trying to fill spots they lost. Its a grind, none of it is easy. Grades make a big difference also (really helps). We were blessed to be put in the right spot at right time with our summer ball team. Our coaches on the Gladiators did an outstanding job getting kids looked at. And if I'm correct every kid got an offer to play at the next level. Just have to keep working and push to get better. Sounds like your on the right track!!!!

HOTROD made some great points Tradenup BH. It is a lot about timing and what the specific college is looking for. There are a ton of myths out there about baseball recruiting and scholarships. Unfortunately, a lot of Dads also stretch the truth about the process (And their kids VELO!!)  which makes it even harder for someone who is trying to learn. Baseball is probably the most unique sport as far as going D1 vs D2,D3, NAIA or Juco after high school. There is a ton of talent at Juco's (Esp Pitchers) because they can enter the draft each year tying to better their draft position, where at a D1 they cant be eligible until their Junior year to be drafted once they enter D1. Also, as HOTROD stated, there is only so much money that D1's have, which to be precise is 11.7 scholarships per year. So it is extremely rare to see a D1 give a 100% scholarship to anyone and most of the D1 money is gone before HS kids start their senior school year. Juco's generally (There are a few exceptions where they have less) have 24 scholarships to award, but they also carry more players on the roster generally speaking. I agree with HOTRODs statement  to make sure your son is with a good organization that will give him the best chance to be exposed to colleges. My son also plays with the Gladiators and "most" of our boys will have a chance to play at the next level as well. Good luck with your son, it is a grind.

Oh, I get all of that Ballboy96. I have my 2019 on paper from the showcase from them showing the Velo. He was 82 mph from 3rd to 1st, 82 mph from OF, and pitching was 82 mph on fastball. I thought it was odd that all three were the same speed, but whatever. I'm just glad we have a baseline to start with. We play for a team in Houston for Summer ball, so we have options. I just didn't know some of the ins and outs on recruiting. I agree with you though on dad's talking Velo because I personally know some folks with inflated numbers. That's the reason why I had him go to a showcase and get it from a respectable 3rd party. lol

The numbers that were required to play on a D1 squad and that is D1 JuCo  or University, for a RH Kid was 88 no mater what position, Except catcher and his velo needs to be 82 or above pop time 1.90 or less 60 speed 7.0 or less. Sec or Big12 6.7 or less. Most coaches will not tell you that you need to increase your velocity. They simply tell you  to get stronger. But that is what it means. Good Luck

This is a good topic ! My son and I are new to this recruiting, he's a 2019 LHP sits 85-88 consistently and has gotten a lot of looks and summer coaches have called him to let him know a few D1 coaches want him to contact them and he has and they have watched him, but the kid gets frustrated when they tell him you looked good but we want to watch you a couple of more times and I think I understand what there wanting to see but to a kid he doesn't ....especially when he's pitched well and velocity was up! I do agree it's all about timing and being at the right place at the right time! But when my son sees others getting scholarship offers that he knows his velocity and control is better than he just doesn't understand and I try and tell him , that kid may have had a good day in front of the right person! Anyway thanks for the info this helps!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...