Question: Has the Silsbee & HJ rivalry lost some of its appeal?

Guest Farmer Fran

Guest Air Bisquit
There use to be so much back and forth smack talk between the schools fans, that it would dominate this board.
Sometimes as much as 25 pages or so.

Maybe it's just because we are getting older and more mature. ;D ;D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1371021" timestamp="1360262058"]
There use to be so much back and forth smack talk between the schools fans, that it would dominate this board.

[/quote]

Or, perhaps nearly everyone is convinced of the same outcome?

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1371027" timestamp="1360262483"]
[quote author=Farmer Fran link=topic=109036.msg1371021#msg1371021 date=1360262058]

[/quote]

Or, perhaps nearly everyone is convinced of the same outcome?
[/quote  Nash has been on this board talking about HJ more than any HJ  fan.

Most of the pot stirrers either stepped on the wrong person's toes or hurt the wrong person's feelings. What they said was nonsense but was very entertaining and helped move the board on slow days. Also, I think posters from both schools have figured out that only one game is really all that important and that game is played in Huntsville. The dark cloud of Yates hanging around has also perhaps hurt expectations. More rambling, but I also feel the district's (schools') absurd decision to play the girls and boys varsity at the same venue has hurt the rivalry. And oh yeah most feel that this next game's outcome has already been decided.

[quote name="Tiger94" post="1371039" timestamp="1360263810"]
Most of the pot stirrers either stepped on the wrong person's toes or hurt the wrong person's feelings. What they said was nonsense but was very entertaining and helped move the board on slow days. Also, I think posters from both schools have figured out that only one game is really all that important and that game is played in Huntsville. The dark cloud of Yates hanging around has also perhaps hurt expectations. More rambling, but I also feel the district's (schools') absurd decision to play the girls and boys varsity at the same venue has hurt the rivalry. And oh yeah most feel that this next game's outcome has already been decided.
[/quote]

No girls game this time. Just boys (9th, JV, Varsity).

Because of how Silsbee dominated for 3 quarters last time, HJ losing to another team in district, and HJ also losing one of their top players, I can see where folks would predict a Tiger blowout over the Hawks. But I have seen enough of these two teams play each other over the years to know that predicting blowouts in this game is ludicrous.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1371054" timestamp="1360264926"]
Just a quick FYI- On Friday, the three boys games will be played at Ford Park instead of the varsity girls and then varsity boys
[/quote]
With all 3teams playing this time will the crowd turn out for all the games or just the Varsity? I like the build up leading to the big Rivalry game and will be there for all 3 games.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1371057" timestamp="1360265087"]
[quote author=Tiger94 link=topic=109036.msg1371039#msg1371039 date=1360263810]
[/quote]

No girls game this time. Just boys (9th, JV, Varsity).

Because of how Silsbee dominated for 3 quarters last time, HJ losing to another team in district, and [b]HJ also losing one of their top players[/b], I can see where folks would predict a Tiger blowout over the Hawks. But I have seen enough of these two teams play each other over the years to know that predicting blowouts in this game is ludicrous.
[/quote]

Who did H-J lose? Who are they missing?

[quote name="Team Game" post="1371070" timestamp="1360265948"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109036.msg1371054#msg1371054 date=1360264926]
Just a quick FYI- On Friday, the three boys games will be played at Ford Park instead of the varsity girls and then varsity boys
[/quote]
With all 3teams playing this time will the crowd turn out for all the games or just the Varsity? I like the build up leading to the big Rivalry game and will be there for all 3 games.
[/quote]Me too. Just curious...the Silsbee JV is 10-0 in district. Not sure of HJ JV record. Does the JV game have any significance in the district race?

[quote name="DXTR" post="1371087" timestamp="1360266885"]
[quote author=Team Game link=topic=109036.msg1371070#msg1371070 date=1360265948]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109036.msg1371054#msg1371054 date=1360264926]
[/quote]
[/quote]Me too. Just curious...the Silsbee JV is 10-0 in district. Not sure of HJ JV record. [b]Does the JV game have any significance in the district race?[/b]
[/quote]

It's my understanding that Silsbee JV has a two game lead just like the Tiger varsity. A win tonight by both teams would clinch the out right district title for both the Silsbee Varsity and JV.

[quote name="DXTR" post="1371087" timestamp="1360266885"]
[quote author=Team Game link=topic=109036.msg1371070#msg1371070 date=1360265948]
[/quote]
[/quote]Me too. Just curious...the Silsbee JV is 10-0 in district. Not sure of HJ JV record. Does the JV game have any significance in the district race?
[/quote]

Silsbee won the first JV game between HJ and Silsbee and HJ will be missing two starters from that game.

Guest Air Bisquit
Last year fans were talking about playing somewhere else because the 2 schools gyms were to small..Now fans are saying the big arena takes away from the atmosphere. 

A friend of mine told me today, that maybe the rivalry is becoming one sided.
Silsbee has won the last 9 out of 12 games.
I beginning to think he is right

I don't know if it has lost any appeal but I do feel like moving it to a larger facility sort of takes away from the home court feel of the game not to mention the depth perception (open space behind the baskets) issue for young players which can and does impact outside shooting. Hopefully they will go back to the home and home scenario so that the energy in the building will remain a part of the game as well, as for the fans who don't sometime make it inside to watch that old adage of "first come, first serve" applies......

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1371377" timestamp="1360330822"]
LOL!  I've always loved the 9 out of 12 games thing

Why not just state the entire series record since they entered the same district instead of picking a certain point in the middle and going from there?
[/quote]

well, the point being that Silsbee has been pretty dominant over the last several seasons, which some might say would take away a little bit from the rivalry, although anybody who's been to pretty much any single one of those 12 games knows how great these games are.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1371377" timestamp="1360330822"]
LOL!  I've always loved the 9 out of 12 games thing

Why not just state the entire series record since they entered the same district instead of picking a certain point in the middle and going from there?
[/quote]

I can only guess that the reason the member posted about Silsbee winning 9 of last 12 against HJ was to maybe point out the recent trend in that Silsbee has obviously had the upper hand in the series and that may be a reason why the rivalry has lost some appeal.

But to accommodate your request, here is the numbers on the series between the two teams since both joined 21-3A in the '06-'07 season:

Silsbee                HJ               
'07                    1                      2
'08                    2                        2
'09                    2                      1
'10                    2                      1
'11                    2                      0
'12                    1                      1
'13                    1                      0

Since both teams have been in same district, Silsbee currently leads the series 11-7.

HJ has beaten Silsbee only 3 times in last 5 seasons to this point.

That is the trend that I point out in the broadcast thread. IMO, that is significant in how this series has gone.

The reason there is not much talk on this board about Silsbee vs HJ is because most of the HJ fans were run off the board.

Silsbee has definitely had the upper hand recently but they still continue to fold when it matters.  Hopefully for them it is different this year.

[quote name="smooth" post="1371433" timestamp="1360335406"]
The reason there is not much talk on this board about Silsbee vs HJ is because[b] most of the HJ fans were run off the board.
[/b]
Silsbee has definitely had the upper hand recently but they still continue to[b] fold when it matters[/b].  Hopefully for them it is different this year.
[/quote]

Please explain the bold text.

Exactly what I was referring to.  Silsbee has had the talent to have at least 2 state championships since becoming 3A.  2 is under shooting it in my mind.  It seems they can't play big games besides the ones against HJ.  I truly hope they over come that. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami