Give me a freaking break... Lamar is picked 6th in MBB by yahoo

UNLV

Sagrin has Lamar 126 ending last year
SFA 168
SELA 303
SHSU 288
NSU 323

No way, except SFA a possible maybe, to improve to 126 or better. Lamar lost 4 starters, but those guys are equal to the talent coming in. Lamar should be slightly better even with younger and less experienced players.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1295205" timestamp="1349751733"]
SFA 168
SELA 303
SHSU 288
NSU 323

No way, except SFA a possible maybe, to improve to 126 or better. Lamar lost 4 starters, but those guys are equal to the talent coming in. [b]Lamar should be slightly better even with younger and less experienced players.[/b]
[/quote]

I disagree. I think at the beginning of the season they will not be as good as last year's team, which these rankings are based on, therefore why they are "preseason" rankings.

I do believe though that Lamar could be better than last year's team by the end of the season.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1295257" timestamp="1349782299"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=104387.msg1295205#msg1295205 date=1349751733]
SFA 168
SELA 303
SHSU 288
NSU 323

No way, except SFA a possible maybe, to improve to 126 or better. Lamar lost 4 starters, but those guys are equal to the talent coming in. [b]Lamar should be slightly better even with younger and less experienced players.[/b]
[/quote]

I disagree. I think at the beginning of the season they will not be as good as last year's team, which these rankings are based on, therefore why they are "preseason" rankings.

I do believe though that Lamar could be better than last year's team by the end of the season.
[/quote]Last years team was not good. The coaching was the differences. Last years team didn't make the SLC tourney the year before. Last years team was athletic, but not smart. The team that ended Lamar season was much younger, less athletic, however much smarter. Knight is bringing in smart players. We will see a different style of basket that we are use to in this area and in the SLC.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1295332" timestamp="1349790682"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=104387.msg1295257#msg1295257 date=1349782299]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=104387.msg1295205#msg1295205 date=1349751733]
SFA 168
SELA 303
SHSU 288
NSU 323

[/quote]

[/quote]Last years team was not good. The coaching was the differences. Last years team didn't make the SLC tourney the year before. Last years team was athletic, but not smart. The team that ended Lamar season was much younger, less athletic, however much smarter. Knight is bringing in smart players. We will see a different style of basket that we are use to in this area and in the SLC.
[/quote]

The people who do preseason rankings don't care about all that.  They spend 5 minutes looking at who's returning from the year before, maybe see if there's any big name transfers coming in, and that's it.  If Lamar was in one of the power conferences then these reviewers would spend the time looking into all that, but that's not the case so these rankings don't mean much.

Also, half the team will be freshmen so until they prove something why do they deserve to be considered conference contenders?  I think they'll be good come conference but you never know.  Pat Knight also lost a couple of assistants so maybe the coaching won't be as good.

Very young team, yes, but higher quality than the average SLC. The SLC is not ranked 27th and 28th for the last few years for nothing. SLC MBB is awful. Among the nations worst. I don't expect more than 3 SLC schools  to rpi better than 200. Lamar and ORU are 2.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed