Nederland Special Teams

I have a question maybe someone can answer. Why, when you have a kicker that can kick out of the end zone everytime, do you call a pooch kick 80% of the time allowing the other team to get the ball anywhere from the 35-50? Over the past couple of years I have only seen 2 or 3 times where it's worked in our favor and they fumbled. I would much rather know that everytime they have to start at the 25.

I know someone is going to come back and say "why don't you be the coach and blah blah blah." I'm just asking a legitimate question.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1289671" timestamp="1349281820"]
I have a question maybe someone can answer. Why, when you have a kicker that can kick out of the end zone everytime, do you call a pooch kick 80% of the time allowing the other team to get the ball anywhere from the 35-50? Over the past couple of years I have only seen 2 or 3 times where it's worked in our favor and they fumbled. I would much rather know that everytime they have to start at the 25.

I know someone is going to come back and say "why don't you be the coach and blah blah blah." I'm just asking a legitimate question.
[/quote]

You know of a high shool kicker that can KICK IT OUT OF THE END ZONE every time?  Please post that name because there will be a lot of scouts wanting to see that. ???

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1289679" timestamp="1349282078"]
[quote author=GoDogs27 link=topic=104082.msg1289671#msg1289671 date=1349281820]

[/quote]

You know of a high shool kicker that can KICK IT OUT OF THE END ZONE every time?  Please post that name because there will be a lot of scouts wanting to see that. ???
[/quote]

Tanner Noel... Am I lying Big Ned faithful??

#17 Tanner Noel, great kid! I agree, this kid CAN kick it out or near the goal line every time, but, when it doesn't go that deep you open yourself up for a big play and it just seems like every now and then Nederland gets burned by the run back for T.D. I do agree, let him kick it long, 9 out of 10 it's going in the endzone....Not so sure about the injured part on other post, he kicks the crap out of it before the game and at halftime.

Noel has kicked some out of the endzone and can at least get it inside the 5 everytime if he is healthy.  If he is hurt then I understand the pooch kicks.  Most Nederland fans are asking the same question.  If the guy catches the ball at the goal line and runs 50 yards then shake his hand, but don't just give them the ball at midfield on a pooch when our kicker has the leg.  With Nederland's defense the kicking game can be a deciding factor in games, just on field position alone.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1289682" timestamp="1349282278"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=104082.msg1289679#msg1289679 date=1349282078]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taylor Noel... Am I lying Big Ned faithful??
[/quote]

I question the EVERYTIME part (out of the end zone, I mean).  It is my experience with human endeavors, no matter what they may be, that we humans are not perfect enough to do something EVERYTIME.  Now, that this young man may have the strongest leg in this area, or the whole world for that matter, in arguable; but without even seeing him I dispute the EVERYTIME claim. 

[/quote]

[/quote]Hijack  Hijack,  yea that's right dayton is doing another thread hijacking because we have a kicker that can kick out end zone 97% of the time: JUAN CARRANCO and he is heavily scouted.  He just kicked a 50 yrd FG in the last game.  His longest is 52 yrds twice last year.  8)  He has also put it thru the up rights a couple times on a kick off from the normal 40 yrd line.

With the rule change of bringing the out of end zone kick to the 25,I like the pooch kick option.A good pooch kick will give the other team no better field position than the 35 with the possibility of a fumble on the fair catch attempt.It also forces them to hit the home run against your defense and not your special team.Tanner pooch kicks very well but sometimes he does not hit it well and the out come is ugly.Same can be said about his deep kick.It comes down to execution.It is nice that he has a awesome leg to keep teams honest.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1289687" timestamp="1349282441"]
It's a violation of the constitution to kick it out of the end zone.
[/quote]

Now that's funny.

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/anim_lol.gif[/img][IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/anim_lol.gif[/img][IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/anim_lol.gif[/img]

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1289711" timestamp="1349283520"]
[quote author=GoDogs27 link=topic=104082.msg1289682#msg1289682 date=1349282278]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=104082.msg1289679#msg1289679 date=1349282078]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taylor Noel... Am I lying Big Ned faithful??
[/quote]

I question the EVERYTIME part (out of the end zone, I mean).  It is my experience with human endeavors, no matter what they may be, that we humans are not perfect enough to do something EVERYTIME.  Now, that this young man may have the strongest leg in this area, or the whole world for that matter, in arguable; but without even seeing him I dispute the EVERYTIME claim.
[/quote]
Ok mr. literal. I used that term a little too loosely I guess. But against Angleton we kicked it deep most of the game and it was a touchback every time if I remember correctly. Out of 100 deep kicks I would say at least 90 would be touchbacks.. I still like those odds better than the pooch kick. He probably hits a good pooch kick 50-60 % of time.

I agree with goat, Noel has an awesome leg, but doesn't kick it out every time.  Fridays air was heavy and he was only getting it to the 10 in warm ups.  He usually executes the pooch kick so well that it has to be fair caught, so it is a mUCH more high percentage play, ESP with our defense, he just didn't get the hang time he usually does.

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1289689" timestamp="1349282582"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=104082.msg1289687#msg1289687 date=1349282441]
[/quote]
Typical. If you have nothing of substance to contribute to a thread and its off-topic maybe you shouldn't post.
[/quote]Bless your heart!

If the pooch kick is done correctly, it is a good option. I believe the idea is to kick it high enough that the receiving player will almost have to take a fair catch at around the 30 yard line. An end zone kick will now get a touchback to the 25.

The problem is not the idea of the pooch kick but the execution. If you kick it low enough to allow basically a conventional return, the runner gets to start from the 35 instead of the 5. That isn't good. Pop it up to the area of the 25-30 yard line and allow no return and it is great.

If you were watching Friday night at the half before the team came back on the field Noel and a coach came back out and he kicked a few to see what his range was it appeared to me. They were probably considering a change but the heavey air did not allow for a real long kick.

[quote name="summitksd" post="1289744" timestamp="1349285292"]
i always figured if the idea was to kick it high enough for a fair catch,,,,,why not punt it.
[/quote]

Wouldn't that be great if it was allowed for onside kicks?

Punt the football almost straight up and when it comes down, watch the scramble.

Unfortunately..........

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="tvc" post="1289725" timestamp="1349284193"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=104082.msg1289687#msg1289687 date=1349282441]
[/quote]

Now that's funny.

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/anim_lol.gif[/img][IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/anim_lol.gif[/img][IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/anim_lol.gif[/img]
[/quote]

A lot of Nederland didn't think so. ::)

[/quote]

[/quote]

He is correct Noel is one hell of a kicker... I wouldn't say 100% of the time but 80% yes

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83