Hull-Daisetta

Guest incognito123

[quote name="idk" post="1239760" timestamp="1343235395"]
H-D Bobcatt 55 does Charles Land still live their, he was a huge bobcat supporter back in the 90's. And a good guy. You are right the folks that live their are sure proud of were they came from and their football.
[/quote]Yes, he still lives in the area and is a good man. Thanks for the good words.

[quote name="89falcon" post="1239441" timestamp="1343164749"]
[quote author=Grayghost link=topic=101188.msg1239306#msg1239306 date=1343140133]
[quote author=89falcon link=topic=101188.msg1238801#msg1238801 date=1343005146]
I grew up in Southeast Texas in Huffman. With a few exceptions I have lived in East Texas for most of my life. I played little league football through high school and have been involved in football in some capacity for my adult life. As a boy in high school I was aware that there was a community/town somewhere around Liberty named Hull-Daisetta. I never heard or knew much about the town as they were considered insignificant. I was aware that they played football but did not know much beyond that. I always knew that the only significant team in the area was Liberty or to some extent Hardin-Jefferson. I wonder if anyone outside of Hull-Daisetta views Hull-Daisetta as some traditional football power? I know I sure dont.
[/quote]

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would like to offer my thoughts. I grew up in and went to HS school in Shelby County in the 50's. We had all heard of Hull-Daisetta football. Sorry to say we had never heard of Huffman or Liberty.

Jay Arnold put Liberty on the map for me when he played for UT in the 70's. Never hear of Huffman until the early 90'. 

I worked internationally for years and ran across HD grads all over the world.
[/quote]
I think I acknowledged that HD was good back when most of the population was unborn or small children just like Harvard and Yale were National Title contenders. Huffman in the mid 80s was strong program with Greg Moore who at the time was the 7th leading rusher in state history and went on to play LB at TCU. The current issue is who thinks of football power when they think of HD? [b]Most people not in West Hardin, Deweyville, Warren, etc think of an "automatic win" when they think of HD[/b].
[/quote]

I'm from Hull-Daisetta so I am somewhat biased, but I have to think that this line is the most inaccurate, off-the wall, no truth whatsoever, laughable statement you have made on this board! (and I know that there are plenty that fall under this category to pick from when it comes to your statements)

And don't worry, HD won't have any problem finishing above their Dave Campbell's last place prediction. It's not going to be pretty for HD's district this year when they face the Bobcats.

am i the only one tired of here about hull football program and tradition? There 1-a and only got like 1 state ring i think? (think) thats not tradition.. Over the past 2 weeks all ive seen is hull football they are only gonna make playoffs because there in a 4 team district and iola sucks!

[quote name="jwp395" post="1239887" timestamp="1343250858"]
am i the only one tired of here about hull football program and tradition? There 1-a and only got like 1 state ring i think? (think) thats not tradition.. Over the past 2 weeks all ive seen is hull football they are only gonna make playoffs because there in a 4 team district and iola sucks!
[/quote]Window slicker! lol ;D

[/quote]They do this every year! All this talk about how good they are going to be cause HD won state a light year ago! And not to mention they have the best football tradition in the state lol Then the season goes by and they realize they suck again bahaha ;D

[/quote]
Exactly!

I have been there a couple times when West Sabine has traveled there, and the stadium was always packed each time. What I remember most was crawfish at the concession stand. May have just been a one-shot deal that night I was there but I still to this day have never seen it anywhere else. A unique experience, indeed.I can relate to the small-town football thing, because when West Sabine plays Hemphill the entire county shuts down. Kinda like when H-D plays West Hardin, you know? I cannot wait to tee it up Aug. 31st!!!!!!!

[quote name="pinelandflash" post="1239998" timestamp="1343282959"]
I have been there a couple times when West Sabine has traveled there, and the stadium was always packed each time. What I remember most was crawfish at the concession stand. May have just been a one-shot deal that night I was there but I still to this day have never seen it anywhere else. A unique experience, indeed.I can relate to the small-town football thing, because when West Sabine plays Hemphill the entire county shuts down. Kinda like when H-D plays West Hardin, you know? I cannot wait to tee it up Aug. 31st!!!!!!!
[/quote]Great post. I have good memories of playing against West Sabine as a Bobcat, in the mid 90's. WS had some great athletes, like Juan Mason and Shane Moses. It was always a dog fight.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1240028" timestamp="1343310317"]
[quote author=pinelandflash link=topic=100826.msg1239998#msg1239998 date=1343282959]
[/quote]Great post. I have good memories of playing against West Sabine as a Bobcat, in the mid 90's. WS had some great athletes, like Juan Mason and Shane Moses. It was always a dog fight.
[/quote]

Marcus Horn could go too. That dude was a beast! I remember watching film on West Sabine and we realized that if he was getting the ball, he looked up while in his three-point stance in the backfield. If he wasn't getting the ball, his head would stay facing the ground...... It didnt' matter... even when we knew he was getting the ball, he was a hard to stop. And he had like 15 tackles at middle linebacker too. I watched some film of Desmond Lacy from last year, and he's a great player as well. Can't wait to see the numbers he puts up for West Sabine. HD could easily see West Sabine in the playoffs this year!!

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1240029" timestamp="1343310797"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=100826.msg1240028#msg1240028 date=1343310317]
[quote author=pinelandflash link=topic=100826.msg1239998#msg1239998 date=1343282959]
[/quote]

Marcus Horn could go too. That dude was a beast! I remember watching film on West Sabine and we realized that if he was getting the ball, he looked up while in his three-point stance in the backfield. If he wasn't getting the ball, his head would stay facing the ground...... It didnt' matter... even when we knew he was getting the ball, he was a hard to stop. And he had like 15 tackles at middle linebacker too. I watched some film of Desmond Lacy from last year, and he's a great player as well. Can't wait to see the numbers he puts up for West Sabine. HD could easily see West Sabine in the playoffs this year!!
[/quote]Juan Mason was cut like a greek god. Marcus Horn was indeed a beast. We both had multiple tackles on those beasts. Good times. Oh and my bad Shane Moses was a Warren tailback. lol

Went to school with both Juan and Marcus.They were something back in the day! We had four plays back then in the playbook: power, scat, lead and the fullback dive. Only pass play was double reverse throwback pass lol! And we had some hawgs up front too, think we averaged around 300lbs. across the front one of those years. It worked like a charm though........

i was at HD last year for the West Sabine game. Last game of the year, playoffs on the line. I think HD had to win by about 10 or something, but they still had a shot for the 3rd spot. I sat on the HD side. There were maybe 50 fans there, not counting the two groups of scouts there. That's a fact. I have been there about 5 or 6 times over the years. The home stands are pretty big for a small school. I have been there when they were packed, but I have been several times in the last 5 years when they weren't anywhere close. Talk about tradition, the great teams from more than half a century ago, the impressive number of all time wins, the championship, or the good teams from the 80's or 90's. But please don't talk about how HD is above average over the last 10 years, because they aren't. They are barely over .500, with ZERO playoff wins. And please don't talk about packed stands and SRO, because that isn't true either. It's no different right now than any other decent 1a school. The stands are full for homecoming and maybe rivalry games, but mostly not. And when you can barely get 50 fans for a game when the playoffs are on the line, that isn't very good at all. I was there. I saw it.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="pinelandflash" post="1240085" timestamp="1343320067"]
Went to school with both Juan and Marcus.They were something back in the day! We had four plays back then in the playbook: power, scat, lead and the fullback dive. Only pass play was double reverse throwback pass lol! And we had some hawgs up front too, think we averaged around 300lbs. across the front one of those years. It worked like a charm though........
[/quote]

What Class A school are you talking about that averaged 300 pounds across the front??  :o

hull fan support? come on? the best fan support in setx in 1-a is evadale by far thats why they win in every sport over the past 10yrs.. ive been to hull games where the away stands have more fans.. and west hardin and hull are right by each other and its a rivalry some it may look like more fans than normal

[quote name="jwp395" post="1240114" timestamp="1343324439"]
hull fan support? come on? the best fan support in setx in 1-a is evadale by far thats why they win in every sport over the past 10yrs.. ive been to hull games where the away stands have more fans.. and west hardin and hull are right by each other and its a rivalry some it may look like more fans than normal
[/quote]

Evadale fans usually support & travel well with their teams, but last year was a horrible fan base for them.  Not too many people drove out to the West Hardin game from Evadale.  Maybe it was because the Rebels were having an off year.  Who knows.  One thing for sure, it doesn't matter if you have 50 or 500 fans, football is football and it's awesome to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a proud member of the 1979 Class A State Champion, Hull-Daisetta Bobcats!! Still the only team in Liberty county to win a State Championship! And yes, we only have one ring, but how many do you have? You know, there are a lot of folks on here slammin HD. Thats alright, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It helps them feel better about the feeble teams they support. I see very few fans of teams that are staked in deep tradition talking smack, because they know that greatness is something that is earned and can be fleeting. This new coach is rekindling a sense of pride, hard work and sacrifice that will bring the bobcats back to their former greatness!! We are the Bobcats, The Mighty Mighty Bobcats!!!           

[quote name="LoyalBobcat" post="1243073" timestamp="1344473928"]
I am a proud member of the 1979 Class A State Champion, Hull-Daisetta Bobcats!! Still the only team in Liberty county to win a State Championship! And yes, we only have one ring, but how many do you have? You know, there are a lot of folks on here slammin HD. Thats alright, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It helps them feel better about the feeble teams they support. I see very few fans of teams that are staked in deep tradition talking smack, because they know that greatness is something that is earned and can be fleeting. This new coach is rekindling a sense of pride, hard work and sacrifice that will bring the bobcats back to their former greatness!! We are the Bobcats, The Mighty Mighty Bobcats!!!         
[/quote]Well said, I can't wait for kickoff! Go Bobcats!

I'm not going to speak about pride or tradition, because honestly, we live in a what have you done lately world, and H-D has done nothing....

But I will say that Josh Finney is the man to bring out anything and everything that is inside those boys and get them to play above their heads.... Will it be good enough? Who knows.... But he will get more out of them than you expect.... I've seen first hand what he did at Maud with a football doormat and it's a similar situation to H-D....

HD IS NOT GOOD, HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR A WHILE. Prove it on the field and justify the millions of HD threads we see daily is all that we're saying. Seriously, you guys can't compete with ANY team around the area. That's when you break out the "Oh, we're 1-a excuse" Please stop with the nonsense. Only three people care and they're all from HD, go figure.

[quote name="HookEm2013" post="1243252" timestamp="1344526696"]
HD IS NOT GOOD, HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR A WHILE. Prove it on the field and justify the millions of HD threads we see daily is all that we're saying. Seriously, you guys can't compete with ANY team around the area. That's when you break out the "Oh, we're 1-a excuse" Please stop with the nonsense. Only three people care and they're all from HD, go figure.
[/quote]
Well put!

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="HubTx" post="1243250" timestamp="1344526347"]
I'm not going to speak about pride or tradition, because honestly, we live in a what have you done lately world, and H-D has done nothing....

But I will say that Josh Finney is the man to bring out anything and everything that is inside those boys and get them to play above their heads.... Will it be good enough? Who knows.... But he will get more out of them than you expect.... I've seen first hand what he did at Maud with a football doormat and it's a similar situation to H-D....
[/quote]

I agree about Coach Finney, but I would not go so far to say that HD is doormat.

He will definatly get the best out of players and they will play extremely hard for him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder