state of Beaumont's youth baseball...

i love youth ball...go to alot of games just to watch some baseball...WE looks to be in great shape...went to watch an amelia game.., looked to be hurting some  ...so i headed out to that big field over by amelia---[b]whoa[/b], major surprise...no umps, no concessions stand, no pa or people even in the pressbox..the bathrooms were locked and the teams were (according to what i overheard) were using the own practice balls for game balls???  Is that the norm for those older kids? did i just hit it on a really bad night?  Went out to sour lake..they had it going on right for the older kids..but that beaumont field..that was kinda sad

before i get pounded, let me say i have both coached and umped..unable to ump anymore due to injury and miss it.....[b]am not pointing the finger[/b]..just wondering

If the concession stand and bathrooms were locked and no umps, it was probably a scrimmage or a team using the field not part of that league.

The problem with that league, as is the case with all leagues, there are a dedicated few who make things run.  I know the past 5 years, that league has had a re-birth to its days of the late 80's early 90's, thanks to a group of parents who worked hard to get it back to the good ole days.

[quote name="MoFo" post="1231404" timestamp="1340118279"]
My oldest played out there this year and we really enjoyed it. A little more laid back than little league. It was a nice change for us and I think helped prepare him for HS ball more.
[/quote]  i think it is good to get those 2 years working at 60-90.  That to me, was the most important thing.  Throwing off a 60 ft mound and getting the timing as a batter from that distance.  Wins and losses out there were not quite as important as they were in LL.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1231427" timestamp="1340122446"]
hopefully it was a  makeup, ...was a real game.  what i meant by no umps --they were calling from behind the mound...locked up bathrooms almost killed me

i agree, its a big jump for the field sizes, but i think it good for the kids...
[/quote]  Don't drink so many of those cold Cheladas before the game and you might be able to hold it till the game is over.      ;D

A lot of the umpire issues come from guys that have said "enough" they get beat up fpr their calls all through little league (because EVERY loss is the umpire's fault) where you have to have umps, and then to get to a league that does not force it, I mean who is going to step up??? Plus no Philly Cheese steak or burger WHAT is the world coming to?

Many years back a friend of mine was head of umps in San Antonio, he started a yellow card program like soccer. If a fan recieved 2 yellow cards in a season before they could come to another game as a fan they had to ump a game. Believe it or not he said it actually got him a few more parents that found they really enjoyed umping, not to mention got the stands a lot calmer.

[quote name="MoFo" post="1231435" timestamp="1340124461"]
A lot of the umpire issues come from guys that have said "enough" they get beat up fpr their calls all through little league (because EVERY loss is the umpire's fault) where you have to have umps, and then to get to a league that does not force it, I mean who is going to step up??? Plus no Philly Cheese steak or burger WHAT is the world coming to?

Many years back a friend of mine was head of umps in San Antonio, he started a yellow card program like soccer. If a fan recieved 2 yellow cards in a season before they could come to another game as a fan they had to ump a game. Believe it or not he said it actually got him a few more parents that found they really enjoyed umping, not to mention got the stands a lot calmer.
[/quote]
very intreresting concept

[quote name="knucklehead" post="1231424" timestamp="1340121879"]
Yea, transitioning from 46 to 60 can be as slipery as the causeway boat launch!  :)
[/quote]
PONY moves up in transitional stages, makes it easier.

I grew up LL and my son did his first 3 years in LL but he is now on his 2nd year in PONY. I think PONY is way better only thing is I think they have the age groups all wrong. LL starts kids pitch at 8 and Pony at 9, if PONY would start at 8 then hands down a better choice.

I will always be a grown up LLer though.

[quote name="coachdaddy" post="1231516" timestamp="1340139346"]
[quote author=MoFo link=topic=100601.msg1231435#msg1231435 date=1340124461]

[/quote]
very intreresting concept
[/quote]

my past experience...one of the loudest in the stands were some grandmothers...I like the yellow card..give granny the mask!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder