UIL Rules Question

Guest incognito123

Guest incognito123
What are the rules from the UIL regarding mandatory offseason workouts?  I know the UIL regulates how many you can have and when you can start.  Anyone got the info?

[quote name="incognito123" post="1227030" timestamp="1338337357"]
What are the rules from the UIL regarding mandatory offseason workouts?  I know the UIL regulates how many you can have and when you can start.  Anyone got the info?
[/quote]

Are you talking about summer workouts or the beginning of two-a-days?

Guest incognito123
i'm talking about summer workouts.  Is a coach legally able to say there are a set amount of workouts a kid must attend during the summer in order to be able to play in the fall.  If so, are coaches allowed to be leading the workouts?

[quote name="incognito123" post="1227064" timestamp="1338348181"]
i'm talking about summer workouts.  Is a coach legally able to say there are a set amount of workouts a kid must attend during the summer in order to be able to play in the fall.  If so, are coaches allowed to be leading the workouts?
[/quote]

No and No.

Summer Strength and Conditioning Programs ~
School coaches may conduct strength and conditioning programs for students in grades 7-12 from their attendance zone for a total of six weeks under the following conditions:
Limitations. Sessions may be conducted from the first day of summer vacation until the second Monday in August. A session shall be no more than two consecutive hours per day, Monday through Thursday only, and a student shall attendno more than one session of supervised instruction per day for a total of six weeks.

Activities Allowed. The sessions shall include only strength and conditioning instruction and exercises. No specific sports skills shall be taught and no specific sports equipment, such as balls, dummies, sleds, contact equipment, etc., shall be
used. School shorts, shirts and shoes may be provided by the school (local school option).

Attendance. Attendance in a maximum of one session per day shall be voluntary and not required in order to try out for or participate in any UIL activity. Attendance records shall be kept, however, students shall not be required or allowed to make up missed days or workouts.

Guest incognito123
Very interesting.  So they can be held, can be coach led, must be only strength and conditioning, and cannot exclude an athlete from participation in the fall if they don't attend.

Although, the coach doesn't have to play those athletes that do miss, that's his decision. 

Thanks for the information Grad....you are very wise!

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1227246" timestamp="1338398824"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=100283.msg1227236#msg1227236 date=1338397027]
There is a difference from what is "legal" and what is "expected".
[/quote]What are you talking about? Hell Tennis has expectations! lol  ::)
[/quote]

Coaches can not legally [b]require[/b] a player to participate in summer workouts, but you can bet your sweet bippy that they [b]expect[/b] them to be there and WILL hold them accountable for not being there.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="GCMPats" post="1227258" timestamp="1338400450"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=100283.msg1227246#msg1227246 date=1338398824]
[/quote]

Coaches can not legally [b]require[/b] a player to participate in summer workouts, but you can bet your sweet bippy that they [b]expect[/b] them to be there and WILL hold them accountable for not being there.
[/quote]

Very true. I know that is the way it is where my son played.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1227258" timestamp="1338400450"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=100283.msg1227246#msg1227246 date=1338398824]
[/quote]

[/quote][quote author=anewidentity link=topic=100283.msg1227073#msg1227073 date=1338352375]
Very interesting.  So they can be held, can be coach led, must be only strength and conditioning, and cannot exclude an athlete from participation in the fall if they don't attend.

Although, the coach doesn't have to play those athletes that do miss, that's his decision. 

Thanks for the information Grad....you are very wise!
[/quote]

Well, I certainly see the room for, for lack of a better word, abuse in these rules and the mandatory, non mandatory workouts.  But as a coach, who are you more likely to place higher on the depth chart, someone you have witnessed working during the summer in front of your eyes or someone whose work during the same period that you are unsure about?

Of course, most coaches have ways seeing pretty early in preseason workouts who has been working and who has not.  For example Coach Thompson over at WO-S says that the now infamous Mustang Mile is to find out who has been staying in shape during the summer and who had been "sitting on the couch, eating moonpies and drinking yoohoos."

Guest incognito123
[quote name="dayton" post="1227088" timestamp="1338380043"]
I like how the OP changed their handle to start asking this question....
[/quote]

Didn't change my handle to ask this question.  I was playing around with the account settings and just discovered I had that option.  I was trying it out and just happened to ask this question after I changed. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124