Would this be ironic?

So you are telling me that each and every kid (except the Johnson kid) was born, raised and reared in Sour Lake, Texas? Or even Nome, or China? And once again there is NOTHIING wrong if its not, I am just asking...You guys want to give Yates HS program a hard time for having kids that transfer there (without coercion), but if you guys look at this objectively, it happens in most places where there are good basketball programs. Its not accident that Silsbee got a kid from out of town..It speaks for their program, and its nothing wrong with that.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1220402" timestamp="1336666125"]
So you are telling me that each and every kid (except the Johnson kid) was born, raised and reared in Sour Lake, Texas? Or even Nome, or China? And once again there is NOTHIING wrong if its not, I am just asking...You guys want to give Yates HS program a hard time for having kids that transfer there (without coercion), but if you guys look at this objectively, it happens in most places where there are good basketball programs. Its not accident that Silsbee got a kid from out of town..It speaks for their program, and its nothing wrong with that.
[/quote]
It happens in a lot of places.  The frequency and volume are what troubles many.  The Kimball incident was not coincidental and you won't convince a lot of people that these types of situations  don't take place at Yates as well.

[/quote]

Wow - now you have to be living in the district at the time of birth????? That deserves a big - Come on man!

[quote name="Team Game" post="1220425" timestamp="1336669319"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=99849.msg1220402#msg1220402 date=1336666125]
[/quote]

Wow - now you have to be living in the district at the time of birth????? That deserves a big - Come on man!
[/quote]

It's what you do when everything else has failed.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1220437" timestamp="1336670566"]
You get my point though....The better your program is, the more likely a kid will just show up at your school.  Be honest with yourselves...Its not just at Yates.
[/quote]

Believe what you wish, Dickie.  If the average "show up" rate at a group of schools is, as an example, 5 and one particular school continually maintains a "show up" rate of three or four times that, then something is likely "unique" about that one.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1220502" timestamp="1336676502"]
Larger city nash... ::) ::)...you know better than that...If HJ were in a larger place, the numbers would be very similar.
[/quote]

No they would not.  HJ does not actively recruit transfers via AAU coaching

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1220514" timestamp="1336677474"]
Neither does Yates...But they could say you guys stole a kid from Central, although that would not be the truth either. He just showed up...right?
[/quote]

So Mr. Wise does not coach AAU ball?  I beg to differ.  FYI- The Central kid NEVER had a SINGLE word of conversation with anyone from the HJ staff prior to attending the school.  Furthermore, you are trying in vain to make a case out of 1 kid over a 6 or 7 year period vs substantial numbers of kids during the same time frame.

* 2010-11 Academically Unaceptable Rating
* 2010 HS TAKS Math Scores 31%
* 1 0f 10 Senior's met College entrance exam standards
* enrollment has dropped 10% in last 2 years.
* Crime percentages in the area surrounding the school is at an all time high

I Googled a certain schools name / College Readiness: out of the top 5 listings 3 were sports related, 1  dealing w/crime and 1 educational. 

HJISD had open enrollment last year and we received approximately 60 transfers and get 1 starter in BB. Those numbers do not substantiate an active recruiting process.

Dickie, you said one thing with merit throughout this conversation, if your program is worthy people will come.  I assure you we do not rely on our Basketball program to boost our ADA.  It would be safe to say that HJISD has more to offer than a potential State Basketball Championship. 

Comparing Yates basketball program to HJ's is not apples to apple, not even close. 

[quote name="lamar73!" post="1220547" timestamp="1336680481"]
* 2010-11 Academically Unaceptable Rating
* 2010 HS TAKS Math Scores 31%
* 1 0f 10 Senior's met College entrance exam standards
* enrollment has dropped 10% in last 2 years.
* Crime percentages in the area surrounding the school is at an all time high

I Googled a certain schools name / College Readiness: out of the top 5 listings 3 were sports related, 1  dealing w/crime and 1 educational. 

HJISD had open enrollment last year and we received approximately 60 transfers and get 1 starter in BB. Those numbers do not substantiate an active recruiting process.

Dickie, you said one thing with merit throughout this conversation, if your program is worthy people will come.  I assure you we do not rely on our Basketball program to boost our ADA.  It would be safe to say that HJISD has more to offer than a potential State Basketball Championship. 

Comparing Yates basketball program to HJ's is not apples to apple, not even close. 

[/quote]
OK that is fine, but what about in Beaumont ISD? The kid in question came from there...Are you saying that he couldnt get a quality education at Westbrook or Ozen?

[quote name="lamar73!" post="1220569" timestamp="1336682798"]
  Numbers (percentages) don't lie, look them up them for yourself and then answer your own question.
[/quote]
Actually they can be very misleading...BISD has been a Recognized District....So, again...WHY HJISD?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1220576" timestamp="1336684097"]
[quote author=lamar73! link=topic=99849.msg1220569#msg1220569 date=1336682798]
  Numbers (percentages) don't lie, look them up them for yourself and then answer your own question.
[/quote]
Actually they can be very misleading...BISD has been a Recognized District....So, again...WHY HJISD?
[/quote]

I have a couple of questions for you, Dicky.

1.  Are you saying that he should have gone to Westbrook or Ozen because that is what YOU think is right?

2.  If you are so troubled about this, are you ready to go on this  board and lecture the Dove about his two kids transferring to Ozen?  My guess is that their drive to school is longer than Johnsons.

In either case, it looks pretty silly to try to justify multiple transfers every year at one school by comparing them to one in seven years at another.

Once again, you have missed it...I am saying that it HAPPENS here in SE Texas, just as you guys say it happens so frequently in Houston, specifically at Yates.  Houston has more KIDS...This is why it seems like its happening on such a larger scale..Yates had TWO transfers last year, and they both played on the JV team....They had another come in the year before, and he came a mid year, also playing 9th grade ball....Thats 3 in a two year span in a city with millions of people...Sour lake has had one third as many in that time frame...I would say its proportionate...Wouldn't you?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1220622" timestamp="1336691131"]
Once again, you have missed it...I am saying that it HAPPENS here in SE Texas, just as you guys say it happens so frequently in Houston, specifically at Yates.  Houston has more KIDS...This is why it seems like its happening on such a larger scale..Yates had TWO transfers last year, and they both played on the JV team....They had another come in the year before, and he came a mid year, also playing 9th grade ball....Thats 3 in a two year span in a city with millions of people...Sour lake has had one third as many in that time frame...I would say its proportionate...Wouldn't you?
[/quote]

Two things:  I dont believe the numbers you list for yates.  I also think it is a little foolish to compare the last two years when the number is the same for HJ in the last 7.  Please dont try to tell me that it is the same for Yates.

[/quote]

Well, if you are speaking of the young man from Irving McArthur who had to play JV for Silsbee this season, he had no choice but to come to Silsbee. His mother sent him on a bus to live with his grandmother who lives in Silsbee. The young man had no place to go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami