Random Drug Testing in extra curricular activities

Random Drug Testing in extra curricular activities  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Random Drug Testing in extra curricular activities

• For
    • Against

I have been given the topic for a persuasion paper at my high school. My topic is pick a side for or against random drug testing in extra curricular activities. First i am a senior, and have been involved in 5 different sports and many other organzations at my school. Immediately i felt very strongly for the decision to have random drug testing and still do. Today while researching the topic to of some people that are against the test, I found very surprising facts. First, I did not realize the amount of people on the internet against the test. Most people say it is a violation of privacy, and goes against the 4th amendment of unreasonable search and seizures. However, I believe becasue the these activities are by choice, that people lose certain freedoms in order to be involved in such prestigous activities or organizations. One other reason that I am for the test, is that it makes these particular students buckle down and follow rules. I have many other reasons for the test, but I dont want to write a long boring essay as I am probably already getting out of control. The only reasonable fact against that I have come across against the test, is that the test may be inaccurate; destroying a students career for innoncent actions. My request is this, I would love to have everyones opinion on this issue. It would be beneficial to my paper and may surprise some people in this area. Finally, if I could have an adminstrator post this topic on all boards or something, that way all people could read and take this poll.

Guest BobcatBeliever

In general, it's a good thing. However, I've seen times where it isn't quite so "random" and that isn't right. Also, it does need to be a uniform policy with all districts in order to be effective and there needs to be a "set in stone" set of consequences for those in violation and followed through with.

The problem that I see is that for whatever reason (cost, time, etc..) most schools don't test enough kids to really make a dent. The only positive is that kids perceive that they might get caught and for some, that's enough to quit. The negative is that not enough kids get tested. Another problem that I see is that a kid could be on a prescription and fail every time he/she gets tested and nobody really says anything because of his/her built-in excuse of the perscription.

Just my two cents, but these are things that I've seen personally.

if you are in these activities, sign papers saying you will agree to a drug test and know the consequences, and then are dumb enough to get caught, then the system did what it was supposed to do...get rid of the trash. im for it but i agree with what someone else said in that sometimes it seems not so random, almost like they chose a student in particular.

i think they shoudln't do random drug testing, i think they should drug test EVERYONE, at my school everyone participating in school sports were drug tested, anyone that wanted to park on campus was drug tested, then everyone else that was left was randomly drug tested and i think thats the way it should be, it will keep everyone safer and levels the playing field somewhat.

I don't mind the idea of drug testing but it needs to be for everyone in extra curricular activity if it is implimented and not single out athletes. If a volleyball player has to take the test by school rules, then a member of the debate team should also.

I support the random testing of extracurricular participants and those who drive to school. After seeing it in place for several years I see it doing far more good than any perceived harm. If nothing else, it gives students an "out" when offered or encouraged to do drugs. I have had students tell me that they have told those "encouragers" that they can't take a chance with the risk of random testing. If one student is protected by the testing, it is well worth any money, time, and inconvenience.

I support drug testing for any student in any extracurricular activity or that drives to school. The flaw I've noticed is that most druggies aren't very involved in school activities. For those who are more involved, drinking is a bigger problem than drugs.

Guest OFballer

I am against the school district drug testing students. Once again you are asking the school system to be the "parent". The school should be a place for an education, and should not be asked to do the parents job. Too much responsibility has been placed on school districts to be the police, parent, and disciplinarian. Those funds should be used for drug education and prevention programs or for other educational needs. If you fear your child is using drugs, then you test them.

I am against the school district drug testing students. Once again you are asking the school system to be the "parent". The school should be a place for an education' date=' and should not be asked to do the parents job. Too much responsibility has been placed on school districts to be the police, parent, and disciplinarian. Those funds should be used for drug education and prevention programs or for other educational needs. If you fear your child is using drugs, then you test them.[/quote']

You sound like you are part of the school system!

Dont forget who pays your wages. And if you dont know. Its the parents. And that may be what they want part of that money to go against.

I don't mind the idea of drug testing but it needs to be for everyone in extra curricular activity if it is implimented and not single out athletes. If a volleyball player has to take the test by school rules' date=' then a member of the debate team should also.[/quote']

Yeah, thats Ned's policy they have had for a couple of years now.

Guest OFballer

"You sound like you are part of the school system!

Dont forget who pays your wages. And if you dont know. Its the parents. And that may be what they want part of that money to go against"

No, I have two kids in the public school system and it is MY job to police my children.

AMEN.................Just yesterday, a young teenager plowed into my neighbor's brick mailbox from driving too fast around a curve. It looked like someone threw a hand grenade at the box, bricks were scattered all over the driveway and the car had MAJOR damage. When the Mother of the teenager arrived, she was VERY MAD because the cops were there and a wrecker was at the end of the street waiting. Instead of apologizing to the owner of the damaged mailbox (who was woke up suddenly and just got off graveyard a shift) all she did was complain to the cop about the wrecker at the end of the road and to the mailbox owner about the cops being there. she told my neighbor that she was going to pay for the mailbox and for him not to call her insurance company. When the cop gave him a copy of her insurance she ask my neighbor to give it to her, then she got snappy and said, I TOLD YOU THAT I WAS GOING TO PAY FOR IT !!!!!!!!! She said, It can't be more than $100 anyway !

Boy, is she in for a $$$$$$$$$$ surprise !

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa