Hardin County Boys Basketball Success is Nothing New (Beaumont Enterprise)

From the article...  ::)

All three schools (Silsbee, HJ, Kountze) also benefit from a single-sport athletic period, where individual sports are allowed to practice in their respective athletic periods.

At certain area schools, such as East Chambers and Hamshire-Fannett, all sports must take part in a weight-lifting and conditioning program during athletic periods.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Hardin-County-boys-basketball-success-nothing-new-3376929.php#ixzz1nzGvxtT1

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1190518" timestamp="1330715608"]
EC is HIGHLY sucessfull at basketball, as well as football.  ::)
[/quote]

true, but not to the level of those programs in BBall.  Still not sure why they singled out EC.  shoulda singled out HF ;).  worth noting, how much more successful would EC be at basketball if they had a basketball period rather than universal offseason?

Guest ECBucFan
EC is pretty much equivelent to Silsbee.

How much more successful at BB? Maybe no difference, it's unknown. But why not ask "at what expense to football sucess?" It's pretty much a given it would be detrimental to some degree. EC does it right, and wins at both!  8)

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1190544" timestamp="1330717008"]
[b]EC is pretty much equivelent to Silsbee[/b].

How much more successful at BB? Maybe no difference, it's unknown. But why not ask "at what expense to football sucess?" It's pretty much a given it would be detrimental to some degree. EC does it right, and wins at both!  8)
[/quote]

that's a pretty big stretch right there in basketball... how many regional and state appearances does silsbee have over the past 7 or 8 years compared to EC?  Again, not saying EC is bad, because they have had a solid basketball program, but not to the level of silsbee, at least recently.  is for doing it right, i'd honestly rather be great at one and pretty good at one, than good at both.

[quote author=LUcardiac link=topic=96985.msg1190530#msg1190530 date=1330716076]
Didn't Joe play for Beaumont little dribblers?  ;)
[/quote

Not a 100% certain but I think he play in Beaumont until his 5th grade yr. and played 6,7 & 8th in Twin County.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="bullets13" post="1190550" timestamp="1330717366"]

that's a pretty big stretch right there in basketball... how many regional and state appearances does silsbee have over the past 7 or 8 years compared to EC?  [/quote]

Review the last 15-20 years. EC in BB State Championship in '95, and in Regionals many times. Last year EC won district in both FB (beating Newton & Anahuac) and BB (beating Kountze & Anahuac), and went 3 deep in FB. No stretch AT ALL.

like i said, the last 7 or 8 years, it's a huge stretch to compare EC to Silsbee in basketball.  i'm pretty sure universal offseason wasn't an issue 17 years ago.  that being said, i agree that EC has solid basketball and football programs.  but i bet BOTH sports would be better if they had sport-specific offseason programs, rather than a universal weight-lifting program instead.  you might have a school that's a threat to make state in both sports most years, rather than a team that routinely is out after 2 rounds, 3 at most.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1190596" timestamp="1330720301"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=96985.msg1190550#msg1190550 date=1330717366]

that's a pretty big stretch right there in basketball... how many regional and state appearances does silsbee have over the past 7 or 8 years compared to EC?  [/quote]

Review the last 15-20 years. EC in BB State Championship in '95, and in Regionals many times. Last year EC won district in both FB (beating Newton & Anahuac) and BB (beating Kountze & Anahuac), and went 3 deep in FB. No stretch AT ALL.
[/quote]

East Chambers is a very strong school in sports! Should have mention East Chambers a little better in the article.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder