Beaumont Enterprise Sports

Maybe it's just me, but the Beaumont Enterprise Sports has really gone downhill over the past few years.  For the most part, the sports coverage is nothing but high School sports.  Don't get me wrong, HS sports is a great thing and local teams and players deserve to be featured..  But day after day coverage, sometimes 2-3 pages of nothing but HS sports articles, tends to get a little old.  These new writers they have...........I just don't know.  They put these high school players on really tall pedestals.  Seems like there would be more pro football, college college and pro baseball coverage.  As much as I dislike the Port Arthur News and Bob West's daily (or so it seems) articles on Little Joe Washington, Jamaal Charles, or Chris Stroud, plus his old archieved articles from 25 years ago, it seems to have a slightly better balance in its sports section than the current Beaumont Enterprise.

Not trying to stir anything up; just wondering if anyone else shares the same impression as me.

Any local media person (paper, radio, TV) will tell you that here in Southeast Texas, local high school sports sells much better than state or national sports.

BTW, they do plenty on Lamar every day but it is just one school compared to the vast amount of high schools in the area. Therefore more stories about high school teams and players.

No newspaper is like it used to be now with internet and cable tv.

They do cover alot of high school sports but they miss out on some high school athletes.  We have a gymnast in the area who has competed level 9 for to years and has gone to Westerns competition and has metaled those two times.  Where was the Beaumont papers?  The coach called for some pub. for the girl and none of the area television or papers covered even when the coach was begging for someone to cover.  This is a sad state of affaires for this area. The gymnast is a level 10 now and completed her first meet this past weekend and finished first, even beating another girl getting a full ride to a college.

Look, I can't say I haven't had issues with the Enterprise.  You don't have to dig to far into the archives to discover what those were.

But I could never say that one of them is that their skewing their coverage toward the local high schools is one of them.  The existence of this very message board is evidence of this area's pretty keen interest in high school sports.  That they devote one member full time to Lamar sports is pretty admirable.

Ewert, I do wish some of the sports that do not get as much attention would be covered.  But remember we are talking about a sports news staff of 3 which kind of limits them and remember they gotta cover what sells the papers or gets views online.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics