Nederland @ Central Feb 3: Predictions

asary

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="rc2182" post="1170085" timestamp="1328155916"]
Ozen/Central is as close to playoff bb as it gets, i can say that with knowledge of playoff bb, have been going to watch the state tournament for the last 12 yrs.
[/quote]
NO WAY...Central/Ozen in these past two years have looked like JV games at best...Yes, its a neighborhood rivalry, but it has completely lost its luster of 10-12 years ago...And even then, the series was so one sided to where there was never a question as who the winner would be (Ozen)...That was no fun! Ozen won this game for like 11 years in a row! Every tournament, every district ball game, EVERYTIME....Now, I guess its fun to watch "rivals" compete when Ozen and Central face each other, but it is NOTHING like the HJ/Silsbee games...

Not comparing it to HJ/Silsbee rivalry ,however the atmosphere is a playoff type atmosphere regardless of records ,I agree Ozen dominated past cross town rivalry but it does not stop the fans from attending and faithfully trying to cheer their team to a victory.

[quote name="rc2182" post="1170128" timestamp="1328179882"]
Not comparing it to HJ/Silsbee rivalry ,however the atmosphere is a playoff type atmosphere regardless of records ,I agree Ozen dominated past cross town rivalry but it does not stop the fans from attending and faithfully trying to cheer their team to a victory.
[/quote]True, Every game was a playoff atmosphere except that 8:00 am first game this year.  Only about 10 or 15 total people attended.

I would say that Ozen's talent (for their standards have declined). Central's talent have increased or is slightly above average (for our standards).  4 years ago was our first time ever having a starting Freshmen (K. Smith), now a 4 year starter.  This year, we have 3 starting freshmen who I expect to follow the same path.  And with our freshmen team being good now, I think that there is major talent here.  Central's talent is up a tad....  Ozen's is down a tad.  But coaching can be better on both ends, IMO.

[quote name="rc2182" post="1170165" timestamp="1328190808"]
I think Ozens JV team looks promising ,Dove's boys would be starting on the varsity, both underclassmen and several other kids on the jv look good also just not enough room on varsity right now.
[/quote]I've been hearing good things about Ozen's JV just like Central's Freshmen team.  I have yet to see either one of them.  I will make that a must see before season's end.

The scary thing is that talent will only get you so far. It comes a point and time when playing smart is part of the equation. Now, if the talent and playing smart is fused together, you have a winning combination. Too many times I see athletic teams gambling on defense too much. No patience, making silly fouls and *not thinking on their feet.*

I've seen it too many times where teams like Nederland ( and especially HJ) with far lesser talent destroy & break down so-called better teams

[quote name="rc2182" post="1170064" timestamp="1328154243"]
IT STOPS AT CENTRAL ,AND YES NEDERLAND WILL LOSE BOTH GAMES.
[/quote]

I offered this once but was politely declined.  I am willing to bet you $250 that nederland does not lose to both Central and Ozen in the second round.  How about it?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1170299" timestamp="1328195597"]
[quote author=rc2182 link=topic=95269.msg1170289#msg1170289 date=1328195449]
True Dove, I feel all truth will be told within the next couple of weeks ,based on the adjustments made the second time you face a team.
[/quote]I agree.
[/quote]
From what I understand, the Central and Ozen coaches don't make the necessary adjustments. That is just what I have picked up from others on this board. Central collapsed in the last meeting against Ned, but I thought Ozen played good enough to win the game. Nederland just made more plays when it was crunch time. I did not see anything wrong with Ozen's philosophy in that 1st meeting. U?

[quote name="pete092775" post="1170503" timestamp="1328206764"]
RC DONT WORRY I BET THEM CENTRAL AND OZEN COACHS HAVE BEEN REVIEWING THE TAPES LET NEDERLAND SHOW UP AT CENTRAL WITH THAT SAME OLE GAME PLAN. THEY MIGHT WALK IN HAPPY BUT LEAVE CRYING. :'(
[/quote] I think its more about those players having the discipline within the game, and playing within their skills to beat Nederland. ;)

[quote name="pete092775" post="1170503" timestamp="1328206764"]
RC DONT WORRY I BET THEM CENTRAL AND OZEN COACHS HAVE BEEN REVIEWING THE TAPES LET NEDERLAND SHOW UP AT CENTRAL WITH THAT SAME OLE GAME PLAN. THEY MIGHT WALK IN HAPPY BUT LEAVE CRYING. :'(
[/quote]

Then what you are saying is that Central and Ozen are "smart" enough to make adjustments but Nederland isn't.  Recent results suggest that Mr. English is better than most at making adjustments.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami