Media

no-look

I am glad we are blessed with 3 main local papers (Beaumont Enterprise, Port Arthur News, Orange Leader) along with a few weekly papers (Silsbee Bee, Hardin County News, Mid County News, etc.) that a lot of the local games get some kind of coverage. Problem is, the newspaper business has had to cut back on personnel. BE has only 3 reporters doing games, PA News and Orange Leader just 1 each. (on occasion 2). So, just a few select games on a given night can be covered. I think they are doing as good as can be expected with being so short handed in staff.

That's where we step in as for getting scores. I know I have personally been thanked by our local media (both print, TV and radio) to what we provide here at SETXsports. Makes their job much easier.

As I have seen, the Beaumont paper does a very good job of covering sports and basketball included.  The lufkin daily news is one of the worst I have ever seen.  They cover FOOTBAll, of course, and other teams in the area that they feel warrant coverage.  The best Newspaper for sports at the high school level I have ever known was the Tyler Morning telegraph.  They would have articles about traditions and programs.  Just like I went to Troup HS and they had tradition, every year the paper came to school before season and would interview coach and players and town people, it would be a huge article in the paper.  They did a great job the entire year.  To show you two sides.
The Lufkin paper, will have a small area that with about 100 words or less(no pictures, quotes from coaches or players, save Lufkin at times and maybe once a year a picture on the schools other than Lufkin), listing all of the scores from the night before on a heading very small to the bottom or side saying AREA SCORES, giving each team about 100 words.  All together, you have HS area ball in about 500-1000 words.
The Tyler Paper, dedicated 500-1000 words to most teams that were having a successful season.  This included a picture and quotes.  All Big Schools in the area were covered very well and some small schools.  On the second page, they basically had what the Lufkin paper had, all scores from the previous night just in a smaller format.
I dont know if this was resources of what, but there was a very noticable difference.  They closest place after I graduated to get a Tyler paper was a 25 minute drive, and I would drive everyday to get a paper.
Just a Thought, but you have Lufkin (5A), and about 4 (3A's around Lufkin with some other smaller schools.  This year, Huntington got a new coach and last years Huntington coach took the position at Central, which is another school in the LUfkin area.  It would have been very nice to see about 500-1000 words, (half-Page) of these programs and coaches(with pictures) moving to their new schools.  With some quotes from the coaches and the players. 
There is no telling how many articles I have from my playing days, and these players/coaches will never get that opportunity to have that. 

I have no problem with them covering football. They should because there are not that many games and each week is an important game......They cant cover every basketball game because there are so many......but I do think they should cover local district games....Even if they are short handed, get some contacs and be aggressive and go after them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont