Local Area Basketball Center Needed?

Hey, they already have the "Butch" for football, they can just add a gymnasium.
That's how they have it in Fort Bend County. I live in Fort Bend County.  There are two athletic complexes for the 10 teams to play their games including a football field and a gymnasium, and the newest one also includes a natorium (sp?).
I don't know why they didn't build a gymnasium at the Butch. 

Central's gym is definitely too small.  West Brook and Ozen's gyms are ok.
But, when you have the boys and girls teams playing each other, even Ozen's gym gets crowded.
Especially last year with both girls teams being ranked in the top 10 and this year with Ozen's girls being Ranked #1.  Either way, Ozen vs Central will always have a packed house, and when either team plays West Brook.
Also, HJ, Silsbee, Kountze, and some of the other teams are normally ranked and if not, just because of the rivalry, the fans will come out to see the game.

That's a good idea Bluedove

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1161403" timestamp="1326812130"]
Let me guess...  this wouldn't work because it wouldn't be the same 'atmosphere'.  ::) ::)
[/quote]

BMTSoulja1, in my opinion, you are correct, that would be the #1 reason not to do so.
However, it could also be used for playoff games, and playoff warmup/tune up games, etc.

[quote name="atb63" post="1161404" timestamp="1326812250"]
Hey, they already have the "Butch" for football, they can just add a gymnasium.
That's how they have it in Fort Bend County. I live in Fort Bend County.  There are two athletic complexes for the 10 teams to play their games including a football field and a gymnasium, and the newest one also includes a natorium (sp?).
I don't know why they didn't build a gymnasium at the Butch. 

Central's gym is definitely too small.  West Brook and Ozen's gyms are ok.
But, when you have the boys and girls teams playing each other, even Ozen's gym gets crowded.
Especially last year with both girls teams being ranked in the top 10 and this year with Ozen's girls being Ranked #1.  Either way, Ozen vs Central will always have a packed house, and when either team plays West Brook.
Also, HJ, Silsbee, Kountze, and some of the other teams are normally ranked and if not, just because of the rivalry, the fans will come out to see the game.

That's a good idea Bluedove
[/quote]I completely agree!

[quote name="atb63" post="1161407" timestamp="1326812533"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=94358.msg1161403#msg1161403 date=1326812130]
Let me guess...  this wouldn't work because it wouldn't be the same 'atmosphere'.  ::) ::)
[/quote]

BMTSoulja1, in my opinion, you are correct, that would be the #1 reason not to do so.
However, it could also be used for playoff games, and playoff warmup/tune up games, etc.
[/quote]Yes, I agree with this as well.  The way I see it, it there is adequate parking, abundance of seats, and great broadcast area (with AAW in mind  ;) ), this is a good idea.  The reason I brought this up is because the same thing was mentioned for a big rivalry game in Football.  Even though you had all of these pluses, some stated that it would not be a good idea because of 'atmosphere'.  Good parking means more people.  More people mean more butts inthe seats.  More butts in the seats mean a hostile environment... 'great atmosphere'.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1161417" timestamp="1326813529"]
[quote author=atb63 link=topic=94358.msg1161407#msg1161407 date=1326812533]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=94358.msg1161403#msg1161403 date=1326812130]
[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, I agree with this as well.  The way I see it, it there is adequate parking, abundance of seats, and great broadcast area (with AAW in mind  ;) ), this is a good idea.  The reason I brought this up is because the same thing was mentioned for a big rivalry game in Football.  Even though you had all of these pluses, some stated that it would not be a good idea because of 'atmosphere'.  Good parking means more people.  More people mean more butts inthe seats.  More butts in the seats mean a hostile environment... 'great atmosphere'.
[/quote]

Yeah BMTSoulja1, AND more butts in the seats also means more money for the schools.
In my opinion, the schools miss out on a lot of money because many fans, not your die hards, don't want to have to try to leave work early, fight the crowds and stand in line and hope to get in.  They just say, oh well, I'll catch the highlights on the news.

I also agree, more fans/butts in the seats, creates a hostile environment and a great atmosphere.

[quote name="atb63" post="1161424" timestamp="1326814502"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=94358.msg1161417#msg1161417 date=1326813529]
[quote author=atb63 link=topic=94358.msg1161407#msg1161407 date=1326812533]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah BMTSoulja1, AND more butts in the seats also means more money for the schools.
In my opinion, the schools miss out on a lot of money because many fans, not your die hards, don't want to have to try to leave work early, fight the crowds and stand in line and hope to get in.  They just say, oh well, I'll catch the highlights on the news.

I also agree, more fans/butts in the seats, creates a hostile environment and a great atmosphere.
[/quote] 8) 8)  A big rivalry game like an E-C vs. Kountze, Silsbee vs. H-J, Ozen vs. Central, or even Nederland vs. PN-G would reap nothing from benefits from this.  But Just like Stevenash stated, who would be willing to fork over the dough to build this facility?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1161419" timestamp="1326813700"]
Anybody give any consideration to how this would be paid for?  Our country has a VERY severe problem right now buying stuff before paying for them and then borrowing to pay.
[/quote]Nash, you are a dying breed. We've been doing this for years, so why stop now? ;D Plus its for the kids in the community to enjoy while their parents figure out a way to pay for it.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1161439" timestamp="1326815921"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=94358.msg1161419#msg1161419 date=1326813700]
Anybody give any consideration to how this would be paid for?  Our country has a VERY severe problem right now buying stuff before paying for them and then borrowing to pay.
[/quote]Nash, you are a dying breed. We've been doing this for years, so why stop now? ;D Plus its for the kids in the community to enjoy [b]while their parents figure out a way to pay for it.[/b][/quote]

I am shocked.  I never realized that I should be addressing you as Congressman Bluedove.  I believe that Greece has also been using that approach for some time.

Well, let's step back here.  By a rough count and even rougher geography, there were 23 games in the, for lack of better phrase, Beaumont area.  Looking at the posts here, there were only complaints about capacity being an issue at 1, yes only 1, of those games.  And if I may be so bold, despite the many great matchups and rivalry games that are yet to be played, it is likely that the only issue regarding capacity will recur when the two teams that played in that lone game play again on January 31st.

I also find it interesting that the Merrill Center was brought up for as most of you know, I live in the Katy ISD.  I am still waiting for when the "profits" of the Merrill Center, which has hosted consecutive Southland Conference tournaments, countless predistrict tournaments, UIL regionals and is even host to a professional (well, sort of) indoor football team, to provide me relief on my Katy ISD property taxes.  I paid those last week and it certainly didn't come this year.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1161451" timestamp="1326816736"]
Well, let's step back here.  By a rough count and even rougher geography, there were 23 games in the, for lack of better phrase, Beaumont area.  Looking at the posts here, there were only complaints about capacity being an issue at 1, yes only 1, of those games.  And if I may be so bold, despite the many great matchups and rivalry games that are yet to be played, it is likely that the only issue regarding capacity will recur when the two teams that played in that lone game play again on January 31st.

I also find it interesting that the Merrill Center was brought up for as most of you know, I live in the Katy ISD.  I am still waiting for when the "profits" of the Merrill Center, which has hosted consecutive Southland Conference tournaments, countless predistrict tournaments, UIL regionals and is even host to a professional (well, sort of) indoor football team, to provide me relief on my Katy ISD property taxes.  I paid those last week and it certainly didn't come this year.
[/quote]

Yeah WOS Grad, I am still paying for the complexes and the new schools in Fort Bend (Recently Ridge Point and George Ranch). 

At this point, as you stated, I don't think that it's feasible or cost effective. 
However, when they were building the complex, it would not have cost as much.
Also, they should have included a track around the football field, and vie to host District track meets and the YMBL track meet.  It's a very nice facility.  I just think that they were short-sighted in their vision and planning.

However, as I think it was Steve Nash pointed out, given the state of the economy, it won't happen anytime soon.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1161451" timestamp="1326816736"]

[/quote] But the kids are benefitting from top-notch facilities

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1161459" timestamp="1326818146"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94358.msg1161451#msg1161451 date=1326816736]

[/quote]

I am going to steal a little Gene Hackman from Hoosier's here.  The height of the basket, regardless of whether it is in the 10,000 seat Merrill Center or the 1,550 seat Tiger Den is 10', the length of the lane is 15' and the length and width of the court is the same at both.

I'm certainly not saying that every school district shouldn't have quality sporting facilities (stadiums, gyms, etc.) but when you pay the tax dollars I do, you are not near as excited about whether a high school kid has the opportunity to play in a Taj Mahal.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1161469" timestamp="1326818901"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=94358.msg1161459#msg1161459 date=1326818146]

[/quote]

I am going to steal a little Gene Hackman from Hoosier's here.  The height of the basket, regardless of whether it is in the 10,000 seat Merrill Center or the 1,550 seat Tiger Den is 10', the length of the lane is 15' and the length and width of the court is the same at both.

I'm certainly not saying that every school district shouldn't have quality sporting facilities (stadiums, gyms, etc.) but when you pay the tax dollars I do, you are not near as excited about whether a high school kid has the opportunity to play in a Taj Mahal.
[/quote]Ah, so what you're really saying is that you don't have a kid in high school @ Katy ISD ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1161490" timestamp="1326821454"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94358.msg1161469#msg1161469 date=1326818901]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=94358.msg1161459#msg1161459 date=1326818146]

[/quote]

[/quote]Ah, so what you're really saying is that you don't have a kid in high school @ Katy ISD ;)
[/quote]

And what you are really saying is that you don't property taxes.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1161419" timestamp="1326813700"]
[/quote]I can afford the  $600. a month payment. It's just this $300. down thats killing me.....lol

No offense but after going to multiple BISD games there is no need for a new big arena in Beaumont. WB is usually empty (I do think they need a new gym), Ozen has plenty of empty seats and Central besides rivalry games with Ozen has plenty of seating. I love the feel of the high school gyms on packed nights and I think you lose that in an 8-10k arena on normal nights. The Montagne Center is a fantastic venue for playoff games but even during the YMBL it's an empty cave for the most part. As great as the crowd was at the H-J vs Silsbee game last week if it was played in an 8-10k arena it wouldn't have sold out. Yes there were people that couldn't get in but not those numbers.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa