SE TEXAS TEAMS VS NORTH & WEST TEXAS TEAMS

It seems to me after the SE  Texas teams leave this area the wheels start falling off...I don't believe it's because North & West Texas have better athletes,I remember when it was said that the Golden Triangle was the leader in producing more pro football players than any other state..It's just odd that once a team leaves this area they can't seem to win even tho the SE Texas teams have better athletes...What's your opinion...

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1144016" timestamp="1323564917"]
Same teams every year are contending so its not possible to have the best athletes evey year I think its coaching and [b]money that gets put into some programs.[/b] Mainly t he successful ones
[/quote]yep

COACHING,,Thats what seperates SETX from the rest of the State..
Im not talking about every team, but most cause we in SETX are not willing to pay top dollar to win..we think we can pay sub par and get a good coach..Sorry but not in todays society..

We have the athletes and players, no doubt..Ive talked to many coaches and they say some of the best ATH in the country come from this area, we just dont have the coaching,,How do you think Lake Travis wins every year, it sure isnt by the athletism of the players..Its coaching that puts them in good Position..

Also Steele didnt have the athletism as Memorial but they were very well coached.. they had one or two good athletic players, but Memorial had about 6 on both sides of the ball its just coaching..

Dollars count, but up here in Newton we are poor as chicken snakes and still produce good teams. The difference between good though and great I think is coaching. Not just head coach but position coaches as well. That's what makes a "well coached and disciplined" team. The head coach is responsible for the team but cannot coach every player in every position.

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="1144271" timestamp="1323612552"]
I can understand how coaching can be a big part of the problem,But if you got several kids on your team that could have a birthday before they could run 40 yds.I don't understand how coaching is gonna make them any faster... ;D ;D
[/quote]thats the trap people fall into when you talk about a kid being a good football player. People think because your fast or big your automatically a giod player. Football IQ like knowing how to tackle run good routes and taking good angles in pursuit and also coachability are more importantant than size are speed. Wes welker leads the nfl in receiving and I promise you its not because he is the biggest or fastest. Jerry rice probably ran a 4.6 at best but made up for it with great hands great routes and hard work. I think alot of potentially good college players get looked over simply because their not the biggest or fastest

In 4A, I think a lot of it has to do with the Houston-area teams we face in the third round. LaMarque, Angleton and Manvel have all proven the strength of their programs and Dawson and Friendswood are both, what, less than a fifty students from 5A status? Having Brenham in Region III doesn't help.

As much as I hate to say it, hurricanes may have something to do with it as well. A lot of people left the area in '05 and again in '08. The kids who are in high school now were in middle and elementary school back then. In the ten years prior to Rita, how many SETX teams made it to state championships? PN-G went in '99, WO-S went in '00 and Nederland fell to Bay City (7-6, maybe?) a round short of the big game in either '00 or '01. And it's not just football. PN-G sent teams to the state tournament in baseball in '00 and '05, and we fielded softball teams at the state tournament in '01 and '04. I know WO-S sent the track team to the state tournament several times in the '00-'05 range (although I think they've been back once or twice since). Heck, it's not even just sports. How many times did PN-G and LC-M send their bands to the state marching competitions between '95 and '05? How many times have they been back since?

Our schools used to be prominent in a lot of things. In many ways, they still are. They just aren't as strong as they used to be.

Guest UHCoog14
It's all about the $$$. How many schools in SE TX have indoor practice facilities? I'm not talking about the boy's gym either. Go look at what schools like Allen and LT have.
I'm not so sold on camps and how much money parents spend on those things. I do think the wealthier schools (SE TX included) have parents that have the ability to provide their kids with personal trainers, private strength and conditioning programs, and maybe more elite level camps.
SE TX schools can match any school in Texas athlete for athlete.  To me, SE TX athletes are less disciplined on the field.

Several different reasons in my opinion. Texas has seen continued population growth during the last decade to the point that all of your metro area are exploding with new schools. The majority of the new schools are 4a and 5a. Those schools are being built in affluent areas where you have alot of ex-college and pro football players moving thier families. These areas have everything you can think of to make kids better at whatever sport your talking about and it doesn't hurt that the majority of them come from good stock already. You are going to continue to see the population boom and schools opening every year for years to come. Our area has been losing population for years, even before the hurricanes and continues today to decay. We as a whole do well in this area, but in the end, it will take a special team to get to the championship. If we have teams going 3+ rounds in football, that should mark a very good year. There are some more Houston area schools coming on line the next couple of years with varsity programs. I know Ft Bend Ridge Point, Tomball Memorial, George Ranch from Lamar Consolidated ISD, a new Katy HS in two years to name a few.

I was just thinking about this thread earlier (before I knew someone posted it). I wouldn't even go as far as West Texas in that group. Its more the big metroplex areas, Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio. The SETX and West TX schools have a lot trouble winning once they get to the Quarterfinals or Semi-Finals especially in 3A and up. Just a shame, in the Quarterfinals between Beaumont/Port Arthur area and Midland/Odessa area there were 3 teams in the Quarterfinals. Two of those went on to the Semi-Finals. Not one went on to the State Championships. I don't pretend to know everything if it's $, coaching, or whatever but by God it sucks. Had planned on going to Arlington this coming weekend because I figured at least one team from West Tx or SETX would be in the Championships but scratch that will be staying in Missouri too far of a drive for schools I have no interest in.

Exposure to football is another thing.  There are youth football leagues everywhere now, but not all are created equal.  In the more affluent suburbs, the youth football teams are going to be coached by men who know more about football. 

Case in point, I'm from Crosby, and I support the CYFL little league they have here, but their coaches are, for the most part, dads that haven't played or had exposure to football since they played in high school.  Kids in Humble are exposed to select YFL teams.  I know for a fact a couple of those teams are coached by dads, but these are dads that have played college, sometimes pro, football.  They are very knowledgeable and those kids learn a lot about playin the game of football very early.  That makes a huge difference.

Sometimes its harder to get things like that when you are further away from the burbs.  Just my two cents.  Probably not the whole reason, but at least part.

As it relates to your post, I believe the youth leagues do play a part. It's not so much the coaching but who is doing the coaching. I've seen many kids put into positions that they were not suited for quite simply because that is where coach dad wanted them to play. When they get to the school levels things change and for some it's like starting over. We also loose potential good athletes for this very reason. They dont get to play where they should be playing, if at all, and begin to lose interest and end not playing school ball. Who knows how many D-1  potentials never suit up again after little league. JMO.

It is all bout the all mighty dollar when teams like lake Travis and southlake have practice bubbles and parents move kids to those type of schools for the exposure they get, I know they can't recruit but they do on a different level other parents find the parents a job and place to live then kid moves in and gets d1 scholarship happens all the time

I have watched High School Football a long time..I played football for Kirbyville,I have seen it evolve from a kid's game into a high stakes win at any cost attitude..Not by the kids but the parents and influence peddling that goes on,It's not that bad up here but I have seen and read about it in the bigger schools and bigger cities..I guess a parent has the right to expect little Johnny to be the star QB even if he couldn't find his tail with a 20 man posse and a search warrant,Since they kicked in a cool mil to build the multi-million dollar stadium and training facility.... ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami