Vidor's great new basketball coach

JV team or not, they got a taste of winning. That's got to feel good and make them have more confidence in themselves and their coach. Attitude and outlook is so important. I've always thought it was a shame that everyone, including the Vidor players themselves, always expect them to lose. Hopefully their program is on the way up. Good luck this year Lady Pirates!

I agree, I wasn't trying to be ugly by my post. I was just wondering if that's who their win came against or if they beat someone else. I watched the Vidor girl's play in the Nederland tournament and they look like a totally different team. They still have a long way to go but she's definately heading them in the right direction. She has those girls running an offense and some set plays and they're doing some different things on defense as well. In the past, it always looked like they just showed up and played to get it over with, not this year. Good Luck Lady Pirates!!!

Guest jbseballfan

First of all, congrats to the Lady Pirates on their first win this season. Those girls work hard and deserve all the success in the world. It seems they are heading in the right direction. I do, however, think it's unfair for you to judge last year's season as a failure because they didn't win a game. If I can recall correctly, they had only two upper classmen, both of which had no varsity playing experience. Add to that a few sophomores and a freshman and there's your team. After having a couple of seasons with a coach who completely tanked them, they had no where to go but up. The reason they are looking better this year is because of the work they put in last year combined with the experience of Coach Arbuckle this year. I watched those girls play last year.....they never won a game but still played every game like they were in it until the last minute. Apparently they were learning something.....hopefully there are more wins to come. And Bobkat....apparently you didn't show up for last year's game with OF because I am sure even the Orangefield coaches will tell you those girls didn't just "show up." They played every minute of that entire game. You measure success in your ability to go deep in the playoffs.....the Vidor girls have to measure success in a totally different way because they haven't benefited from the great programs you guys have over there in OF.

I think everyone is in agreement that it is exciting to see the Lady Pirates' program is looking brighter. I have seen some games where they gave it their all and also games where they didn't. No one questions their past desire to win but losing constantly can dim that fire. Hopefully the new coach is the spark they need. She's already gotten them off to a good start.

Guest bleed orange

If you give coach Arbuckle a chance she will do good things, but she needs help. The girls of vidor need to start playing at the age of 5 not 13. Don't treat softball as the only sport. You guys have the athlete's, but you have to prepare them at an early age. Nederland and Port Neches have both started an Little Dribbler League. Vidor needs to also. It does not have to be Little Dribblers but atleast something. Parents step to the plate just like you do in softball.

Never has the lack of fundamentals been so apparent than in last night's game that Vidor played against Orangefield. The Lady Pirates would make a great play and then give it right back to Orangefield because of ball control problems. I couldn't believe my eyes a couple of times when they broke our press (not many teams are very successful at it) and then couldn't dribble the ball. They clearly showed improvement on execution of plays (their coach obviously is one smart lady and knows basketball), they just really need to learn the basics. Unfortunately that is learned at a much younger age than high school. Those girls never quit though and definitely came to play. They made it obvious they weren't going to be doormats and were physical and that was great to see. I hope Vidor gives their new coach a chance, not just a year or two. I think she could build a good program with time.

One other thing I noticed about the coach. She was up out of her seat the whole game coaching and instructing her girls. She didn't just sit there watching. I'm not blasting the old coach Vidor had but she didn't really seem to do much of anything at their games. Maybe it's just a difference in coaching styles. I hope Vidor appreciates the enthusiasm Coach Arbuckle has.

I am the one who covered that game and know the Lady Cats very well. There are few teams around with as much class as they do. It was never apparent they ran up the score intentionally. You cannot tell kids to not score in basketball. In all likely hood, OF probably could have scored a lot more than 78.

One of my favorite quotes ever is from Steve Spurrier while at Florida,

"It is not my job to help your defense stop my offense."

OF ran plays and were able to find scoring opportunities from them. I just checked the scorebook and most of the scoring in the fourth came from girls not in the starting lineup except for one player.

Guest jbseballfan

I agree with you one on this one, Gabe. I was at the OF vs. Vidor girls game last year as well as the one the year before. I will say the game in the OF tournament of 04 was ugly. That's the one where they OF girls tried to get to 100....think the score was 99 - 12. That, I must say might have been a bit uncalled for, but last year was a different story.

I believe last year was like 80 something to 12 at Vidor's place. OF kept their press off and on during first half and worked on the half court trap during the second half. I believe both coaches did a good job in that game. OF worked on what they needed to (believe me the score could have been worse) and Vidor's coach worked with them right up until the end...calling timeouts and drawing up plays. While on that subject, whoever wrote that last year's coach just "sat down" that's not accurate....I think you are thinking of the girl who coached them a couple years back.

My point is.....OF can't help it if they are talented....and Vidor is working to get better. Are they there yet? No. I do wonder why OF schedules them every year in the first round...but hey, if I was running a tournament, I'd want a guaranteed win too, right?

Guest bleed orange

First of all we did not run up the score on Vidor. All the kids played alot and like someone said before you can't tell a kid who does not play that much not to shoot. Second, some of the other schools in the area have also beaten teams pretty badly, Why did'nt you"Joefriday" say anything about them? I guess its ok for other schools but not Orangefield. Get a life!! The score could have been alot worse. Don't let the score fool you, Vidor is alot better and their coach is bringing them in the right direction. Vidor was up on LCM at the half today but fell a little short.

I believe last year was like 80 something to 12 at Vidor's place. OF kept their press off and on during first half and worked on the half court trap during the second half. I believe both coaches did a good job in that game. OF worked on what they needed to (believe me the score could have been worse) and Vidor's coach worked with them right up until the end...calling timeouts and drawing up plays. While on that subject' date=' whoever wrote that last year's coach just "sat down" that's not accurate....I think you are thinking of the girl who coached them a couple years back. [/b']

It probably was the one from a couple of years ago. I didn't realize there had been a change last year and I apologize if it seemed as if I was maligning her. I was just mainly pointing out the differences between previous coaches and Coach Arbuckle. She seems to have a different coaching style and it looks like Vidor has improved already in the short time she has been there. I don't think anyone in Orangefield likes "blowouts" but it is almost an insult to the opposing team to act like they are not a worthy opponent and not even try. I think both teams learn something from any game they play win or lose. Lady Pirates - good luck in the rest of your season.

Guest bleed orange

Whatever, we could have beat them and ya'll by a lot more. How is that for class. Hey Bear how much did silsbee beat ya'll by? Wasn't it around 60. why are you not popping off about them. If Silsbee would play Vidor the score would be worse.

It's really getting old hearing how one team beat this team by this much. What? Get over it. The Orangefield/Vidor game is one example of that. If you've never seen Orangefield play then don't get on here and say we run up the score. We play in your face, deny the ball type defense and we play that way against everyone we play. We flat out get after people and our defense leads to our offense...and part of our defense is pressing people. If you think 78 to 11 is a blow out then I'm sorry. Our entire team played that game and our five bench players played just as much if not more than our five starters. Every girl scored and we didn't press the entire 2nd half...what do you want our kids to do...go into a stall offense!!! I'm not picking on Vidor, I'm just using them as an example. Maybe instead of griping about it on a message board, why don't you get your butt in a gym and get better. That's what our kids have done and still do to this day. Our kids practice hard, probably harder than anyone and have earned the right through hard work to play how they see fit.

I agree,if you dont like it fix it and do something about it.

that goes in all sports.If you dont like getting beat then that means you need to work harder .

I do think if you are the team doing all the scoring then that is a great oppurtunity to let your younger kids play. And Kids that usually dont get alot of playing time as chance to show there talents or just have fun.

Guest bleed orange

We never said we were better than anyone. I know there is teams out there that can beat us. Why do you think we have 4 losses. Our kids do not uderestimate anyone and neither do I. I would like to know what is your problem with Orangefield? Other teams can blow out another team and nothing is said. But Orangefield does it and some of you start complaining. Talent comes in cycles. We have had talent the last four years. It does not mean we will have talent for the next 4 years. What about the 10 years before that? Our kids have worked hard to get were they are at. And by the way, we do have some more talent coming up. Orangefield has always been humble. We have to fight and scratch for everthing. We are not big and fast or have super athletes. We just have kids that have to work maybe a little harder then some of the other schools just to earn a little respect.

I for one don't think Orangefield purposely runs up a score. I live in LCM and have a Daughter on LCM's Varsity, so I witnessed a blowout myself. Orangefield did play all of their girls and their subs got a bunch of playing time. A coach can't tell her kids to just STOP playing !! Orangefield girls work their tails off year round in basketball and it shows. Until other schools start doing the same it's not going to get any better.

Yea, I hate getting our butts beat, but if you don't like it then work your butts off to get better and be able to compete at the level they play at! Then you want have to be having this discussion.

I think our girls got something out of the Orangefield game and yep I'm sure it was embarrassing to them, but they will grow from that game and they will improve.

Guest bleed orange

Good post #1manager. I agree, I posted positive things about your coach and then some posters went totally in a different direction. Welcome to the message board. It happens all the time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder