SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

I posted this earlier today in an existing thread, but felt it deserved its own...

"I've been thinking about posting this since last night but was not sure if I should.  However, after reading several of the posts in this thread, here  goes...

I think the tragic and untimely death of Matt Thomas, as unfortunate as it was, served to be a "turnaround" for the town of Vidor.  Many people that I have spoken with since shortly after his death right up thru today have taken a more positive view of Vidor as a whole.  As sad as his passing was for his family. teammates, friends and others he came in contact with, I think they can take some solace in knowing that this young man, of all people, may have been responsible for at least partially erasing the "image" that your town has portrayed (factually or not) in the past.  Isn't it ironic that, for a town that has been deemed as racist by many, it took the accidental death of a young, African American high school student/football player to reverse the thinking of so many both within and outside of the Vidor community.  If I may say without offending anyone, I truly believe that this was the Lord's plan for Matt from the beginning..HE does work in ways we may not fully understand...but it doesn't matter..we have seen already the positive changes that have taken place and I'm sure there will be more to come...I feel that Matt is sitting with his Maker, smiling down on what they see and him now knowing what his purpose on this earth was really all about.

Thank you for allowing to speak my heart... "

R.I.P. #28 and Thank You 

Absolutely agree YankeeDawg, well said. I think Matt's death was a pivotal moment that has shown the change our community has been working so hard for was actually happening. It was great to have the large number of Ozen players and supporters in the stands with us rooting for victory against Livingston. Everyone I know that was in attendance was very supportive and appreciative of the reception they were given while our guests. The Communist News Network expose back in '06 was particularly damaging and I felt it hurt not only Vidor but the entire area. Vidorians are hard working, blue and white collar mostly religious people who take a lot of civic pride anymore. Look through any of the schools in our area and you will find kids whose parents who work in the same refineries, etc. and that there is not much difference between Vidor or Nederland or Central or WOS. People in our area live relatively well and the old thought process that an entire town can be connected to something as ludicrous as racism in 2011 is just wrong. There will always be that small group of individuals that we all have in our collective towns who bring us shame but most SE Texans are salt of the earth and we Vidorians are no different.

[quote name="YankeeDawg" post="1132396" timestamp="1322364053"]
I posted this earlier today in an existing thread, but felt it deserved its own...

"I've been thinking about posting this since last night but was not sure if I should.  However, after reading several of the posts in this thread, here  goes...

I think the tragic and untimely death of Matt Thomas, as unfortunate as it was, served to be a "turnaround" for the town of Vidor.  Many people that I have spoken with since shortly after his death right up thru today have taken a more positive view of Vidor as a whole.  As sad as his passing was for his family. teammates, friends and others he came in contact with, I think they can take some solace in knowing that this young man, of all people, may have been responsible for at least partially erasing the "image" that your town has portrayed (factually or not) in the past.  Isn't it ironic that, for a town that has been deemed as racist by many, it took the accidental death of a young, African American high school student/football player to reverse the thinking of so many both within and outside of the Vidor community.  If I may say without offending anyone, I truly believe that this was the Lord's plan for Matt from the beginning..HE does work in ways we may not fully understand...but it doesn't matter..we have seen already the positive changes that have taken place and I'm sure there will be more to come...I feel that Matt is sitting with his Maker, smiling down on what they see and him now knowing what his purpose on this earth was really all about.

R.I.P. #28 and Thank You
[/quote]Great Post +1

R.I.P. #28 and Thank You
[/quote]
+1

[quote name="robanadana" post="1132561" timestamp="1322372137"]
Absolutely agree YankeeDawg, well said. I think Matt's death was a pivotal moment that has shown the change our community has been working so hard for was actually happening. It was great to have the large number of Ozen players and supporters in the stands with us rooting for victory against Livingston. Everyone I know that was in attendance was very supportive and appreciative of the reception they were given while our guests. The Communist News Network expose back in '06 was particularly damaging and I felt it hurt not only Vidor but the entire area. Vidorians are hard working, blue and white collar mostly religious people who take a lot of civic pride anymore. Look through any of the schools in our area and you will find kids whose parents who work in the same refineries, etc. and that there is not much difference between Vidor or Nederland or Central or WOS. People in our area live relatively well and the old thought process that an entire town can be connected to something as ludicrous as racism in 2011 is just wrong. There will always be that small group of individuals that we all have in our collective towns who bring us shame but most SE Texans are salt of the earth and we Vidorians are no different.
[/quote]
+1

I think the tragic and untimely death of Matt Thomas, as unfortunate as it was, served to be a "turnaround" for the town of Vidor.  Many people that I have spoken with since shortly after his death right up thru today have taken a more positive view of Vidor as a whole.  As sad as his passing was for his family. teammates, friends and others he came in contact with, I think they can take some solace in knowing that this young man, of all people, may have been responsible for at least partially erasing the "image" that your town has portrayed (factually or not) in the past.  Isn't it ironic that, for a town that has been deemed as racist by many, it took the accidental death of a young, African American high school student/football player to reverse the thinking of so many both within and outside of the Vidor community.  If I may say without offending anyone, [b]I truly believe that this was the Lord's plan for Matt from the beginning..HE does work in ways we may not fully understand...but it doesn't matter..we have seen already the positive changes that have taken place and I'm sure there will be more to come...I feel that Matt is sitting with his Maker, smiling down on what they see and him now knowing what his purpose on this earth was really all about.
[/b]

R.I.P. #28 and Thank You
[/quote]I completely agree with this.. I thought the same thing... And may I say, please never apologize for talking about God in fear you may offend someone. That's whats wrong today, people are afraid they will offend someone when they speak about God, outside of Church.
Mark 16:15  And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

R.I.P. #28 and Thank You
[/quote]

Great post YankeeDawg  :)

[quote name="octfeb" post="1133426" timestamp="1322487045"]
[quote author=YankeeDawg link=topic=92284.msg1132396#msg1132396 date=1322364053]

I think the tragic and untimely death of Matt Thomas, as unfortunate as it was, served to be a "turnaround" for the town of Vidor.  Many people that I have spoken with since shortly after his death right up thru today have taken a more positive view of Vidor as a whole.  As sad as his passing was for his family. teammates, friends and others he came in contact with, I think they can take some solace in knowing that this young man, of all people, may have been responsible for at least partially erasing the "image" that your town has portrayed (factually or not) in the past.  Isn't it ironic that, for a town that has been deemed as racist by many, it took the accidental death of a young, African American high school student/football player to reverse the thinking of so many both within and outside of the Vidor community.  If I may say without offending anyone, [b]I truly believe that this was the Lord's plan for Matt from the beginning..HE does work in ways we may not fully understand...but it doesn't matter..we have seen already the positive changes that have taken place and I'm sure there will be more to come...I feel that Matt is sitting with his Maker, smiling down on what they see and him now knowing what his purpose on this earth was really all about.
[/b]

R.I.P. #28 and Thank You
[/quote]I completely agree with this.. I thought the same thing... And may I say, please never apologize for talking about God in fear you may offend someone. That's whats wrong today, people are afraid they will offend someone when they speak about God, outside of Church.
Mark 16:15  And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
[/quote]

Thanks OCTFEB, I fully understand and appreciate your comments.                       

And Amen !! to the scripture you quoted.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder