HJ football fans deserve better

True...my points were more aimed at the original letter writer, who thinks the fans deserve a steak and lobster football program when their fan support has been bread and water thin.  Speechless begs to differ, but even speechless has said as much about the support.  I don't beleive speechless supports the letter writer, is a supporter of ALL H-J sports, but is defending the fine folks of the area.  Understandable, but those same fine folks need to get behind their football kids by being out there, being loud and proud, no matter the record. You will see improvement, because at that time, those kids will see their efforts being appreciated.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="elhector1" post="1134756" timestamp="1322605437"]
True...my points were more aimed at the original letter writer, who thinks the fans deserve a steak and lobster football program when their fan support has been bread and water thin.  Speechless begs to differ, but even speechless has said as much about the support.  I don't beleive speechless supports the letter writer, is a supporter of ALL H-J sports, but is defending the fine folks of the area.  Understandable, but those same fine folks need to get behind their football kids by being out there, being loud and proud, no matter the record. You will see improvement, because at that time, those kids will see their efforts being appreciated.
[/quote]
I agree 100%.

[quote name="speechless" post="1134711" timestamp="1322602395"]
Hmmmm.....I find that hard to believe that 300-500 fills the Vidor gymnasium as I have been there many times.  The side behind the benches would hold more than many small school gyms around this area.  The other side is smaller but, not by a whole lot.  I would venture to guess that Vidor's gymnasium holds between 2,500 and 3,000 people if totally full. 

You are flat out lying to me if you want me to believe that Vidor had that gym full at any point last season or the couple before that (post English era).

I am not knocking Vidor here....[b]what I am saying is that just because people don't show up to a game doesn't mean there isn't community support....[/b]
[/quote]
I never questioned the support of your football team speechless. I was simply saying that HJ is a basketball school and if they had as much support in football as they do basketball then this forum wouldn't even exist.

Yep, HJ is a basketball school.  Like posters have said, they start training those kids at a very early age, right along with baseball, tennis, and golf.  I honestly dont know about the football kids.  Do they have a flag/tackle league in HJ? 

Vidor is a football school.  Always has been.  Vidor starts kids at about 5 years old in football and baseball.  Vidor doesnt have a Little Dribblers program, so there isnt any organized basketball until jr high school.  Its no small wonder why the Pirates struggle on the hardwood.  As to the poster who said that 300 or more fans at every game for the Pirates while playing basketball, I would say, not this year.  More like 150 and when your place holds 1500 it looks awful empty.  But Vidor has never supported a losing basketball team, ever.  Winning puts butts in the seats.  Simple as that. 

I would suggest that those folks in HJ who want a good football program to be rabid supporters of their program, win or lose.  Encourage your kids to get involved at an early age and stay involved no matter what the record is....course, if a kid doesnt like football or otherwise doesnt want to play, thats fine too. Just support your high school teams, whether its football, basketball, volleyball, right on down the line.  Those kids work hard, or, are supposed to, so go out and support them.  Fill the stands no matter what the record or the weather.  Great expectations with hard work equals great results.

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1135948" timestamp="1322705810"]
Yep, HJ is a basketball school.  Like posters have said, they start training those kids at a very early age, right along with baseball, tennis, and golf.  I honestly dont know about the football kids.  Do they have a flag/tackle league in HJ? 

Vidor is a football school.  Always has been.  Vidor starts kids at about 5 years old in football and baseball.  Vidor doesnt have a Little Dribblers program, [b]so there isnt any organized basketball until jr high school. [/b]  Its no small wonder why the Pirates struggle on the hardwood.  As to the poster who said that 300 or more fans at every game for the Pirates while playing basketball, I would say, not this year.  More like 150 and when your place holds 1500 it looks awful empty.  But Vidor has never supported a losing basketball team, ever.  Winning puts butts in the seats.  Simple as that. 

I would suggest that those folks in HJ who want a good football program to be rabid supporters of their program, win or lose.  Encourage your kids to get involved at an early age and stay involved no matter what the record is....course, if a kid doesnt like football or otherwise doesnt want to play, thats fine too. Just support your high school teams, whether its football, basketball, volleyball, right on down the line.  Those kids work hard, or, are supposed to, so go out and support them.  Fill the stands no matter what the record or the weather.  Great expectations with hard work equals great results.
[/quote]
What about Upward Bound?

HJ has had a very successful youth football program for at least the last 5 years.  Our kids have played in the STJFL league and currently play in Lone Star league.  Many of our kids have a great passion for football, and excel in the sport.  My son and many of his friends have played football since they were 6 years old. Hopefully our program will be turned around soon.

[quote name="mical" post="1135974" timestamp="1322707256"]
HJ has had a very successful youth football program for at least the last 5 years.  Our kids have played in the STJFL league and currently play in Lone Star league.  Many of our kids have a great passion for football, and excel in the sport.  My son and many of his friends have played football since they were 6 years old. Hopefully our program will be turned around soon.
[/quote]

The seeds have been planted, HJ, it's up to you fans to grow the crop!

as to the person who asked about upward basketball....we do have that now and have had it for several years.  One of my kids played in upward when he was 5 and is now a junior in high school....the emphasis there seemed to be more of bible study than basketball skills learning, or at least, thats how it was back then.  Not knocking upward basketball at all, I think its great and certainly better than nothing at all, but its not a basketball skill building activity, IMO.

As to the last poster, it sounds like HJ has a pretty good junior league for football, so thats very good to hear.  I honestly dont have some magic bullet that would make HJ a good football team.  I still think that it all begins with expectations and rabid fan support.  The more people put an emphasis on something, the better things tend to get..I wish HJ luck in building a competitive football program.

[quote name="mical" post="1135974" timestamp="1322707256"]
[/quote] HJ started a youth football program in 2001- present. And have faired very well.

Please let me interject as a parent of an HJ senior, freshman & 2nd grader(unexpected - HA!), I really do not believe the reason for HJ's struggles in football are due to a lack of community involvement.  My two sons played football in junior high but didn't choose to participate in high school.  When I inquired as to why not they never once mentioned that is was because there was a lack of community involvement.  Personally I think it was because of their lack of physical size as well as the aggressiveness that is required to play football.  As a parent, trust me, these kids are not looking for the stands to be full with the entire community behind them they are looking to see mom, dad, brother, sister, grandparents watching them.  HJ has had a strong youth football program in place for a while now - someone needs to figure out why there has been such a drop off in participation between junior high & high school. 

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1137154" timestamp="1322838593"]
Should HJ just cancel the program like I said last year? Why not just play basketball and become a private school.
[/quote]

Okay, BADSANTA.  I know that you and the H-J fans have your beef, which interesting enough given the tenor of this thread, is centered around basketball.  But don't come and get stupid in this forum.  You know what will happen.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1138112" timestamp="1322883316"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=91960.msg1138089#msg1138089 date=1322882821]
Stupid? Cancel the program will allow you to play golf and basketball year round
[/quote]

That is real classy!!!!!  However I am not the least bit surprised!!!
[/quote]I believe he needs the attention wether it be good or bad. JMO

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1125838" timestamp="1321830197"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/opinions/letters/article/LETTER-Hardin-Jefferson-football-fans-deserve-2275443.php

::)
[/quote]

I am giving ten to one odds that " Mr. Leon" is not the true author but only the front man for a certain disgruntled individual.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder