HBU to join Southland

Guest beechnut

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1125178" timestamp="1321768406"]
I think it is a good move.

Let me pose this question, and keep in mind that I am all for LU moving up to the WAC or the Sun Belt.  How would LU make the Wac or the Sunbelt better????
[/quote]LU tried the Sun Belt once before. Got ran out of there and buried their heads back into the SLC.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1125178" timestamp="1321768406"]
I think it is a good move.

Let me pose this question, and keep in mind that I am all for LU moving up to the WAC or the Sun Belt.  How would LU make the Wac or the Sunbelt better????
[/quote]

we'd field teams in all sports..and actually have fans

oral roberts, hbu...is centenary next?

this sucks

HBU doesn't even have lights at their baseball field.  I did read they are planning a new Events Center for basketball but that's not going to happen overnight.  They are also planning to start football, but how is this good for Lamar football if there's another FCS team in one of Lamar's top recruiting area?

I'm not saying how this will help Lamar. Because it won't. It will hurt Lamar because they are already better at several non revenue sports. But it will help the conference as a whole. Their Athletic department will be just as good as UTA at least.

Who do you think and want the SLC to go get? Tarleton state? That's about the best you could hope to get to replace Texas State or UTSA. None of the teams that can replace those schools or anywhere near the caliber of those 2 programs.

I thought Oral Roberts was a great addition but I'm not a fan of HBU. Their basketball arena is only a little bigger than the current setup at McDonald Gym seating 1,000......yes only 1,000. And no lights at the baseball field. ZERO fan support.

I think Abilene Christian would be a good fit. The basketball arena  isn't huge (4,000) but it's nicer than a lot of the SLC schools already. Baseball seats 1,000 and has LIGHTS! Football plays at Shotwell Stadium.

If you go the route of adding an Oklahoma school maybe Central Oklahoma????? And I have no clue who to add from Arkansas. Arkansas Tech or Henderson State????

Enrollments
Central Oklahoma (17,101)
Arkansas Tech (10,464)
Abilene Christian (4,558)
Henderson State (3,584)
Oral Roberts (3,200).....Hoops and baseball history give them a pass.
Houston Baptist (2,200)........seriously SLC?

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1126163" timestamp="1321856413"]
I thought Oral Roberts was a great addition but I'm not a fan of HBU. Their basketball arena is only a little bigger than the current setup at McDonald Gym seating 1,000......yes only 1,000. And no lights at the baseball field. ZERO fan support.

I think Abilene Christian would be a good fit. The basketball arena  isn't huge (4,000) but it's nicer than a lot of the SLC schools already. Baseball seats 1,000 and has LIGHTS! Football plays at Shotwell Stadium.

If you go the route of adding an Oklahoma school maybe Central Oklahoma????? And I have no clue who to add from Arkansas. Arkansas Tech or Henderson State????

Enrollments
Arkansas Tech (10,464)
Henderson State (3,584)
[/quote]

Abilene is the only one that makes sense to me. They have the facilities above the others plus money to pay for travel.

Adding ORU gave the SLC 10 basketball schools and 8 football schools, instead of the 12/8 setup they had the last few years.  Why add HBU now?  That gives the SLC 11 schools.  Maybe they know someone else is on the way out?

HBU probably got the nod over all those D2 schools because they are already D1 so they can join the conference right away.  Their athletic budget is already at $8.9 million which is middle of the pack for the SLC.  But their facilities suck and their basketball/baseball teams will really drag down the RPI of the league.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1126163" timestamp="1321856413"]

Enrollments
Arkansas Tech (10,464)
Henderson State (3,584)
[/quote]

Geez, don't be so negative.  They had 500 fans at their basketball game!  (That was the reported number, so actual was probably 318).  I just hope we figure out a way to invite Lutheran South High School next.  And maybe Bishop Byrne?

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1126573" timestamp="1321907562"]
Terrible addition. I commented on the SLC FB page and they removed it.
[/quote]
ShlyKBMT, I agree with all your points. Then think about recruiting the Houston area after all the big-name universities take the best players. Then Texas State, UTSA, SHSU, SFA, McNeese, HBU and Lamar will battle for the best of the rest. This will kill the SLC in the FCS playoffs. New Hampshire, Montana, Montana State, Georgia Southern, Northern Iowa and the like don't have a bunch of FCS programs in their backyard. 

Let me see, doesn't Nicholls average about 500 people for conference games????  So who cares?  Already in the works for a new basketball arena at HBU, and that comes from an basketball alum at HBU!!!!  Coach Cotrell is a great coach over there as well!!!!!  Remember little 'ol HBU dang near beat LU in the Montagne about 15 years ago!!!!!

Remember Lamar almost beating Duke (lost 66-62) when Coach Foster was here and Duke played Louisville for the National Championship after winning 36 straight games.

I know they are planning a new basketball arena as that came for the school president.

Everyone has an opinion, I just don't think HBU is the best fit for the SLC.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83