Mandatory Knee Braces

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1119153" timestamp="1321392865"]
Playmaker braces (the ones that are completely metal on the sides) send the knee back inside and completely prevent inward and outward movement. Not completely eliminating the chances of a tear, but greatly decreasing the chances of it. ALL linemen should be required to wear them. Imo
[/quote]
Should be an individual decision.  Gotta agree with P4E.

[quote name="rollinac" post="1119170" timestamp="1321393973"]
[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=91619.msg1119153#msg1119153 date=1321392865]
Playmaker braces (the ones that are completely metal on the sides) send the knee back inside and completely prevent inward and outward movement. Not completely eliminating the chances of a tear, but greatly decreasing the chances of it. ALL linemen should be required to wear them. Imo
[/quote]
[/quote]
Dont know about that....  How about it should be an individual decision if you pay for your own grocerys and medical bills. ;D

To me anything that may prevent a very probable severe injury should be reviewed and steps taken for protection. I wish helmets gave better protection to the user and had a soft outer shell to lessen the blow to the other player. It's funny how few pro and college players use any pads or use modified pads on their legs because "it slows me down".

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1119210" timestamp="1321396098"]
[quote author=rollinac link=topic=91619.msg1119170#msg1119170 date=1321393973]
[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=91619.msg1119153#msg1119153 date=1321392865]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Dont know about that....  How about it should be an individual decision if you pay for your own grocerys and medical bills. ;D
[/quote]
Haha, you're right...I did mean it as an individual decision between parents and their kids or the coaching staff.  Not UIL or some other "governing body." 

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1119153" timestamp="1321392865"]
[/quote]

Ok here is my two cents.

They playmaker is for lateral suport.  It will offer some support to prevent an injury.

The Braces that everyone see on lineman on tv, run about $800 a piece.  Generally, that is a post injury brace in HS. 

There are off the shelf versions, and they run about $400 apiece.

I have seen kids tear ACL's in noncontact drills. Saw three last year that were girls jumping, noncontact(volleyball, cheerleading(pep rally)and basketball)

Some people have a genetic predisposition to having the ligament tear. 

Here is another thing.  If the force of impact is great enough, something somewhere is going to give, Femur or Tib/fib. 

Would wearing a knee brace have prevented Jamaal Charles ACL tear?

If we are going to make them mandatory, I am going to change jobs.  gonna make a lot of money selling knee braces.

[quote name="The GOAT" post="1121132" timestamp="1321557653"]
I say yes, at least for offensive linemen
[/quote]

Who is going to pay for them?  How do you determine which lineman get them?  Starters, all levels, just who can afford them.  Exactly how many lineman do you lose to ACL tears? 

To get off the shelf ACL braces, you are looking at a cost of $700 to $800 dollars.  That is an ACL brace, not one that is for lateral protection.

Just food for thought. 

[quote name="speveto" post="1121155" timestamp="1321559736"]
When I played, we did not know what a knee-brace was, but we didn`t  use face-mask eather and you were a sissy if you drank water.  Let`s see,  no pads inside the helmet. No gloves.  If you jumped off-side or missed a block, you got beat with a board.
[/quote]

fortunately we know more now.

it should be an individual choice.most lineman wear them & theres still the same amount if not more knee injuries.players keep getting bigger,faster & quicker but the ligaments,tendons & joints can only handle so much.ive seen & read alot of knee injuries are non contact happening mainly on artificial turf.

Wish they would have been around during the late 70's and early 80's. All we had back then was a trainer and a heck of alot of tape. I had the misfortune of having my knee totally replaced 10 years ago due to sports realted knee injuries. Thing is doctor says in another couple of years it will need to be done again. So do I think they should be worn YOU BET.

[quote name="ECFAN#1" post="1121141" timestamp="1321558296"]
Has PNG seen a decrease in knee injurys since they seem to be the ones that use them? Just asking because I don't know the answer.
[/quote]

PNG 2009 and 2010 offensive lines only suffered one knee injury combined. It came in the playoffs last year to the center, Parks. If I'm not mistaken it came more from hitting his knee on the ground extremely hard and not from a typical reason. They are very effective, but very expensive.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder