Texas HS football vs. rest of the country

I gotta admitt I just moved here from Chicago at the begining of this season for work and the BEST Chicago area team couldnt stay on the same field with the worst from any of these local teams. Ive always been interested in the whole Texas friday night lights stories and i was pleasently surprised to find out first hand its all true.

Also I have to give props to the local parents and communities for their support. In Illinois your lucky if half the parents make the games.

Mid County Madness???? WHAT??? Nobody baack home believes me when i say there are 10-15 thousand fans at high school games.

I plan on traveling and trying to catch a playoff game every weekend through out the state playoffs. Who are the teams to watch that travel well. Ive read PNG plays with sometimes 30 thousand people in big playoff games.

Anyhow, glad to be here and Ive enjoyed the local HS football this year.

Well, on behalf of us setexans, welcome to the swamp. On top of the football in Texas, how are you aclimating to our humidity and the almighty mosquito? Also, our wind is nothing like Chicago. I know yall have 20mph wind daily. Were lucky to get a 5mph from the gulf. LOL. Anyways, welcome once again. And now you know why our state produces most of the NFL players.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="mytwocents" post="1108445" timestamp="1320717632"]
If your in town next year you should definitely check out the Vidor Homecoming show. It's IMO the best halftime show in the state.
[/quote]
But i have to warn you get there early. its gets packed fast.

When they used to play the triple headers in the dome during the playoffs that would be a large crowd watching.  My wife is from Arizona and she can't believe some of the stadiums or the amount of people that come to 3A games.  I told her it is a way of life and always will be whether our kids are playing or not. 

And I do have a qestion for you TRUTH. Why is it that Notre Dame doesn't hqve air conditioners in their dorms? I took a recruit visit their in '98 and was amazed that there were only furnaces, no ac. It has to get hot in south bend. And yes, I know its in Indiana, but its only 45 min. From O'hare.

[quote name="texaggies07" post="1108475" timestamp="1320718659"]
The whole country should get a good look next year when Lake Travis plays Don Bosco Prep from New Jersey.  I'm really looking forward to that one.
[/quote]

I heard that was just a joke. Don Bosco is to scared to come into Texas. They only go to cali and Florida.

[quote name="Purple Runs Deep" post="1108490" timestamp="1320719100"]
[quote author=texaggies07 link=topic=91129.msg1108475#msg1108475 date=1320718659]
The whole country should get a good look next year when Lake Travis plays Don Bosco Prep from New Jersey.  I'm really looking forward to that one.
[/quote]

Can you imagine the jersey trash talk..."Come at me bro..."  ;D  Lake Travis would mop the floor with those NJ clowns.
[/quote]

Don't forget the dust pumps..LOL. and before they play, they have to do GTL. Haha.

[quote name="kicker" post="1108495" timestamp="1320719234"]
[quote author=Purple Runs Deep link=topic=91129.msg1108490#msg1108490 date=1320719100]
[quote author=texaggies07 link=topic=91129.msg1108475#msg1108475 date=1320718659]
[/quote]

Can you imagine the jersey trash talk..."Come at me bro..."  ;D  Lake Travis would mop the floor with those NJ clowns.
[/quote]

Don't forget the dust pumps..LOL. and before they play, they have to do GTL. Haha.
[/quote]

lol nice

when Nederland and PNG would play double games in the Astrodome everyone from bmt,Port Arthur and all areas would come. I think that midcounty were the first to rent the dome and they asked if we could bring 15,000 people  LMAO. There have been some amazing games in the dome. 2 years nederland and png played Brenham andLamarque then changed teams the next year.

[quote name="ColdHardTRUTH" post="1108420" timestamp="1320716901"]
I gotta admitt I just moved here from Chicago at the begining of this season for work and the BEST Chicago area team couldnt stay on the same field with the worst from any of these local teams. Ive always been interested in the whole Texas friday night lights stories and i was pleasently surprised to find out first hand its all true.

Also I have to give props to the local parents and communities for their support. In Illinois your lucky if half the parents make the games.

Mid County Madness???? WHAT??? Nobody baack home believes me when i say there are 10-15 thousand fans at high school games.

I plan on traveling and trying to catch a playoff game every weekend through out the state playoffs. Who are the teams to watch that travel well. Ive read PNG plays with sometimes 30 thousand people in big playoff games.

[/quote]

Nederland, PNG , Dayton all travel pretty well. 

[quote name="kicker" post="1108495" timestamp="1320719234"]
[quote author=Purple Runs Deep link=topic=91129.msg1108490#msg1108490 date=1320719100]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

FIST PUMP hahaha!

[quote name="ColdHardTRUTH" post="1108420" timestamp="1320716901"]

[/quote]

It's true. The national record for attendance at a high school football game is held by PN-G and was set at the 1977 4A state championship game. It still stands today at 49,953 fans. Eyewitness accounts and news articles from the time that I've seen put about 38,000 fans on the PN-G side of Texas Stadium and about 12,000 on the Plano side. When we last went to the state championship in 1999, PN-G set the record for high school football attendance in that stadium at 39,000, with ~34,000 sitting on the PN-G side (a first grade bamakid being one of them).

When I'm not on a cell phone, I'll see if I can dig up articles and pictures from the games that were scanned in elsewhere. In the meantime, tell your Chicago friends to look up the Texas Bob high school football stadium database. It has pictures of and information about every high school stadium in the state, including the capacity of each one.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder