WORDS FROM DAN HOOKS

skipper

Some of you WOS people might tell me to mind my own' date=' but isn't that the same OC that had you undefeated 'till the Giddings game? When you have athletic QBs and RBs like WOS has year after year, I see no problem with the spread on the goal line. Please tell me the advantage of being under center as opposed to the spread, except for a QB keeper, which is absolutely not a guarantee either. He went with what got him there. Just my humble opinion....that and .50 cents might get you a cup of coffee.[/quote']

We have never this year ran the ball out of the shot gun with the ball on the goal line. The difference is you go from needing only about a foot to get in with the Qb under center as oppose to needing about five or six yards when he's in the shot gun, there is a big difference. If they had to call a bone head play like that, atleast run it with your running Qb which is Jaboby Franks. I don't care if the play had worked, it would have just been a bad play call that worked. Either way you look at it, it was a bad play call. As far as the person that said that Crouch got us undefeated, well I think a big reason for us being undefeated is because we played some teams that we were a lot better than, so we didn't need to be too creative with our play calling, plus he never made a stupid play call like that the whole year. He waits until he plays a good team to decide to be cute. It happens every year, when we get up against a good team, some of our coaches decide they are gonna try and out think the other coach and it ends up back firing more often that not.

Maybe the OC learned his lesson??? But from hearing what you guys have said this has been a problem in the playoffs for years with him.

It has been and people are fed up...enough is enough. This was one of the most talented teams that Wo-s has ever had and to have their season ruined because we have a coach tring to be cute with his play calling is unacceptible. I know the guys made a lot of mistakes Friday night, but they stayed fighting and kept themselves in the game and in a position to tie the game only to have a coach decide he wants to be a genious and out think the other coach and ruin his teams chances. It's a pattern with this guy and most honest Wo-s fans and players will agree with me, but a lot of them don't want to say it.

Maybe the OC learned his lesson??? But from hearing what you guys have said this has been a problem in the playoffs for years with him.

It has been and people are fed up...enough is enough. This was one of the most talented teams that Wo-s has ever had and to have their season ruined because we have a coach tring to be cute with his play calling is unacceptible. I know the guys made a lot of mistakes Friday night, but they stayed fighting and kept themselves in the game and in a position to tie the game only to have a coach decide he wants to be a genious and out think the other coach and ruin his teams chances. It's a pattern with this guy and most honest Wo-s fans and players will agree with me, but a lot of them don't want to say it.

BC Card, I don't get the whole "Hooks agrees read so in the paper" comment? Is he not watching them line up in the shotgun on the goal line? Isn't Hooks there all week as they practice their goal line package which obviously includes shotgun formations??? I think you're placing too much of this on the OC, yes I agree, shotgun from inside the 1/2 yard line is ridiculous, but the playcalling is dictated or at least should be at the direction of the Head Coach. Not necessarily the exact plays, but absolutely the strategy... and shotgun from the 1 is a strategy... and as head coach, Hook supported that strategy. So, whether you like the play calling or not, the head coach has as much ownership over what happens as the OC does... at least he should, it's his team, and he answers to the players when he lets them down. Just my two cents.

Guest GoStangs

Not every offensive play is run through Coach Hooks for approval -- as a matter of fact, only few of them are. He puts great trust in his coordinators and gives them a large amount of discretion (in this case, to his detriment). However, with that said, the second play from the shotgun inside the 1 yard line never should have happened. I agree he should have intervened, but the play caller at WOS is the OC, and he's the one who said what to run. He's a professional coach like the rest of them, I know a lot was being said to him during the game, and I don't know, or never will know, why he called what he did.

I'm talking about preparing a team during the week of practice even... every team practices goal line situations as a separate part of practice. I understand that every play isn't run through the head coach, I was pretty explicit in talking about the STRATAGIES and team preparation... that's all I was pointing out.

I am not calling for the mans job, I'm stating that Hooks is in bed with him on what goes on with the playcalling. Every good head coach is a part of the game plan and what will be done in situations like goal line offense. That was my only point, I'm not calling for anyones job.

Guest GoStangs

I know what you're saying, Penny. My thought is that Coach Hooks probably assumed the play from 6 inches out would not be a QB dive (not a draw) from the shotgun formation followed by a delayed handoff in the shotgun spread. Strategically, especially in the situation we were in, his philosophy generally is to do something a lot more conservative than what we saw -- after watching him over the past 20 some odd years, I'd bet the farm he would never call those plays or tell someone to run them no matter who they were playing.

I really believe he did not know the exact play that was to be called, and I very seriously doubt those plays followed any predetermined "strategy." The shotgun spread from the 1 is merely a type of formation, not what would've been the team's only goal line offense, especially with the personnel we had on this team and what they had run earlier in the season in similar situations. Unfortunately, I don't think much forethought went into the plays that were called at the goal line, either, and that's what ultimately cost us.

GS you know I love you guys like brothers but with all due respect please hear me out on this one. I really have a problem with calling a man out on a website over a situation like this. I have the utmost respect for you guys but I think this is taken a little too far. There was so much more to this game than the one play. I hope I am not lynched or burned at the stake but this is a high school football game. I just feel that in fairness to Coach Hooks that we need to allow him to address it in his own manner. There is a process in place so parents and fans have to let it run is course. Just my opinion and that’s all.

Guest GoStangs

You're right. There was a lot to Friday night's game, but somehow the topic of conversation here shifted to what was called on the goal line series. I've expressed my opinions about that situation, but I don't think I've went overboard in my comments. Coach Hooks is the first person who mentioned anything negative about the play calling, and he did it publicly in a newspaper. I've offered my insight on what happened, but I'm done with it. :)

while were fixing the play calling problems can we please fix the lack of kicking??? we were down 14-13 and were well within fieldgoal range, but instead of having the ability to go ahead 16-14 we went for it on 4th and didnt make it. we have to have that somewhere in our arsenal for next season...we have to!!!! it wouldve been easier to play with a lead, especially since the defense was pitching a shutout in the second half at that point...

we have to be able to put points on the board when we have the opportunity.

We've barely been able to kick an extra point - much less a field goal - for the last five years. If we were really doing all of the "recruiting" that most sour-grapers claim, we'd have a soccer player from an area school suiting out. That is our weakest spot year-in, year-out. Andre did an admirable job this year, but he's got more important duties to worry about.

Our OC needs to go. It needs to be said. It's been needed for six years, but this is the last straw. If I don't do my job to the level that satisfies my boss, I get fired. It should be that way. Toby Foreman should be the WO-S OC. Period. Randy Crouch needs to go. This has gone on long enough.

True, etbu, this game was more than just the goal line play. You are an awesome guy, I know you and respect you tremendously. However, even with all of the other factors that hurt us, our kids, on heart alone, gave us an opportunity for a miracle. The man calling the plays robbed them of that opportunity in the end. It was a big, unexcuseable mistake IN THE CLUTCH. He is a nice, good man who is probably a great influence on the kids. He can't call plays for crap. Move him to the line coach and promote Toby.

Someone earlier made the comment that if the spread offense is what got us here, what's the problem with running it deep in the red zone. That's not the issue. There is a time to abandon the regular playbook, and having the ball at the one inch line was a moment when we should have put the QB under center and run a QB sneak. We had four chances at this, and we blew it with dumb playcalling. One of the plays had the QB running a keeper up the middle...from the shotgun. That's unbelievable and unexcusable. This series gets most of the attention, but there are more storylines as to why we lost.

In the previous series, we had the ball at the 9 yard line and didn't get it in. This would have been a time to line up in a power I backfield, which we do have in our playbook, and take four shots at it. The reverse on 4th down was dumb. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but this simple geographical truth was never utilized in 8 tries within the 10 yard line.

This Giddings team was almost identical to the one we played last year. Their defense was a little better, but not great. They won because they executed better than we did, and our lack of execution was more a result of shooting ourselves in the foot than what Giddings threw at us. There were so many moments when we had receivers open, but Bevil had an off night throwing the ball. He's been so dang accurate all year, but misfired in this game. In the first half, he had Earl Thomas wide open running down the sideline in what would have been an easy TD.

We made mistakes in this game that we haven't made all year (even the Giddings coach noted that), most notably snapping the ball over the punter's head. That was a gift. Giddings got the ball at the 17 yard line and eventually scored. We had too many bad snaps and momentum killing penalties. However, we overcame most of this and STILL had a chance to win or tie late in the game. What we could not overcome was the playcalling.

The OC has shown a pattern of cracking in big game situations. I'm of the opinion that he doesn't deal well with thinking fast and clearly in pressure situations and big games. The problems (with the OC) being discussed on this thread have been repeated since the 2000 season. We tend to become too conservative and predictable in big games. I believe we will continue to fall short of expectations as long as he is calling the plays.

Someone earlier made the comment that if the spread offense is what got us here, what's the problem with running it deep in the red zone. That's not the issue. There is a time to abandon the regular playbook, and having the ball at the one inch line was a moment when we should have put the QB under center and run a QB sneak. We had four chances at this, and we blew it with dumb playcalling. One of the plays had the QB running a keeper up the middle...from the shotgun. That's unbelievable and unexcusable. This series gets most of the attention, but there are more storylines as to why we lost.

In the previous series, we had the ball at the 9 yard line and didn't get it in. This would have been a time to line up in a power I backfield, which we do have in our playbook, and take four shots at it. The reverse on 4th down was dumb. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but this simple geographical truth was never utilized in 8 tries within the 10 yard line.

This Giddings team was almost identical to the one we played last year. Their defense was a little better, but not great. They won because they executed better than we did, and our lack of execution was more a result of shooting ourselves in the foot than what Giddings threw at us. There were so many moments when we had receivers open, but Bevil had an off night throwing the ball. He's been so dang accurate all year, but misfired in this game. In the first half, he had Earl Thomas wide open running down the sideline in what would have been an easy TD.

We made mistakes in this game that we haven't made all year (even the Giddings coach noted that), most notably snapping the ball over the punter's head. That was a gift. Giddings got the ball at the 17 yard line and eventually scored. We had too many bad snaps and momentum killing penalties. However, we overcame most of this and STILL had a chance to win or tie late in the game. What we could not overcome was the playcalling.

The OC has shown a pattern of cracking in big game situations. I'm of the opinion that he doesn't deal well with thinking fast and clearly in pressure situations and big games. The problems (with the OC) being discussed on this thread have been repeated since the 2000 season. We tend to become too conservative and predictable in big games. I believe we will continue to fall short of expectations as long as he is calling the plays.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami