WO-S 13 Giddings 21- Final/Comments

KFDM COOP

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Football

How about instead of beating teams by 60, and running fake punts up by 36 points.... next year they work on fundamentals that win football games against worthy opponents. Like, when you have a 30 point lead, work on developing a FG kicker (down by 1 inside the 15), get out of the spread, and work on short yardage plays (2 and 3rd on the 1 yard line), work on punting.... getting the snaps.... those are the things that win these ball games. Seems to me like WOS arrogance caught up with them.

However, one argument supporting never taking a snap under center was Jasper a couple of years ago, they scored 47 points in a State Championship game, and they hadn't taken one snap under center the whole year.

Guest GoStangs

Running a reverse against a disciplined, good defense on 4th down was a bad play call, no matter how you slice it. Running out of the shotgun a few inches from the goal line also didn't make much sense. Bad snaps, slipping on the turf during cuts, and missing a few open receivers are things that happen from time to time. Anytime you lose, you're going to see more than one thing go wrong, and tonight, the wheels came off for WOS. On the other side of the field, Giddings played about as well as you could imagine -- few mistakes, solid play, and good coaching. In a big game, you have to raise the level of your play or else you won't win against a good team. Giddings just did what they had to do to win and WOS didn't.

Guest Orangeboy

It just doesn't seem right that we meet and barely lose to the #2 team in the state when Kville and Silsbee get friggin Sweeny and Columbia - does it?

Luck of the draw, You all had great seasons. Maybe next year.

it was a great game last night. unfortunately we came up a bit short on the scoreboard. giddings is a great team but in my opinion their offense looked almost the same as last year. we gave up 21 points again to them just like last year, however we weren't able to put 40 on them this year. costly mistakes and yes a much improved giddings defense turned out to be the difference. i know a lot of mustang hearts are broken and spirits might be a little down. but time will heal those wounds and personally for me i'm ready to do it all over again next year. 8)

Guest PurplePride
:D Great season WOS! I enjoyed keeping up with yall! Really thought yall would go all the way, I really did. Sounds like it was a close one though! Hold your heads high! You have a wonderful team!

Guest ECBucFan

It just doesn't seem right that we meet and barely lose to the #2 team in the state when Kville and Silsbee get friggin Sweeny and Columbia - does it?

It't tough, no doubt, but it just happens. EC seems to get #1 Mart in the second round almost every year.....We can relate. :?

It would have just made it worse when they beat WOS later in the playoffs! Nobody can complain about the matchups they are as fair as they can possibly be!

It was a great ballgame. Unfortunatly one of these teams has to lose. From what I saw Giddings came to play and WOS for the most part didn't. Lots of mistakes, the snap over the punters head, missing open receivers downfield, and receivers slipping at a bad time. Throw all that in with some questionable play calling and you get what you saw last night. A couple of times WOS had receivers open but the QB put just a little to much air under the ball and gave time for the Giddings defensive backs to catch up to the play. You've got to give Giddings credit though. They are a heck of a team and I'm sure they took WOS out of their game. Congradulations to WOS on a fine season and best of luck to Giddings on their march to the title.

Guest Bridge City Card

As both the Orange Leader and Beaumont Enterprise said Saturday " Coaching killed us". Giddings is a good team no doubt but mistakes and terrible play calling killed WOS. The WOS Defense did their part.

One obvious difference this game versus last year was no Beasley. Bevil looked confused with the pressure he faced and isn't near able to create offense like Beasley could. This is why #3 comes in to take snaps from time to time to give WO-S more of a threat at the QB spot. Personally with first and goal I thought #3 should have been taking the snaps.

Well truth be known(what I was told)' date=' our OC didnt call that reverse. He called an option(that was wide open) and some how the call got screwed up in the huddle. Maybe the crowd noise messed that play up.[/quote']

I doubt that, but it might be true. The decision to get the ball in the hands of #12 wasn't a bad decision. The reverse would have worked but #11 no doubt was keyed on Thomas and was just able to reach out and grab him and hold on to bring him down. Another step and Thomas would have trotted into the endzone.

Yeah, I felt like these were two really good and equally matched teams. WOS actually did a really good job of containing their offense, and actually I felt like the WOS offense played pretty well. But they made mistakes when they could not afford to. TO me, the main things that really killed them were the bad snap on the punt and the poor playcalling on the goal line.

Guest Bridge City Card
Yeah' date=' I felt like these were two really good and equally matched teams. WOS actually did a really good job of containing their offense, and actually I felt like the WOS offense played pretty well. But they made mistakes when they could not afford to. TO me, the main things that really killed them were the bad snap on the punt and the poor playcalling on the goal line.[/quote'] Mike is right. But the bad play calling on the GOAL LINE cost them.

Ok i just got back from the WOS game. Here's my take...

First of all WOS did a great job defensively stopping Mr. Almighty Fitzhenry. The problem in this game was the snap over the punters head' date=' that killed them.

BUT most important and i said this earlier in the year when i saw WOS play. The playcalling was terrible by the OC. WHY WHY when the ball was on the 1 yard line are you running the spread???????????? EVERYONE in the stands [b']including County Judge Carl Thibeadaux was pissed.

He wasnt pissed at any one individual. He was upset with the overall performance of our team. He and I were replaying the '98 Silsbee game in our heads. Fall downs, dropped passes, overthrows, etc. Things that you cant blame anyone for, just things that go wrong at the wrong time. Like he said, it should have never come down to that last play. It should have been 21-7 us at the half.

I personaly know how it feels as a player to get beat by yourself. Its something that has haunted me since. You just have to learn and go on. I had a very successful College and brief Arena carreer that the reason I was better was due to the fact that I knew what it was like to fail. I told myself I didnt ever want to feel like that again. Thats what I am trying to get to the kids, I am not saying to forget about it, it wont happen, I am just trying to tell them to learn from this. WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU WILL ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER! Take this bad feeling and turn it into something positive.

To #2 Rhodes.....you almost made an unimaginable play in that end-zone, you looked like you grew to 6'5" to get that ball. You better not blame yourself for not bringing it in. You shouldnt have even been able to touch it. You and Bevil, Franks, Garrett, Thomas, etc. have NOTHING to hang your heads about. Thank You! WE ARE VERY PROUD OF OUR MUSTANGS AND COACHES. You kept us old timers on our feet for another great year. We are blessed to have what we have. And you can take that to the bank

I am proud to be a Mustang! And you should too!!!!!!!!

Not sure it was a BC person, but OK - if you say so.

I have to agree with everyone, as I was there also, that when you (WO-S) can't punch it in from inside the 5 with 4 downs to try, something is wrong.

I am INDEED sorry to see you guys out of it. Obviously, there is no shame in falling to the team you lost to. Giddings is a worthy opponent, and deserved THIS win. But this was not the WO-S team everyone feared all year. The "O" looked out of sync all night, and never seemed to make the adjustments they needed to make. They had 3 opportunities to come away with points, if I remember correctly, and didn't convert on any of them. THAT and the bad snap(s) took you out of your game (there were 2 bad snaps, right? One on punt, one in shotgun that brought up 3rd and really long?)

You guys did make me proud for our District, and your ranking. Congrats on a GREAT season (AGAIN - Dang, when will it stop? :wink: ) and best of luck nine out of ten weeks next year!