Switch to 3-3-5 defense paying off for Vidor this season

Been saying all along it isn't our offense that's winning the games, it's the defense. It's why I have more confidence in this team than the 2009 one. The '09 Pirates were fair on defense with a good offense; this team has a good offense and the best defense we've had since Hatch was defensive coordinator.

[quote name="tupac7" post="1078615" timestamp="1318212145"]
Must give props to that offense...Keeping the opposing teams offense off the field makes the defense that much better. ;) ;)
[/quote]
True dat tupac7 but for me it's the proverbial offense wins games but defense wins championships. Proven formula that wins in any sport.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1078566" timestamp="1318209970"]
Been saying all along it isn't our offense that's winning the games, it's the defense. It's why I have more confidence in this team than the 2009 one. The '09 Pirates were fair on defense with a good offense; this team has a good offense and the best defense we've had since Hatch was defensive coordinator.
[/quote]

Look Rob,  it might look like I comment on alot of your posts but this one I cant let go.  Coming from a Parent that have kids that have played on both the 2009 team and now the 2011.  Comparing the two team defenses is like comparing apples to oranges.  Give the 2009 teams defense a chance to play this style 3-3-5 come and get you defense instead of the 3-4 wait and let the other teams offense pick you apart and that team makes a deep playoff run.  Both teams have great athletes on them but to say the 09 D wasnt as good as this 11 D is crazy.  Look at the rosters of the two teams.

[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1078748" timestamp="1318245986"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=89567.msg1078566#msg1078566 date=1318209970]
[/quote]

Look Rob,  it might look like I comment on alot of your posts but this one I cant let go.  Coming from a Parent that have kids that have played on both the 2009 team and now the 2011.  Comparing the two team defenses is like comparing apples to oranges.  Give the 2009 teams defense a chance to play this style 3-3-5 come and get you defense instead of the 3-4 wait and let the other teams offense pick you apart and that team makes a deep playoff run.  Both teams have great athletes on them but to say the 09 D wasnt as good as this 11 D is crazy.  Look at the rosters of the two teams.
[/quote]
TITAN POWER again, you're misquoting me. This has absolutely nothing to do with the kids on the field but everything to do with the defensive scheme. I HAVE NO KIDS ON ANY OF THESE TEAMS but I've been a Pirate fan all my 52 years of life and this is how I see it. You are correct in the belief that in 2009 we sat back and let the other team come at us, I agree. The Nederland game that year was a perfect example of letting a sophomore quarterback sit in the pocket with no pressure and pick us apart. Stupid. Quit taking things personally towards the kids, especially your kids. I used to help run a website about these kids in 2003 / 04. When you hear or see me say something bad about one of those children, you can be the first to let me know. Got nothing to do with them!

[quote name="robanadana" post="1078754" timestamp="1318246778"]
[quote author=TITAN POWER link=topic=89567.msg1078748#msg1078748 date=1318245986]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=89567.msg1078566#msg1078566 date=1318209970]
[/quote]

[/quote]
TITAN POWER again, you're misquoting me. This has absolutely nothing to do with the kids on the field but everything to do with the defensive scheme. I HAVE NO KIDS ON ANY OF THESE TEAMS but I've been a Pirate fan all my 52 years of life and this is how I see it. You are correct in the belief that in 2009 we sat back and let the other team come at us, I agree. The Nederland game that year was a perfect example of letting a sophomore quarterback sit in the pocket with no pressure and pick us apart. Stupid. Quit taking things personally towards the kids, especially your kids. I used to help run a website about these kids in 2003 / 04. When you hear or see me say something bad about one of those children, you can be the first to let me know. Got nothing to do with them!
[/quote]

Not taking anything personal.  Trust me,  you would know it if I was. Just stating a fact that this defense is no better than the 2009 D when it comes to talent and you cant compare the two without putting them in the same situation.  Now,  a good comparison is the 2010 group which is mainly the same group of kids we have today.  If we stayed in that same 3-4 bend and dont brake this year our record would be the same as it was in 2010.

I understand the changes and give credit where credit is due but I don't agree that Vidor held Jones to 22 rushing yards in the 2nd half...he played slot as opposed to rb and didn't get his hands on the ball as much as he should have. James had a few good runs in the 2nd half.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder