*****THE BEAUMONT BACKFIELD*****

SgtRey

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1068661" timestamp="1317260914"]
Why did Lamar not offer Reyes?
[/quote]
        One of my fellow Marines at Lamar said they were going to offer...Spring of his Junior Year...then one of the higher individuals said..."He's a Five-y"....in other words too short....so the offer never happened...Jr wanted to go to Lamar......(this was before Jr had the offer from Missouri Valley College)...Lamar asked him to walk on, BUT WAS NOT going to even give him a try out at QB...they said they had too many qb's on the roster, for those who know me....I'm not biased...even to my kids....I told them, the most battle tested QB...was Bruce...

Jr felt he could play QB...So did I.....in consulting with Former NFL QB and 2000 Heisman Trophy winner  Chris Weinke, who spent 16 days with Bruce in some very personal training sessions....he told Bruce, "Don't ever let anyone tell you, you can't play QB because of your size.......you have better footwork than some pros...."......the rest is history...

The QB's before Bruce at Missouri Valley College....(2010)  6' 3" 238 lbs, 6' 2" 217lbs, 6' 1" 203 .....Bruce Jr...is a "Five-y" at 195 lbs....and is now a starter as a true freshman(the first true freshman to start in a long time for MoVal) ...still competes with two very talented QB's... 6'3" 211lbs and 6' 1" 200 lbs....

I can't say what happened with the Central duo and Lamar....but I can assume... ;)

Best of luck to Bruce, may he break all the QB records at Missouri Valley College and possibly be one of the 1% of HS players to play at the highest level.

Yes, there are guys from NAIA schools that make it to the NFL. Not sure how many are QB through.

Lamar does have six QB's on the roster with one being 5-11 Doug Prewitt so I don't understand why his size was a big deal to the Lamar coaches.

I have to disagree about battle tested though as Prewitt and Bevil played against college competition.

If you are talking about other QB's I might agree.

Again, best of luck to Bruce and his future at Missouri Valley College. 

I know this doesn't apply to Bruce but a NAIA school can take a kid who can't qualify at a DI.

[quote name="bigred360" post="1069152" timestamp="1317338579"]
Best of luck to Bruce, may he break all the QB records at Missouri Valley College and possibly be one of the 1% of HS players to play at the highest level.

Yes, there are guys from NAIA schools that make it to the NFL. Not sure how many are QB through.

Lamar does have six QB's on the roster with one being 5-11 Doug Prewitt so I don't understand why his size was a big deal to the Lamar coaches.

I have to disagree about battle tested though as Prewitt and Bevil played against college competition.

If you are talking about other QB's I might agree.

Again, best of luck to Bruce and his future at Missouri Valley College. 
[b]
I know this doesn't apply to Bruce but a NAIA school can take a kid who can't qualify at a DI.[/b]
[/quote]
Yes...there are many D1 transfers at MoVal...the latest, a safety, from the University of Miami...he will play this weekend.....he and Jr have become very acquainted... ;D

a senior LB told Bruce last week..."In my time here, no QB has ever driven down the field and scored on the first defense(2 min drill).....there's something about you when u take the field......you just make everyone better...."...slapped his helmet and told him to keep it up....

That was some good stuff!!! ;D

Missouri Valley College is a very good NAIA program and they have won the National Championship before and finished second a couple of times.

He'll have some great memories playing at a school with a winning tradition and him being the 1st true freshman to start at QB in 25 years.

He'll be a legend there!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    malir
    Newest Member
    malir