PAM band question

The band did a nice job at the game against LaPorte. The LaPorte side gave them a standing ovation. I was entertained as well.

I have a question that's been bugging me for years though. What's the name of the song that causes the fans to pull out their umbrellas, put them over their head and start spinning them around??

That never fails to get me pumped up.

Guest TravelingBandsman

There's 3 classes of bands persay:

Military Marching Band (Nederland, Vidor, Crosby)

Corps Marching Band (PN-G, LC-M, Dayton, Barbers Hill)

Show Band (Central, PAM, Smiley)

Military and Corps participate in UIL, which alternates State Competition years between AA and AAAA in one year, and then AAA and AAAAA the year after that while two have an off year from State and the others have theirs and vice-versa.

This year was a AAA/AAAAA State Competition year.

I believe Show bands may have their own competitions, not sure. Beaumont Ozen though, had two shows, a show band show and a UIL Corps Show which they got a Division I with. Central however did a Show band show at UIL...got a Division IV.

And see, that's where we will have to agree to disagree. It might not be the same style of marching that we are accustomed to but it still takes practice, dedication, and talent to perform on the field.

I personally prefer Military style marching, but I can still appreciate and recognize Corps style for all that goes into it. The same goes for Show style.

As always, that's just my opinion. That and a quarter will get you a toy out of the vending machine at Market Basket. :D

I would hate having to participate in the UIL marching comp with less than necessary band when I was @SFA(stopped in the 10th grade). Central could care less what they grade out in UIL. They won first place @ a showband comp in Lake Charles. Most show bands have 2 routines: one for the UIL and one for the fans----show band comps. To eaches own. I leave when the other band comes on because it's either Aggie corp style or marching with circles......

Well to answer some of your questions about the MHS band (since I was in it and graduated in 2004) the song where the crowd always takes out their umbrellas for is called Do What You Wanna (southern university always play it) its like a new orleans cajun type song that the crowd enjoys...

And about the routine when i was at memorial and lincoln we had more than one routine the normal one and the UIL one (for compitition) the UIL one was just the normal one without any of the dancing.....but in recent years they havent even played in the UIL comp.

And finally there are many show band compititions we usually compete in.....

And now a question from me::::

Whats the difference between millitary style and corps style i always thought it was the same...

SFA if I don't agree with another post you make you hit hit the nail right on the head because Central really don't care what they get from UIL because its true they are a show band. They win battle of the band from Texas , Louisianna and California. It really gets me when people say they do not march or do routines and thats not ture. They march and do drills all the time. They can run circles or diamonds and even military all the time but people don't see it for the faster pace and different music and all they remember is the show part. All they see is the show time entertainment and fast pace marching. Everyone has their like and what they consider is best. You don't have march like a tin soldier to make it right or say thats correct to march that way. They use to do the CHS sign but stopped. A lot of people really don't understand the battle of band contest. Those kids are judge on marching, drum line, dance, flag, twirlers, style and entertainment. All I can say to schools who are watching them is look at the first part of performance because they do march....

SFA if I don't agree with another post you make you hit hit the nail right on the head because Central really don't care what they get from UIL because its true they are a show band. They win battle of the band from Texas ' date=' Louisianna and California. It really gets me when people say they do not march or do routines and thats not ture. They march and do drills all the time. They can run circles or diamonds and even military all the time but people don't see it for the faster pace and different music and all they remember is the show part. All they see is the show time entertainment and fast pace marching. Everyone has their like and what they consider is best. You don't have march like a tin soldier to make it right or say thats correct to march that way. They use to do the CHS sign but stopped. A lot of people really don't understand the battle of band contest. Those kids are judge on marching, drum line, dance, flag, twirlers, style and entertainment. All I can say to schools who are watching them is look at the first part of performance because they do march....[/quote']

ya i have to agree with you on that one cuz the first half of the show is usually a marching routine then its the dancing and show band type stuff and also when i was in the band at memorial/ lincoln we could care less what we made at UIL it was all about the "show band comps.)

Thanks for the answer pashsu.

I also liked Central's band when they came to Baytown early this year. Maybe even moreso than what they do at half, I like the fact they just constantly play in the stands. I hate whenm Lee band just sits around,m sit around...then decides to play boot scoot boogie, then sits around some more lol. Central played from the word go and didn't stop the whole first quarter I don't think

Guest TravelingBandsman

And now a question from me::::

Whats the difference between millitary style and corps style i always thought it was the same...

Military Marching bands are all about major precision. They only forward march and do a lot of flanking. Their guard does not move the flag around and everything is supposed to be extremely snappy. If you've seen Vidor, Nederland or Crosby, they're Military.

Corps Marching bands also rely on precision, but differently. They'll forward, backward, traverse, oblique and flank depending on what their marching show calls for. It is actually supposed to be a halfway mark between Military and Show but still considered competitive marching. More and more schools have been converting to Corps style ever since it was introduced a long time ago. Bands such as our own Dayton band, Port Neches-Groves, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Barbers Hill, Friendswood, Spring Westfield, Beaumont West Brook, La Porte, or Lumberton.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami