WOW!!!!!! PRIVATE SCHOOLS WILL BE ALLOWED TO JOIN UIL...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Texas-passes-bill-allowing-private-schools-to-jo?urn=highschool-wp1891&active_dimension=carousel_ept_sports_prep_rally&ysp_frm_woah=1

Article from today.... it reads all sports except football and basketball.... very interesting..

[size=18pt][b]THIS IS SERIOUS[/b][/size]

This is an email send out this week about private schools and the UIL.  The only reason this gets brought up is because most State Representatives will not put their kids in public schools.  They only put their kids in private schools.

Subject: Member Alert-UIL Legislation Action Needed Today /State Board Issue

To: TREA Members
From; Don Rogers
Subject: Private Schools in the UIL/ State Board of Education
Date: May 11,1011
I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW EFFECTIVE YOUR CALLS AND E-MAILS HAVE HELPED THIS SESSION. PLEASE DON'T STOP NOW.
1. This is the time during the legislative session when folks with bad legislation that has not survived the regular hearing process try to amend their legislation on to someone else's bill.
Such is the case with HB 370 by Hochbverg.
This is the bill that allowed a student to move to another district to participate in a sport that was not offered in their home district and be eligible in that sport only.
This bill passed the House and was sent to the Senate where it passed, but Senator Dan Patrick amended the bill with his legislation which allows private schools to participate in the UIL in all activities.
Now the bill must go back to the House where they will vote to concur with the Senate amendments or reject it and send it to a conference committee.
Please call your State Representative's office today and ask them to vote against HB 370 by Hochberg  as amended by the Senate.
In states where private schools compete with public schools the private schools have dominated because they do recruit and will always recruit.
Small schools are the most vulnerable.
This is urgent.You need to call today.

Don Rogers
Executive Director
TREA
1011 San Jacinto Blvd. Suite 204
Austin,TX 78701
512-423-0293

Some states are very liberal in the way they police their athletic leagues. Texas will be strict, the U.I.L. already has been with my high school.

Joey Brooks plays basketball at Notre Dame, he was also part of the Strake Jesuit state final four run a few years ago. He attended St. Anne's Catholic School during his junior high years, so did his sister, who went to St. Agnes and later became a cheerleader at Mizzou.

Their family chose a Catholic education, wrote checks for taxes as well as tuition for school. (mine did as well) Nobody can assume that Jesuit CP in Dallas, or St. Marks in Austin, or Strake Jesuit or St. Thomas in Houston are going to "RECRUIT" athletes only and then dominate in the U.I.L.

The larger private schools DO IT RIGHT (education first, zero tolerance for no pass, no play) and if one can't recognize that, then there will always be this back-and-forth bickering.

The schools, and I am biased toward them, that need TIGHT, TIGHT watch are the Humble Life Christian academies, and the Bay Area Christian Academies of the world... "the Oak Hill Academy(VA) types" who just bring kids in for the sake of creating a good basketball team.

My post opens up at least a dozen different directions of arguments that I'm not going to type out right now, but if you believe in your school system, whether it be a public district, a diocese, or home school even, and you can measure the results and pinpoint success from that system, then that's all that really matters right?

I love high school sports, because all that kid wants a chance to do is play against the kid on the other side of the field. Potentially that teen has a scholarship in mind. Slightly that kid will be making money playing sports one day. Parents and adults (not all of them) ruin the game every day and night. Over the years covering high school and college athletics, I've met some of the most gracious, humble parents, and some of the most stuck up individuals in the world.

If you asked a kid at Southlake Carroll if they would like a chance to kick a kid's ass at Strake Jesuit in soccer, that kid would jump up and love it (happened at the final 4 this year)

If you asked a Southlake Carroll parent (hypothetically) if they were ready to watch their kid's game against Strake Jesuit, chances are they would complain that SJ recruits, they shouldn't be in UIL, our kids are at a disadvantage, SJ doesn't deserve to be here.

Again, most larger schools don't really care, but Mid-sized private schools would dominate basketball, baseball, golf, volleyball, tennis, and soccer if they were allowed to join Class 3A or 2A. I have faith in the State of Texas regulating the U.I.L. like they have all along, fairly.

What they are proposing in Oklahoma is to allow the private schools in but at the next higher classification.  For example a Kelly (a 3A size school)  would be allowed into the UIL but would compete in Class 4A. This is their way of dealing with privates "recruiting"...

[quote name="88Warrior" post="1009298" timestamp="1305219776"]
What they are proposing in Oklahoma is to allow the private schools in but at the next higher classification.  For example a Kelly (a 3A size school)  would be allowed into the UIL but would compete in Class 4A. This is their way of dealing with privates "recruiting"...
[/quote]

It's called a multiplier... so take your enrollment and multiply it by 2x.... or 2.5x

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder