For folks in Orange who want Cornel Thompson to be coach......

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Scooter!" post="990800" timestamp="1301527824"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82208.msg990799#msg990799 date=1301527276]
An article in today's Leader makes me feel a whole lot better about the situation.
[/quote]I bet Toby gets it. Longevity. and coach T stays on as the DC but works with Toby on a Co-Head Coach type of thing.
[/quote]
Grad, I assume you're referring to the one concerning Mr. Colbert's selection process.  Yeah, I had a good feeling on that one, too.  Did you also read Van Wade's endorsement of Coach T?  Van Wade is THE MAN! 

Scooter, what do you mean clustering "Toby" and "longevity"?  Compared to Cornel Thompson, Toby has not been there very long.  His dad, Mark Foreman, has been there almost as long as Cornel.  Maybe you're confusing the two Foremans.

The best scenario would be for Cornel to take the reigns as AD/HC and Toby continue to grow and develop as an offensive coordinator.  Toby bleeds blue and silver.  He will (and SHOULD) be the best candidate to become HC at WO-S in the [u]future[/u].  Cornel Thompson is the best candidate to lead the program [u]now[/u]. 

[quote name="griff" post="990905" timestamp="1301546724"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=82208.msg990800#msg990800 date=1301527824]
An article in today's Leader makes me feel a whole lot better about the situation.
[/quote]I bet Toby gets it. Longevity. and coach T stays on as the DC but works with Toby on a Co-Head Coach type of thing.
[/quote]
Grad, I assume you're referring to the one concerning Mr. Colbert's selection process.  Yeah, I had a good feeling on that one, too.  Did you also read Van Wade's endorsement of Coach T?  Van Wade is THE MAN! 

[b]Scooter, what do you mean clustering "Toby" and "longevity"?  [/b] Compared to Cornel Thompson, Toby has not been there very long.  His dad, Mark Foreman, has been there almost as long as Cornel.  Maybe you're confusing the two Foremans.

The best scenario would be for Cornel to take the reigns as AD/HC and Toby continue to grow and develop as an offensive coordinator.  Toby bleeds blue and silver.  He will (and SHOULD) be the best candidate to become HC at WO-S in the [u]future[/u].  Cornel Thompson is the best candidate to lead the program [u]now[/u].   
[/quote]Toby is younger.  :)

I really cannot understand what all the fuss is about. This is a NO BRAINER!!! The administration can't be that dumb.

This SHOULD and IMO, will be Cornell's job. He deserves it. The time will come soon enough for Toby. I predict Cornell to stay another 5 years then the reigns will be handed over to Toby and he will be more than ready to take over.

It is just that simple folks.

Cornell, then Toby= continued success at WOS.

[quote name="griff" post="990905" timestamp="1301546724"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=82208.msg990800#msg990800 date=1301527824]
[/quote]

Scooter, what do you mean clustering "Toby" and "longevity"?  Compared to Cornel Thompson, Toby has not been there very long.  His dad, Mark Foreman, has been there almost as long as Cornel.  Maybe you're confusing the two Foremans.

[/quote]

Van told me he was doing one, but I didn't see it. 

And I agree, as to the right now, Cornel Thompson is the right guy for the job, period.

http://www.kogt.com/WOS%20Colbert%20interview.htm

The superintendent said a lot of coaches, particularly in the Dallas area, would love to come to West Orange-Stark to help their careers. They can come here, win a couple of championships and then go to a 5-A school, he said. That's not the kind of person he wants. He's leery of anyone who calls and asks about apartments. He wants a person who becomes part of the community.

Gary Stelly asked about the current offensive coordinator, Toby Foreman, and defensive coordinator Cornell Thompson, who both have applied. Stelly said one is older, with lots of experience, and the other is younger.

"Age-color. None of that has anything to do with it. I want to win," he said.

The new superintendent is a former University of Texas long jumper and was All-Southwest Conference. He also served as track and field team captain at the university and has coached.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="991149" timestamp="1301605232"]
http://www.kogt.com/WOS%20Colbert%20interview.htm

The superintendent said a lot of coaches, particularly in the Dallas area, would love to come to West Orange-Stark to help their careers. They can come here, win a couple of championships and then go to a 5-A school, he said. That's not the kind of person he wants. He's leery of anyone who calls and asks about apartments. He wants a person who becomes part of the community.

Gary Stelly asked about the current offensive coordinator, Toby Foreman, and defensive coordinator Cornell Thompson, who both have applied. Stelly said one is older, with lots of experience, and the other is younger.

"Age-color. None of that has anything to do with it. I want to win," he said.

The new superintendent is a former University of Texas long jumper and was All-Southwest Conference. He also served as track and field team captain at the university and has coached.
[/quote]He seems like he knows what he's doing.

orangeleader

Colbert expects Stangs to have coach hired in April

Van Wade The Orange Leader The Orange Leader Wed Mar 30, 2011, 01:22 PM CDT

WEST ORANGE — All students, parents and fans of the West Orange-Stark athletic program should just sit back and take a sigh of relief.

Why?

Because the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District has a plan, a plan that looks to be solid across the board in hiring a new athletic director and head football coach. Long-time AD and head coach Dan Hooks announced he was stepping down on Mar. 18.

Superintendent James Colbert Jr. has really gotten the ball rolling and is going into the situation head-first and is eager to be part of a special process.

The plan calls for a total of six candidates to be interviewed. [b]Current WO-S defensive coordinator Cornel Thompson and WO-S offensive coordinator Toby Foreman have been informed by Colbert they are already finalists for the job.[/b]

“Believe me, I’ve been bombarded with calls about who should get it and why they should get it,” said Colbert. “The entire community has such a vested interest in this decision. I’m still somewhat new to the community and the district but I can guarantee we’re going to get a coach that can get the job done, and we’re not just talking as just the head football coach either. We’re looking for someone that can oversee well across the board with excellent leadership skills.”

Colbert also stressed the process remains all about the kids in the district.

“The tradition here at West Orange-Stark is truly amazing and we want to keep it intact,” said Colbert. “We always want to do what is best for the kids in our school district, whether its academically or athletically. Both coincide with one another and we want our district to be well-represented across the board, whether it is at a academic challenge, a sporting event or in the community itself. We want the kids to feel good about their school and what they can achieve and I feel we’re laying out a good plan for that.”

Colbert has put together an excellent hiring process, beginning with a select hiring committee.

The committee includes Colbert; Hutcherson Hill, WO-S High School Principal; Margret DuChamp, Executive Director of Human Resources; Michael Washburn, Teacher/Tennis coach; Erick Guillory, Parent; and Wayne Sparrow, Community Representative.

“We’ve put together a superb team to go through this entire process,” said Colbert. “Hutcherson (Hill) and I will be surrounded by folks that know this community, this district and what they think is best for our kids. We’ve got another administrator involved, a teacher that has been involved in teaching our kids for many years, a parent and a pillar from our community. It’s going to be a genuine honest process all the way through.”

“We think it’s only fair for Coach Foreman and Coach Thompson to both have an opportunity for this position,” said Colbert. “They both know all the nuts and bolts of the program and have been integral components to the success of WO-S athletics for years. I’ve sat down and have had nice chats with both of them and they’re each excellent candidates. They will both be highly considered. We’ll also be looking at some excellent applications from the outside as well. We should receive a great deal of superb resumes from coaches that would love to come lead a program like the one that has been established here at West Orange-Stark. It’s going to be a process that we’re not going to take lightly.”

The job has been posted online since Tuesday and the WO-C CISD will receive applications for 10 days until Apr. 8.

The qualifications are: Valid Texas teaching certificate; Five years successful teaching and coaching experience; Knowledge of state and UIL policies governing athletics; Knowledge of overall operations of an athletic program; Ability to manage personnel; and effective communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills.

The salary range is $65,000-85,000 contingent upon qualifications and experience.

The first committee meeting will be Apr. 5 in which they will be reviewing the timeline and process along with developing a profile along with establishing interview questions.

“We’re going to have plenty of resumes to look through, some of them will certainly be excellent and some of them will not,” said Colbert. “That’s all a part of the process. We expect to receive more than 100 applications so we’ll have plenty to decipher.”

The district will close the job posting Apr. 8 and will have a second committee meeting Apr. 11 to select the candidates and those candidates will be notified Apr. 12.

Candidates will be interviewed Apr. 19 and the finalist will be interviewed Apr. 20.

The committee intends to inform the new AD Apr. 22 and will seek board approval Apr. 25 and the announcement will be official by Apr. 26.

“We want to move swiftly but fairly on this decision,” said Colbert. “We wanted to have someone aboard before May came around. We want the new AD to be acclimated to what the district wants to see accomplished along with getting a coaching staff lined up. Hiring assistants is not an easy task because you’re not only trying to find a coach but you’re also looking for a coach that matches a certain teaching field.”

Colbert has faith in the entire manner in which the selection will take place.

“We have excellent people involved and I think it is a truly a fair process,” said Colbert. “We’ll be looking at everything from all angles. It’s an important decision, we all know that and appreciate that.”

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="991191" timestamp="1301613692"]
Not good, can't see it working out with both interviewing.
[/quote]

It would seem to create hard feelings that would mean that, at the very least, one or the other would not be back.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="991202" timestamp="1301615292"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=82208.msg991191#msg991191 date=1301613692]
Not good, can't see it working out with both interviewing.
[/quote]

It would seem to create hard feelings that would mean that, at the very least, one or the other would not be back.
[/quote]

I tend to agree.

I disagree. I think (hope) the two have enough respect for each other to be able to continue to work together once the choice is made. I also think (hope) they would both be satisfied that the position was filled from within. And if there is any resentment it would not be towards each, maybe towards the decision makers but not each other.

[quote name="mat" post="991239" timestamp="1301621123"]
I disagree. I think (hope) the two have enough respect for each other to be able to continue to work together once the choice is made. I also think (hope) they would both be satisfied that the position was filled from within. And if there is any resentment it would not be towards each, maybe towards the decision makers but not each other.
[/quote]I was thinking something bout this as i got off work but im not gonna lay it on here. Grad check your PMs

[quote name="Scooter!" post="991264" timestamp="1301623890"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=82208.msg991239#msg991239 date=1301621123]
[/quote]I was thinking something bout this as i got off work but im not gonna lay it on here. Grad check your PMs
[/quote]

Got it and hit you back with one.

[b]Wade: Job should go to Thompson[/b]

Van Wade The Orange Leader The Orange Leader Tue Mar 29, 2011, 12:40 PM CDT

WEST ORANGE — Believe me, I’ve been receiving a slew of calls, e-mails, texts and have been facebooked to death on who the next AD and head coach should be.

To me, it should be cut-and-dry and the district should simply keep the job in-house.

I know who most of the WO-S faithful, past and present, want to see step into the head role, so maybe taking the applications are just some type of formality.

We, who have followed the tradition and program for the last 34 years, can only hope so.

There is a lot on the plate for WO-S administrators and school board members to decide on. It’s tough to find a new AD when, like almost all other schools in Texas, WO-S is going through a budget crisis. That crisis should be the top priority, of course.

[b]To keep the tradition and the current staff going would be the right thing to do, not only for the kids, but for the district as a whole.[/b]

I know how many hours these guys on the current staff have put in over the years. If they got paid by the hour, they all would have more cash flow than the current BISD superintendent Carroll Thomas. You can’t find too many coaching staffs that do that these days and the discipline they bring — stern but fair – is what WO-S thrives on. That is what WO-S has always been about.

Something tells me that if the district goes outside the box and hires someone from the outside looking in, there will be a mass exodus of the coaching staff and some poor soul will have to start from scratch. That’s when I will especially feel sorry for the kids and the overall school spirit of WO-S as a whole.

LC-M found that out the hard way going outside the box in 2005 after the departure of long-time excellent AD David Williams until 2009 when Randy Crouch stepped in. Now, the entire Bear athletic program seems to be doing just fine across the board.

Many people have even questioned me about how this looming decision could even affect the dropout rate as well at WO-S.

[b]Those reasons are why I feel the job should go to current Defensive Coordinator Cornel Thompson.[/b]

There will be others that will certainly be qualified just as much, including a couple others on the staff right now that I enjoy and have a lot of respect for and they know that.

[b]Coach Thompson, who is homegrown, has been there through thick and thin for well over 30 years. No one deserves this chance more than he does. No disrespect to any others who apply, but he has “earned his stripes” for this opportunity.[/b]

I’m sure other coaches from other schools are cringing right now on what the WO-S district decides. They’re going to be either thrilled and jumping up for joy or they will be like “Here we go again” when they face the West Orange-Stark Mustangs.

That decision is coming and it will be very interesting indeed.

coach toby foreman is a super (YOUNG)man and knows his football,he played at wo-s and was outstanding player.both of these guys are MUSTANG FAMILEY and know what it takes to win .toby has had some very good coaching in his hay days at WO-S ,i think his dad was part of the MUSTANG FAMILEY back then as well as cornel.has for hard feelings i DONT THINK SO. toby foreman Knows how Long  Thompson has waited for this job  and i feel sure toby and his dad have had a long talk about this.coach mark foreman and thompson have been FRIENDS A LONG LONG time

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="988159" timestamp="1301078873"]
[quote author=jumpstop link=topic=82208.msg988123#msg988123 date=1301074540]
Maybe the administration is ready for a change. I know a few board members that were happy to see Hooks retire and would like to shift the focus of WOS from "football" to "academics". I'm not saying I agree with their sentiment, but there are those that want to fill the power vacuum with someone they have more control over.
[/quote]

Well, focus on academic standards should always be the case.  Perhaps the change that needs to take place is that of the school board members themselves for when I attended West Orange-Stark, the school board and administration recognized that there was room for both.  

The academic decay is not due to the fact that Dan Hooks was coach for over 30 years.  That decay due to this particular school board's, many of which have been on the board for a while, use of standards and criteria other than ability and excellence of its administrators.  That lead to choosing administrators which were inept while overlooking administrators who were capable of ensuring the students of WOCCISD an adequate education.

I'll delay judgment on Mr. Colbert as he has just come aboard, but will note that he is the first superintendent at WOCCISD to not have a doctorate in education.

So I guess given the above history, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Coach Thompson is not at the top of their list as ability and excellence is usually not a standard they use, anyway.
[/quote]

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is different from the info that I'm getting. As for the doctorate in education goes, it didn't get us anywhere with the last guy.

[quote name="td" post="992556" timestamp="1301924558"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82208.msg988159#msg988159 date=1301078873]
Maybe the administration is ready for a change. I know a few board members that were happy to see Hooks retire and would like to shift the focus of WOS from "football" to "academics". I'm not saying I agree with their sentiment, but there are those that want to fill the power vacuum with someone they have more control over.
[/quote]

Well, focus on academic standards should always be the case.  Perhaps the change that needs to take place is that of the school board members themselves for when I attended West Orange-Stark, the school board and administration recognized that there was room for both.  

The academic decay is not due to the fact that Dan Hooks was coach for over 30 years.  That decay due to this particular school board's, many of which have been on the board for a while, use of standards and criteria other than ability and excellence of its administrators.  That lead to choosing administrators which were inept while overlooking administrators who were capable of ensuring the students of WOCCISD an adequate education.

I'll delay judgment on Mr. Colbert as he has just come aboard, but will note that he is the first superintendent at WOCCISD to not have a doctorate in education.

So I guess given the above history, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Coach Thompson is not at the top of their list as ability and excellence is usually not a standard they use, anyway.
[/quote]

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is different from the info that I'm getting. As for the doctorate in education goes, it didn't get us anywhere with the last guy.
[/quote]

Grad you should go meet the guy. He is very personable and easy to talk to. We also have the right guy at the high school. Things are on the right track at WOS. It's a marathon and not a sprint but we appear to be headed in the right direction.

CT gets the job and Foreman stands strong for WOS. Do not look for anyone to fill the gap because these 2 guy can do what it
take to get the job done. With teachers being cut at every school this make a lot a sense,do not fill a postion that does not
need to be filled. You have your DC as your AD and your OC standing strong and doing what he does best. The best of both worlds.
Bring in an outsider at this time could crush WOS football in the near future.

[quote name="td" post="992561" timestamp="1301925404"]
[quote author=td link=topic=82208.msg992556#msg992556 date=1301924558]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82208.msg988159#msg988159 date=1301078873]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Grad you should go meet the guy. He is very personable and easy to talk to. We also have the right guy at the high school. Things are on the right track at WOS. It's a marathon and not a sprint but we appear to be headed in the right direction.
[/quote]

I agree TD, I have not met him, but very close to someone that has. That person said the same you did. He is very open and loves to talk with passion about WOS. I too finally believe the stars are alighning here at WOS. Lets hope its not to late.

Mr. Colbert is a good man, I've seen his resume.  And one of the reasons that I will give him a bit longer before judging him is that he has a bit of work to do in undoing the work of not only his predecessor the but the superintendent before him.

No doubt about that and things that he has said make me feel a bit better about the selection process for the next football coach.  But what was told to me still nags at me.  I will hope that the decision made shows that I need to find other sources for my information.

As to Mr. Hill, I could not agree more.  He seems to be in tune with what needs to happen at WO-S.  His predecessor, however, was a CLASSIC example of what I was talking about.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami